IELTS Cue Card Sample 75 - Describe an occasion or event when you were congratulated
- Last Updated: Sunday, 10 September 2017 13:26
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 24114
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an occasion or event when you were congratulated.
You should say:
- what was the occasion
- when was it
- who congratulated you and why
and explain how did this make you feel.
We all get appreciations for the good things we do for others or for our great achievements or personal excellence. One such occasion when I was congratulated was the time when our debate team won the district/ county level championship.
It was 2001 and I was a student of grade 8. I was an active member of our school debate team and had participated different solo and team debate competitions. The yearly inter-school division/ county level championship is considered to be a prestigious tournament and the final is broadcasted on local TV channels as well as on the radio. Our school had never been able to win the championship before 2001, though some of the debate teams participated till the semi-final round of the championship. This year I was the captain of the debate team and to everyone's great surprise, we won the final. Most of the people of our city watched the final on TV and had been very excited, happy and proud that we won. The school arranged a ceremony to congratulate us for our achievement and I found more than 5 hundred students, their guardians and local people were present there. I was so proud, happy and excited about the occasion and when all those people started congratulating me, I felt like I was flying above the sky.
Later I received many congratulations and appreciations in my life but the excitement and joy I felt on that occasion was incomparable. We walked through the long line towards the stage and people stood up and clapped their hands and were greeting us. Out teachers, local political leaders, upper-level government employees and renowned persons of the locality were also present there. The program lasted for 2/3 hours and we got many gifts and bouquets as well.
Tips for answering this cue card topic:
This cue card demands you to talk about an occasion when other people congratulated you for something good you did or achieved. Start this cue card speaking topic by clearing describing the occasion. Also, mention how old you were at that time and what was the reason of this occasion. Since the second question asks “when it was”, try to give the year of the occasion and if this is not possible mention how long ago it was and how old you possibly were at that time.
There can be two different scenarios for the occasion of the congratulation:
1. That was to reward you for a fine performance or extraordinary achievement.
2. You did something mention-worthy and good for others and people congratulated you for that.
Mention what type of scenario was for you and who were present there. Mention the type of congratulation you received and how you felt about it. The final question of this cue card asks you to express your feeling about the occasion, achievement, reaction towards the applauses and congratulations.
Some of the occasion people usually get congratulation, applauses and greetings that you can talk about for this cue card topic:
1. Birthday/ Marriage day/ Becoming parents/ getting engaged etc.
2. Being selected as the captain of a team/ getting admitted in a renowned college or university etc.
3. Extraordinary academic performance and result/ being nominated for the scholarship/ getting jobs etc.
4. Being able to quit smoking/ a bad habit etc.
5. Doing something brave/ helping someone in danger/ rescuing someone etc.
If you can answer this cue card topic, you should be able to answer the following cue card topics as well:
1. Describe a memorable event in your life.
2. Describe one of your achievements.
3. Describe a happy occasion of your life.
4. Describe something exemplary you did.
5. Describe an event when you helped others.
6. Describe a party/ occasion you recently had.
7. Describe a change that happened in your life.
8. Describe an event when people applauded you.