IELTS Cue Card Sample 501 - Describe an event when someone denied your request
- Last Updated: Thursday, 12 December 2019 12:14
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 9283
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an event when someone denied your request.
You should say:
- when it was
- what the request was about
- whom you requested
and explain how you felt about being denied.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
In many real-life situations, we have to depend on other people and request them to get things done, and that’s a fact. Similarly, it is also a fact of life that at times, our requests get denied, whether we consider the reasons behind rejection to be fair or not, just like my request to collect a certain “money award”, from a local city councillor, was denied about a few years ago.
A few years ago, our local government authority had announced a “fund award scheme” for the selected local residents in each and every community who could prove that they had managed to grow at least one tree either in their front yard or backyard in an effort to keep the city green. Once I came to learn about the scheme, I became a bit excited because I already had a couple of grown-up trees in our big backyard, and as such, I thought that I would naturally be allowed to collect the funds from our local government authority.
So, I rushed to our local councillor’s office and filled-in an application with all the necessary information in order for me to be considered eligible for the fund. After submitting, the councillor office informed me that they would let me know about their decision in a formal letter after a couple of weeks. So, at this point, all I could do was to sit tight and wait for that letter. The letter did eventually arrive, but it informed me that I wouldn’t be eligible to collect the fund because we bought the house at a time when the trees had already “grown” there without our efforts, and they were right.
Anyway, I certainly felt bad and disappointed after my request to collect the funds was denied. I also felt a bit mad at myself because I didn’t make enough efforts to learn about the eligibility criteria in more details and became “unnecessarily” optimistic. However, at the same time, I felt a bit energized and interested also in other “environment-friendly” programmes, offered by the city authority.
Sample Answer 2:
Last year I applied for a car loan but the manager of the bank denied my application. For this cue card topic, I would like to talk about this event when my loan request was rejected by the loan section and the manager of the City Bank. I personally met the manager to know why my application was refused, and he explained to me a few facts that demonstrated why he had not granted my loan application.
It was 2018, probably during early August, when I applied for a car loan to the City Bank. As I went through their loan requirements, I believed I was eligible for the loan. I talked to the loan officer of the bank, and he asked me to fill up the loan application and to bring some necessary papers. After I submitted the signed application along with required documents addressing the manager of the branch, I had to wait for two weeks.
However, it was quite a surprise to me that the loan department and the manager had withheld my loan application. This was a bit frustrating and unexpected to me! When I met the branch manager (his name was probably Franklin), he explained that I had to be in my current company for at least two years to be eligible for the loan. Hearing that I asked him 'why have not you mentioned that on your website and loan application form?'. I also informed that it would have saved the time and energy I have wasted for this loan application.
He was very professional and clever. He explained to me that he must maintain professional integrity and follow the bank rules in any situation. He also told me about some case scenarios where loans were not recovered since the previous branch manager did not follow the loan rules very rigidly. He also assured me that he would definitely consider my loan application if I work for more than two years with my current employer. It was, however, a denial and was a bit disappointing experience for me.
As I was denied from the bank to be granted for the loan, I used my savings and purchased a second-hand Toyota car. I have applied for two other bank loans a few years ago and none was refused. Nevertheless, I quite understand the reasons for which my loan application was not accepted and I am quite okay with that. The hard feelings that I had just after my application was refused are long gone.
Sample Answer 3:
Attending a music concert is really exciting and I personally enjoy it a lot. But I am often unable to attend a concert if it is held at night as my father does not allow me to stay out after the evening. Last November I had to miss such an event as my father did not grant my request to attend the concert. Now I will describe the entire event to you, and thank you for this nice cue card topic.
The concert I am talking about was held at the end of last November at our college compound and some local bands were set to perform in it. It was held marking the 25th anniversary of our college. In fact, the programme was an elaborate one and started in the morning.
I took part in almost all the events except for the concert. My dad is a bit conservative and does not allow me to stay out of home after the nightfall. Hence, I was unable to be there in the evening while the concert was held at night.
On that day, I asked for his permission. Usually, my parents allow me to participate in all the college functions. But when the events or programmes are at night time, they deny my requests. Accordingly, I was a bit confused about whether I would get permission or not. But with the inspiration of my group, I sought it and finally, I was denied. I made a phone call and asked for permission from my dad to stay at the college until the programme ends. But my father instructed to return home before 6.00 pm. Unfortunately, the concert was supposed to start at 7.00 pm. Moreover, the college was far away from my residence. Therefore, I was told to start for home immediately.
I was really sad about the event. Actually, parents are sometimes unaware of the feelings of their children. I tried to make my dad realise that this event has been organised marking an anniversary of the college and I should be there as I am also a part of the college. But he discarded my urge on the grounds of security. He told that I would be unable to return home alone and there might be some unwanted events in concerts. In fact, he prioritised my security issue as I am his only daughter. Considering the issue, I obeyed his order. But I really missed the concert. Some of the emerging music bands were hired to perform at the programme. However, my dad surprised me with a present as I obeyed him. So, I forgot about the sadness and finally was happy with the gift. This is his way of saying sorry or thank you, I guess.
Topic: Describe an event when someone denied your request.
1. I went to enjoy the annual sports event last year that was held at my college in Barcelona. I requested a fellow student to book a seat for me as it was rush inside the auditorium. But it was a mistake and I forgot that Nicholas was a stubborn boy. Actually, he opposed me always in the class. So, when he denied my request, I felt irritated and blamed myself for requesting him to book a seat for me.
2. My last visit to (...say the name of a place...) was not satisfactory for many reasons and I particularly noticed some events. I asked for a change to a shop owner after purchasing some stuff from his shop. The middle-aged shop owner turned down my request. He simply refused to change a note. It was a sad event for me. And in fact, I am not habituated with such refusals. Changing a note is not a big deal and people get the change placidly. But alas! I was refused.
3. Usually, cricket match ticket sellers do not deny to sell tickets. But when I asked a salesman a few months ago to sell two tickets, he surprisingly denied it! I requested him to sell two tickets to me, but he did not pay heed. The young seller in his blue eyes looked nice. But he did not pay attention to my request for selling an extra ticket. I was even ready to pay a higher price than usual. Initially, I did not know why he did this and later came to know that selling two tickets together was disallowed on that match day.
4. I was flying to Indonesia from Thailand last month on a flight and during the travel, I wanted an extra glass of juice but I was denied! The beautiful looking air hostess politely denied my appeal. And I felt a bit insulted. The airliner was charging more than usual but they do not have an extra glass of juice! So, I pledged that I will never fly with this airline. When I informed it to the cockpit, they apologized.
5. Travelling is my hobby and I prefer bus journey. Last month, I went to Singapore on a bus. I asked the man beside me to leave me the window seat as I needed some fresh air. The man denied my request. It was a troublesome situation for me. I was feeling uncomfortable and wanted to sit beside the window. But the man did not allow me. And I also could not manage another window seat. It was an uncomfortable journey indeed.
If you can talk about this topic, you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Describe a time when you could not get what you wanted.
2. Describe a 'sad experience' you have had.
3. Describe something you were irritated about.