Academic IELTS Writing task 1 Sample 5 - Mobile phones and landlines per 100 people in selected countries
- Last Updated: Friday, 23 September 2016 22:38
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 19044
» You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The chart shows the number of mobile phones and landlines per 100 people in selected countries.
Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information given.
» You should write at least 150 words.
Model Answer 1:
The supplied bar graph shows data on the number of cell phone and land phone users in 6 countries in the Europe and the American regions. As is observed from the presentation, the number of landline users in Denmark, US and Canada are higher than the number of cell phone users in these countries. On the contrary, in Italy, Sweden, Denmark and Germany the cell phone users are higher in number than that of land phone users.
In Italy, Sweden, UK and Denmark almost 80-90 percent people use the cell phone. Among these six countries, Italian people are highest in percent in terms of cell phone usages whereas the highest percentages of land phone users are found in Denmark which is almost 90%.
The difference between cell phone and land phone users is highest in Italy and in Denmark these two types of users are almost similar. The lowest number of land phone users can be found in Canada.
In summary, North America has more Land phone users than their cell phone users and most of the European people prefer to use mobile phones over land phones.
(Approximately 187 words)
Tips for answering this writing question:
1. The graph does not mention any year from past so your answer should be in present tense. Example: Around 70% German people use mobile phones whereas the land phone users of this country are 60%.
2. Notice the fact that, in USA, Canada and Denmark, the number of land phone users are higher than the mobile phone users. In other four European countries, the opposite trends can be observed where cell phone users are more than the land phone users.
3. The data are given in percentage so mention them as percentages, not in an absolute value.
4. No past year is mentioned in the illustration, so use present tense to present your writing. Example: 90% Italian people use cell phone whereas only 41% of them use the land lines.
5. Mention which countries have the highest and lowest land phone and cell phone using percentage in your answer as these are two important facts are present in the graph. For instance: The highest percentage of cell phone users are Italian whereas their percentage of using the land phone is lowest among the given countries. On the contrary, Denmark has the highest percent of land phone users and this percentage is lowest in Canada.
Summary of the bar graph:
The given graph compares the percentages of land phone and cell phone users in 7 different European and American countries. As is given in the illustration, the numbers of cell phone users are higher than the land phone users are in Italy, Sweden, UK and Germany. On the contrary, the land phone users are higher than cell phone users are in Canada, US and Denmark. Also, Italy has the highest percentage of mobile phone users and also the lowest land phone users. Finally, Denmark has the highest percentage of landline users and Canada has the lowest percentage of land phone users among the given 7 countries.
Sample Answer 2:
The given illustration gives data on the number of mobile and land phone users in six different countries namely: Canada, US, Germany, UK, Sweden and Italy.
As is presented in the chart Canada, US and Denmark have more land line users than the cell phone users while the opposite is true for Germany, UK, Sweden and Italy where the cell phone users exceed the number of land phone users. In Canada, the US and Denmark the numbers of cell phone users per 100 are consecutively 38, 48 and 71 while the landline users are 61, 38 and 87. On the other hand, the remaining 4 countries have much more mobile phone users than the land line users. The Italian people use the highest percentage of land phones and lowest percentage of cell phones on an average. On the contrary, Canadians use the lowest number of cell phones per 100 people while the mobiles phone users are almost half of the total land phone users.
In summary, US and Canada have higher land phone users than the cell phone users while the European prefers to use cell phones than the land phones.
(Approximately 191 words)
Sample Answer 3:
The given bar graph depicts the mobile or land phone numbers per 100 people in different seven countries. The first point to note is that highest number of phones used by the people in Denmark.
It occupied almost an equal number of mobile and land phones that is 82% and 86% respectively. Canada and the USA have almost half of it users of mobile phones which are 38% and 48% respectively. 70% German people has mobile phones while other British countries like UK, Sweden and Italy has more than the number of Denmark with 85%, 88% and 90% respectively. In the case of land phones, the lowest number was in Italy with 42% and the UK with 58%. Whereas Germany, Canada and Sweden have almost equal numbers with 60%, 62% and 65% respectively.
To sum up, it is clear from the graph that, the number of mobile phones has variations, whereas land phones have average use in all the given countries.
(Approximately 157 words | Written by - Jayesh Joseph)