Academic IELTS Writing task 1 Sample 74 - Average household expenditures in a country

» You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

The pie charts below show the average household expenditures in a country in 1950 and 2010.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

» Write at least 150 words.

Academic IELTS Writing task 1 Sample 74

Sample Answer 1:
The provided two pie charts show the expenses made in housing, food, health care, education, transportation and other items in a country in 1950 and 2010. As is observed from the pie charts, in 1950 almost two-third expenditure was in housing whereas this average expenditure has been increased for food, transportation etc. in 2010.

According to the given data, more than 70% expenditure was in housing in 1950. The second most expenditure in this country was in food. All other expenditures including health care, education, transportation etc. were less than 20% in total. After 60 years the trends of expenditure in this country significantly changed. People’s expenditure in housing decreased to only 22% while the expenditure for food increased to 34%. Interestingly the expenditure on education decreased over time while the expenses for transportation increased to 14%. All other expenditure in 1950 was only 4.4% which increased to 19.2% in 2010 which indicates the new addition on category where people started expensing than they did in 1950.

In summary, the expenditure nature of people had changed significantly in 2010 than that had been in 1950.

Model Answer 2:
The two pie charts illustrate the average household outlay by major category in 1950 and 2010.

Overall, in both years, significant expenditure were on housing and food which together covered the most of  outlay while other spending wrapped the least amount of spending. However, in 2010, spending were escalated in every category.

In 1950, health care expenditure was 2.4% whereas it increased by almost 2% in 2010. There was dramatical inclinaition in the other spending which became 19.2% in 2010 which was only 4.4% in 1950 . Similarly, the outlay on transportation was elevated in 2010 by 10%.

The expenditure on  housing as well as education were only plummeted in 2010, 72.1% to 22.0%, 6.6 to 6.3% respectively. 11.2% of spending was on food in 1950 while it  increased extremely in 2010 by 22.5%.

[ Written by - Harpreet ]

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 3.33 (3 Votes)

Comments   

-1 # Ayman 2015-11-26 18:50
Please could you tell me which one is grammatically correct ,

The provided pie charts shows (as you wrote up) or ( show ) as you did in other bar chart, I noticed you wrote them like show and shows in different task.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
0 # IELTS Mentor 2015-11-26 20:58
Dear Ayman,

if you use 'charts' the verb form would be 'show'. Alternatively if you use 'chart', the verb form would be 'shows'. If you notice exception to this, consider it as a typo and please notify us so that we can correct those immediately.

Thanks for your nice comment.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
+5 # Sandy 2015-07-29 23:08
The pie charts compare the average spending by each household on six different categories in two separate years.

It is clear that the largest proportion of expenditure was spent on housing in 1950 whereas spending on food overtook housing in 2010, becoming the main source of expenditure among the six categories. By contrast, spending on health care remained as the smallest cost in both years.

In 1950, more than two third of household expenditure went on housing, at about 72%. The percentage of food expense followed it, making up of 11% of the total expenditure. By contrast, while food expense rose dramatically by about 23%, to 34% in 2010 became the leading cost in each household, expenditure on housing fell considerably by 50% and occupied 22% of the total household spending.

While both expenditure on transportation and other increased by more than 10% over 60 years, there was a slight drop in the percentage of education expense from 6.6% to 6.3%. Finally, health care remained as the smallest payment in both years, at 2.4% and 4.5% respectively.

(177 words)
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote

Add comment


Security code
Refresh