IELTS Cue Card Sample 507 - Describe a night when you could not sleep at all
- Last Updated: Monday, 04 December 2017 17:18
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 4315
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a night when you could not sleep at all.
You should say:
- when it happened
- where you were then
- why you could not sleep that night
and explain how you felt about it.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
I often go to bed at late night and a sleepless night is not a rare experience for me. Remaining awake to prepare for an approaching exam is the most common reason I spent wakeful nights. However, for this cue card topic, I would like to talk about a night I spent at a hospital and could not sleep even for a second.
It was 2015, probably the mid-July and all of a sudden my grandfather got severely all. The doctor who came to our house to check my grandfather advised us to take him to the city hospital. We called for an ambulance and took my grandpa to the hospital. My parents, two cousins, my eldest uncle and my youngest aunt were in the hospital. They were all very worried and my aunt was sobbing ceaselessly. We were all worried about the well-being of my grandpa. The doctor told us that it was wise of us to bring the patient to the hospital without any delay as it could have been very disastrous. This doctor also informed us that the doctor's panel who were observing my grandpa's sickness history and previous medical records have decided to operate his that night. He also assured us that this was a minor operation and we had nothing to worry about as the best doctor in the town was happen to be there that night. In spite of the doctor's assurance, we were concerned.
At around 11.00 pm the doctor operated my grandpa and he was unconscious. I stayed at the hospital until the next noon and could not sleep at all.
Frankly speaking, I was not bothered about sleeping at all. A hospital is not a place where a patient's relatives and family members can sleep. I prayed to the Almighty to help my grandpa get well soon. At around 4.30 in the morning came to us and gave us a good news. My grandpa was conscious at that time and he wanted to see us. That was a great news indeed and we thanked the sister who gave us this news. That was a big news for us as it confirmed that my grandfather was doing okay.
It was a sleepless night but I did not feel dizzy or sleepy at all. My thought was worried about something else. My brain must have been busy thinking about the sickness and wellbeing of my grandfather and the expresso coffee also released some of my tiredness. I slept next day at around 3.30 pm and my grandfather was out of any danger at already. Interestingly I slept almost 14 hours as I can recall.
Sample Answer 2:
Waking up all of a sudden at night or sleeping less is really an irritating issue. But in some cases, people are to pass sleepless night due to some reasons. In last month, I had to pass a sleepless night too because of an important exam on the next day. I would like to thank you for this chance to talk about it.
I am a student of Allahabad University in India and having my undergraduate in History. I appeared on the semester final examination of my third phase last month. It was an important exam and the course was a bit difficult. The course was on Indian History. In fact, it was one of the most difficult courses in the entire semester. I was not prepared well for the subject. It happened as I did not like the course and had paid less attention to it. Accordingly, I felt the necessity to complete the entire syllabus right before the night of the exam.
Since my native village is far from the university, I used to live in a dormitory adjacent to the university. It was a 10-minute walk from the university. I had two other roommates and every one of us was the student of the same class and university. Hence, the situation was the same for all of us. But it was worst for me as I did not have the slightest idea about the course. I just attended the class for achieving the attendance marks, especially with this Indian History. Luckily, my roommates had helped me greatly on that night. If I were in any other place other than my dorm, I think it would have been impossible for me to pass the course.
As I told before, I did not have any interest in history. Further, remembering the dates, events and other relevant issues of history was really difficult for me. So, I planned that I would start preparing the course on a day before the exam. Usually, there are gaps between exams and I planned to use the gap between two exams. In fact, I did it before and it proved successful for me. I have attended almost all the exams by studying one or two days before the exams. Unfortunately, there were no gaps before this Indian History course. So, it really was difficult for me and I was surprised. Therefore, I had to wake up around the night and could not manage even an hour to sleep. Since I was unaware of the course outline or potential texts, I had to read all the available reading materials the night before the exam.
It was hard for me to manage everything. There were lots of texts and most of them dealt with the events of historical importance related to India. The course dealt with the events of empires, rulers and the aftermaths of such events. So, I could not read the detail of the events and summarised them to make remembering easier. Besides, my roommates also helped me to a great extent on the issue. With their support and with the cost of a sleepless night, I appeared on the exam. The grading is yet to be published and I hope I could manage to pass the course at this time. However, this was a lesson for me. I had to spend the sleepless night only for my negligence. If I were sincere enough with the course, I could have a good figure. Now I am sincere about the issues. It was one of the greatest learning of my life.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a night when you could not sleep at all.
1. I do not want to watch horror movies and last weekend, I had to pass a sleepless night. I went to visit my maternal uncle in Seattle and met with the cousins. They were fond of horror movies and compelled me to watch one. But the impacts were disastrous. I could not sleep at that night. Whenever I closed my eyes, I saw the events before me. The experience was not entertaining at all. Literally, I slept when the night was over.
2. I had to pass a sleepless night a couple of weeks ago when I went to my village in Uttar Pradesh. I went to the rural area to meet my parents and other family members. But I did not know that they were arranging a musical event for an entire night. Some of the local musicians performed in the event. So, I had to sacrifice my rest for that night and later, slept on the daytime. But I enjoyed the event to the last minute.
3. I am unable to stay awake at night but recently I had to remain awake for the entire night. I was arranging an event at my university. It was the annual sports competition of my university here in Greece and I was assigned to complete some tasks before the event day. But owing to sickness, I could not complete them in due time and had to work hard to complete them before the event day. So, I could not sleep that night. It was an irritating experience for me.
4. During the last week of September, I passed a sleepless night. In fact, I was at my friend’s place to celebrate a bachelor party. We had a plan that will not sleep on that night and make fun. Everything went well we had tons of fun. The barbeque party was outstanding. But there was no liquor for us and we just drank soft beverages during the party. I felt glad indeed. Actually, it was a great gathering for us and all of us were childhood friends. Becoming together is tough for us for the hefty life.
5. I never prefer to pass sleepless night but this time I had to change my decision. I was in the middle of a cabin on a train. It was an official journey to the northwest part of Germany. I had another partner with whom I played cards for the rest of the night. In fact, I am unable to sleep in outside and it is out of the question that I will sleep in a train compartment. Besides, there were less sleeping arrangements in the cabin. But it was an interesting journey indeed I made so far.