IELTS Cue Card Sample 201 - Describe an important email you have received
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 04 July 2017 16:02
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 20217
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an important email you have received.
You should say:
- Who sent it to you.
- When you got it.
- What was it about
And explain why this email was important to you.
I have received many important emails and out of these, I would like to talk about the email that I got from the HR of a Telecom company that confirmed my part time job there. When I was a student of 6th semester of the university, I needed to manage a part-time job. I applied for several jobs but my dream job was to work as a consultant for a major telecom company in my country. It was not easy to get the job as so many candidates apply for the job and the company prefers the full-time employees than the part-time employees.
One day I got an email from Mr. Atherton (...say a name common in your country...) and I found that it was from the telecom company where I was interviewed. It was early November 2001 and that time I was around 22 years old. I opened the email went to the details of the email very quickly. My heart was pounding and I felt really good when I found that the email confirms my appointment as a part-time employee for this company. I re-read the email and took a print out as well. The email was sent to me by the Head of the Human Resource department of the company.
It was a very important email for me as I was desperately expecting to work for this company and the email confirmed my joining there. Secondly, this was the first job confirmation of my life and I needed this job at that time. So this was very exciting news for me and that's why this was a very important email for me.
Tips for answering this Cue Card Question:
For this cue card topic, you can talk about one of the following emails or the one of your own:
1. Email from a company about your job confirmation.
2. Email from a university about the confirmation of your acceptance there.
3. Email from a friend from a foreign country.
4. Email from a family member whom you have not seen for a long.
5. Email that confirms your acceptance in a scholarship program.
6. Email from your company that confirms your promotion.
7. Email from a dear friend.
8. Emil from the Embassy that confirms your Visa to a foreign country.
9. Email from a family member that confirms the good news you were looking for a long.
For the first question say the name of the sender name if it came from someone known. If it was from a university or a company, say that it was from the admission, information department and the name of the sender was ….. and it was from the … department. Mention that you have never personally met this person but it was probably someone from the university/ office/ embassy authorised to send yu the email.
For the next question, you can say the exact date (month and year would be okay) when the email came to your email address and then the time when you actually read it.
The third question asks you to talk about the reason you got this email. This is the most important part and here you have to be very convincing about your description of the topic and reason of the email. Give some background details that relate to the email and that would clearly describe the reason you got this email to the examiner.
For the question, why this was important, you can mention some of the following reasons. Note that the following points give only the idea that you are required to elaborate:
1. This was a long expected email that you were eagerly waiting for.
2. This email confirms a very important event/success of your life and hence this was utmost important to you.
3. You were very relieved after you got this email.
4. This email contained a very good news that made you really happy.
5. This email contained one the best news you got recently.
6. This was a long waited email from a friend/ family member.
Your ability to talk about this Cue Card Topic would also enable you to talk about the following Cue Card Topics as well:
1. Describe an important letter you received.
2. Describe a good news you got recently.
3. Describe an important event you recently went through.
4. Describe an email that you recently sent to someone.