IELTS Cue Card Sample 483 - Describe a party that you enjoyed
- Last Updated: Thursday, 14 December 2017 16:52
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 40587
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a party that you enjoyed.
You should say:
- what it was about
- where the party was held
- what people did during the party
and explain what you enjoyed about this party.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
Ooh, parties! That conjures up so many different possibilities. Children’s parties with jelly and ice cream and silly games like ‘pin the tail on the donkey’ when I was little, or more ‘serious’ celebratory reception parties after a wedding. However, the most recent party I went to was neither of those things, and it was great!
I’m going to tell you what it was about; where it was held; what people did during the party (which might be a bit unexpected) and explain what it was that I enjoyed about this party in particular.
So, the occasion was a birthday, but not for a person, for an event. In the UK – and indeed in many other countries worldwide now, there is an organisation called 'parkrun'. This umbrella group sets up free, inclusive running events all over the country. I think at last count there were 406 of these runs taking place every Saturday at 9.00 a.m. at different locations throughout the UK. Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. The initiative first started about 10 years ago, with just one run, now it has expanded and new runs start up all the time. It has become something of a tradition that every community run celebrates their ‘birthday’ on the anniversary of the date on which they were first established. It is a good excuse for an annual prize giving, conversation and lots of cake! This particular party was at a parkrun that is reasonably local to me, although not my ‘home’ parkrun, I made a special trip to their event to join in their celebrations.
The ‘party’ was held at a place called Graves Park in Sheffield. It is a lovely public open space, which also has a small animal park, so part of the 5km run takes you past an eclectic mix of animals including highland cows; alpaca; donkeys; pigs and a couple of curious goats. Everyone assembled in time for the usual Saturday 9.00 a.m. start to take part in the run, but because it was the Graves parkrun’s fourth birthday everything was a bit different from normal...
So in terms of what people did at the party? Well, we all ran 5 km for a start. That’s not what usually happens at a birthday party, but it is what always happens at a parkrun. In other ways though, the event was a bit more unexpected. The main change was that the course was run in reverse. This was quite comical, as it is confusing running in the ‘wrong’ direction, and meant some of the steep uphill climbs on the usual route were replaces with death-defying downhill scrambles! It’s a bit like trying to cross your arms the wrong way round, you’d think it would be easy or at least ‘no different’ from how you usually do it - until you actually try. Go on, have a go, you’ll soon see what I mean! The next difference was that lots of us were in fancy dress! I’ll wear fancy dress at any excuse. I have a child’s toy wrap-around pony costume. It looks great, like I’m riding a miniature pony, but is in fact incredibly light and easy to run in. Other people wore onesies (all in one jumpsuit made to look like animals). A few men wore drag (dressed in women’s clothes) some more imaginative runners came dressed up as Roman soldiers (complete with helmets and large circular shields) or various cloaked superheroes (Batman and Robin and Wonder Woman just for starters). It was great fun, we must have been quite a sight, some 250 runners or so storming round in ridiculous outfits. At the end of the run, lots of people had brought sweets or cake with them to share as part of the birthday celebrations. We all adjourned to a convenient café within the park for a good-humoured prize giving. Lots of awards were handed out, not just for running fast but for humorous things too. Champion volunteer; fastest canine (there is a whippet that regularly takes park, and sometimes its owner’s even auctions the opportunity to run with the dog as it will drag the runners round and give them a chance of getting a really fast time!) I clapped in recognition as the prizes were awarded, but, most exciting of all, there was one extra prize. For ‘Best Fancy Dress Costume', I won! My pony is called Roger, and we collected our prize of a big box of sweets together. I am not very athletic, so I’d never win any sports prize for actually running, but I was so delighted to win a prize within the parkrun community I thought I’d burst! After the prizes had been given out, we all stayed in the café, chatting, admiring each other’s costumes and most importantly of all drinking tea and eating cake. Someone had even made a special parkrun cake with the parkrun logo on it. It was a great party indeed!
Why did I particularly enjoy it? Well, I think it must be obvious surely. I got to spend my Saturday morning doing my favourite thing, which is taking part in parkrun, with a fantastic group of people, followed by tea and cake. What’s more, I got an excuse to wear a party dress, have a good old giggle with friends AND I won a prize. What’s not to like. Parkrun is great and parkrun event birthday parties? Well, they are better still!
[ Written by - Lucy Marris (2016): Careers Adviser (UK), TEFL teacher (Vietnam) ]
Sample Answer 2:
Luckily I was invited to a private DJ party last month arranged by one of my college friends. This was a different kind of experience for me. I will describe the event for this cue card topic as it was a great party.
The party was organised marking the birthday of Samantha, my bestie in college. We are at the undergraduate level at the American College of Greece. We both share everything between us which has created a strong bond between us, and accordingly, she invited me to this private party. I was amazed at the party arrangement. It began in the evening with light snacks and soft drinks, and then the show started. We took our supper during the DJ show and returned home safe and sound once the event ended. The show was extremely exciting and the invited guests were enjoying the music. I also danced on the rhythm and enjoyed the moments perfectly.
The party was held in the garden of Samantha’s house. In fact, she lives in a large villa with her family. Though it was difficult for her to arrange the show in the garden, she managed the permission from her dad after a lot of struggle. Some of her cousins helped to decorate the entire garden which finally looked like a football ground with a round boundary. So, it was really difficult for them to decorate the entire venue. The stage for the DJs was built with the help of outside professionals. The lighting system was unique. The food corner was set in a corner containing different delicious food items and beverages. I liked the arrangement most among the other features of the party because it was the first of its kind for me.
A limited number of guests were invited to the party. Before the DJ show begins, Samantha had cut the birthday cake. She stepped 18. The guests present there, including me, sang the traditional birthday song and wished for her very successful in the coming days. Then she distributed the pieces from her birthday cake. Really I have never had such a juicy and delicious birthday cake before. The DJs were not on time. So, the show was late. The people passed their time by gossiping with each other and taking photographs. I think the number of selfies was more than any other thing on that day. However, the DJ show began at around 7.00 pm. Then the people moved to take seats near the stage. But the majority of them stood before the platform to dance with the music. I went there as I could not manage a seat to sit.
I enjoyed everything at the party until the last moment. It was exciting for me. In fact, this was the first experience for me to participate in a DJ party and listen to live music. All of the people invited there were amazing and helped me to dance by showing some steps and moves. I loved the food and drinks. Some of the traditional foods of Greece were ordered (as her mother was unable to cook for this crowd) and we enjoyed them profoundly. The lighting of the venue was breathtaking. Some hidden lights were set that illuminated the entire ground from different parts. Overall, it was the very best experience of a party in my entire life.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a party that you enjoyed.
1. Usually, a birthday celebration is typically an event for cutting the birthday cake, singing the birthday song, giving presents and having a meal. But the birthday party of Maria was a bit exceptional when she turned 19 last month. So, she arranged for the party at her home, and it was a nice one I have ever joined. The invited guests arrived on time and they praised the elaborate preparation. I also enjoyed the party and it was the delicious foods that helped me to enjoy there. Interestingly, there was no birthday cake in the party. Besides, I also loved the company of other friends and this was a great one for me so far.
2. The sudden invitation at the tea party from my boss was unexpected. In fact, I did not have any idea why boss was inviting me to a private party at his home. Later, I came to know some surprising facts. People who went there started arriving in time and I met some of the influential people in the industry. I enjoyed the party as I had the chance to meet new people and knowing them. Actually, it was a pre-planned party to make me familiar with the industry bigshots. So, I enjoyed the party in all the terms.
3. Attending a Christmas party was interesting and I enjoyed it a lot. The party was held on the night of Christmas Day at the rooftop of Sam’s home. The invited guests enjoyed the party very much and spend their time mostly by gossiping and eating the barbeque items. I enjoyed the party because it was held in open air. It was snowing lightly and we all were enjoying the scenario. Besides, the company of such nice people gave me an immense pleasure. Based on everything, I enjoyed the party.
4. It was a weird idea to participate in a game night party. But I enjoyed it to the last minute as long as I was there. The indoor party was held at the garage of Andrew here in Virginia. The invited guests took part in different types of games. I enjoyed the party as I won the games I played. I played mostly chess and card. Luckily, I won both the games which never had before in my life. So, I enjoyed the party to the extreme extent.
5. Indeed, the pirate parties are the best in the world. And I was thrilled to take part in this party arranged by Samantha at the large garden before her house. She invited all the classmates but some of them missed the party. I enjoyed because finding out the treasures was exciting. Besides, I also played a certain role and it was interesting too. Finally, when all the treasures were revealed we all became excited and shared the treasures amongst us. So, I enjoyed the party very much.
Part 3 – Two-way discussion/ Detail discussion:
Q. What are the main reasons people organise family parties in your country?
Q. In some places people spend a lot of money on parties that celebrate special family events. Is this ever true in your country? Do you think this is a good trend or a bad trend?
Are there many differences between family parties and parties given by friends? Why do you think this is?
Q. What kinds of national celebrations do you have in your country?
Q. Who tends to enjoy national celebrations more: young people or old people? Why?
Q. Why do you think some people think that national celebrations are a waste of government money? Would you agree or disagree with this view? Why?