IELTS Cue Card Sample 65 - Describe a city you have visited
- Last Updated: Thursday, 20 October 2016 15:47
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 25121
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a city you have visited /
Describe your favourite city.
You should say:
- what is the name and where is it
- when you visited it.
- why did you like it
- what are the attractive places of this city
and explain what influence did the city have on you.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in a big city?
What changes have you observed in your city in past 5 years?
Name some good tourist spots in your city?
Why do you think living in your city is a good choice?
Sydney is my favourite city among the cities I have visited so far. Sydney is the state capital of New South Wales of Australia. This city is situated on the bank of Tasman Sea and has around 4.6 million people. I have visited this city in 2008 after I finished my graduation and loved my stay there. Sydney had many attractive natural areas, botanic gardens, parks, and high rising buildings. This city has many heritage listed buildings that attract the tourists and visitors. The Sydney Opera House is one of the most recognised landmarks in Australia and is a great place to visit.
This city is known for the dynamic cultural hub and it has many famous museums, galleries and art galleries as well. Because of the great architecture, warm weather and hundreds of tourists attraction more than 11 million international and domestic tourists visit this city each year. I had been there for about 15 days and I really enjoyed everything about this city. I stayed at a 20 storied hotel that offered a really amusing sight views. The transportation system of the city is better than many other cities and I could have been maintaining the track and time of my schedule because of that. I loved being at open & wide spaces in the gardens and parks. People are welcoming and friendly there. A tourist can get necessary help both from people and the authority and can roam easily without any interruption. I saw 2/3 art museum and some cultural festivals and those were awesome.
There are so many places to be, so many things to do in Sydney. Some of the attractive places are Royal Botanic Garden, Hyde Park, Queen Victoria Building, Sydney Town hall, Macquarie Lighthouse, Australia Square, Sydney Opera House and so on.
I had a tremendous vacation in Sydney and I liked most of the places there and I enjoyed so much that I did not even notice how quickly the 2 weeks scheduled time has passed.
Tips for Answering this Cue Card Topic:
Talk about any city that you have really been to and tell the details of this city as well as your experience of this visit. Do not just talk about any random city that you have never been to as this might arise question to the examiner’s mind. If you have not been to a foreign country ever, talk about any city in your country.
Mention the following points to make it a good answer:
1. Name of the city & country it is in.
2. If there are more than one city with the same name (which might be the case in many countries) clearly state which one you have visited.
3. Give the reason for your visit (Travel, visiting someone, tour, business visit etc.)
4. Who was with you?
5. When you planned to visit this city and when you actually visited it.
6. If you have visited this city more than once, try to describe your latest visit experience there as that would give more accurate information about this city.
7. Things to watch, do and other activity of this city. Famous places of this city and tradition of this city.
8. Mention your attachment and liking of this city. Give some reasons why you like this city.
If the topic is “Your favourite city”, you should slightly change the way of speaking about this topic. Start by saying that this is a city that offers many recreations, tourists’ activity and your memory regarding this city. Also, mention the historical and traditional culture of this city and why it is a good city to visit and stay.
Similar Cue Card Topics:
1. Describe a city you have planned to visit.
2. Describe your latest visit to a city.
3. Describe a famous city you have been to.
4. Describe a city you have never been to.
5. Describe a trip you recently have.
6. Describe a study excursion you have had.