IELTS Cue Card Sample 503 - Describe a time when you missed a bus/ train/ aeroplane.
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 06 December 2017 15:38
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 2721
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a time when you missed a bus/ train/ aeroplane.
You should say:
- when it happened
- where you were supposed to go
- how you missed it
and explain what you did after you missed it.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
Well, it is an interesting topic and I would love to talk about my experience when I missed my train once. I have missed my bus several times and train only once. However, despite my travel on an aeroplane a few times, I have never missed my flight. For this cue card topic, I would like to talk about my experience when I missed my train from (...tell a train station name...) to (...another train station name...).
It was 2010 and I was around 21 years old at that time. We were invited to one of my cousins' wedding ceremony and my father asked me to attend that wedding party. My parents could not arrange their leaves from their offices and I did not have my class at that time. The wedding ceremony was arranged at my uncle's house in (...a city name...) which was almost 600 kilometres away from our living place.
I booked my train ticket online and paid it through my online bank account. My train was supposed to leave at 9.00 am. and I reached the train station at around 8.30 am. My father dropped me off and I had a luggage and a small bag with me. To my dismay, the train did not arrive on time and my father had to leave me due to his office. I got frustrated at 11.30 am. as the train was yet to come! I contacted the train master several times and he could not give any definitive answer. Whenever I saw a train at the station, I ran into it only to find that it was not my train. This was probably the most disappointing experience till then. Several other passengers were stuck at the station like I was and some of them were very angry at the delay of the train.
I called my mother at around 1.00 pm and she was very anxious about me. I heard from an officer of the train station that there was a minor accident and that is the reason our train was delayed. I was hungry already and took my baggage with me and went to a nearby restaurant to have my lunch. After that, I went to a shopping mall to purchase some items I needed and to kill some time. The fate must have been against me! When I returned to the train station, I heard that my train arrived 20 minutes ago and had already left! I felt like I was hit by a thunderbolt. I hardly spent 40 minutes to finish my lunch and shopping and during this time, I missed my train!
I immediately contacted the train master and he advised me to take another train that will leave at 3.00 pm. As I heard that it would not directly go to the (...destination train station's name...), I discarded this advice. I went home and took a bus next day. There was no hiccup on my bus journey but the previous day's event, when I missed my train, became a memorable event as this was the first time I missed my train. From that event, I have never left the bus or train station whenever I had to wait at the station and always.
Sample Answer 2:
I love travelling much and in fact, this is the only hobby I have. But often I have experienced some trouble with this hobby and now I am going to describe one of such events that occurred in last summer.
I am an IT professional and have to remain busy always. So, to remove boredom from life, I fly to different countries in my vacations. Accordingly, I planned a trip to France from the USA. Booking the ticket was the most tiresome issues. Almost all the airliners were pre-booked on the day of my journey. Finally, I managed to get an air ticket from an ordinary airliner. Unfortunately, I missed the aeroplane and it was entirely my fault. I did not check the time properly. It was set to fly at 7 a.m. while I went to the airport at 7 pm. With a gap of 12 hours, I missed the flight.
France is the land of culture. A wide variety of people come here to enjoy the cultural beauty. Further, I love the French foods. In 2008, I came here for a visit with my family and loved the country, especially Paris. So, I planned to come back again to pass some days. Amid the other European countries, France appears better to me for its special features. I also wanted to revisit the places that I visited around eight years ago. I also had some other plans like riding on Eiffel Tower and visiting The Louvre completely. In my last journey, it was not possible for a compact schedule to visit The Louvre museum perfectly. In fact, I also had some curiosity to visit the French Rivera, Sainte-Chapelle, Palace of Versailles, the Musée d'Orsay and other tourist spots. But I think the country was not my cup of coffee this time.
I missed the flight for a rush. To be frank, before leaving the USA, I had to deal with some patients and also I performed some emergency surgeries. So, I was unable to look at the flight schedule properly. I just looked at the ticket for once and did not pay any further attention. I noticed the date and time and prepared accordingly for the trip. Since I am single, I did not have hassles arranging a large luggage or others. I took some necessary clothing and other important documents like the traveller's cheque, my credit card and others. With all the belongings, I started for the airport. But when I heard that the filing was in the morning, I felt sad for my negligence. The aeroplane left in the morning and I came in the evening to get on board. What an irony! If I had seen the flight schedule for twice or paid enough attention, I might have been on board at the aeroplane.
Really it was my misfortune that did not allow me to travel in France, one of the best countries in the world. The airliner authority had nothing to do with my mistake. So, I admitted my fault and left the airport for home. I had a long month before me to spend with nothing to do. Thereby, I made another plan to pass the vacation. I bought some books that I wanted to read but could not manage time before. Besides, I also bought some video game CDs and installed them on my personal computer and played around the week. Watching movies was the other recreational activity for me during this vacation. In fact, I did not get out of home for over 25 days, switched off my cell phone, disconnected the landline and enjoyed the disorganised lifestyle for the rest of the month. It was a completely unusual experience indeed.
Topic: Describe a time when you missed a bus/ train/ aeroplane.
1. Missing a bus is not an unusual event for me. In fact, I am habituated with the fact. But the consequences were horrible in last week when I missed the bus to reach my office. I was set to go to my office located in the downtown of Hanoi in Vietnam. I was in rush and reached the bus stop late for several reasons that day. So, I missed the bus and planned for an alternative transportation. However, I reached office late on that day and could not attend the board meeting to set the strategic planning. My boss warned me for the last time.
2. While my stay in Germany during last year, I missed a bus. I was set to go Munich to meet a friend there. But I missed the bus as I reached late to the bus stop. In fact, the bus I was supposed to ride on appeared early and I did not have an idea that it would not wait for passengers for a long time. After missing the bus, I had to wait for the next bus. But the next bus was set to arrive after around 40 minutes. I waited until the bus arrived. And it was a lesson for me.
3. I have not heard of missing an aeroplane schedule but it happened with me last month. I was set to move Italy from France by a local flight. But unluckily I missed that. Actually, I forgot about the flight schedule. The aeroplane flew in the morning for Italy and I reached the airport in the evening. It was the mistake of checking the time. I did not notice the time correctly. Later, I had to take another flight in the early morning of the next day.
4. During the last summer in Atlanta, Georgia, I missed my bus to way back home. The bus was set to return to my own city and unfortunately, I missed that. It was entirely my fault to miss the bus. I actually did not have an idea that the bus stop was far away and I started walking to the bus stop instead of taking a ride. So, the bus was missed and I had to wait for about six hours for the other bus. Actually, there were two buses available in a day to take passengers in my city and I missed the first one.
5. I went to Nepal last year for a pleasure trip and had the experience of missing a train. I was supposed to visit in a corner of the country which was accessible by train alone. As I could not understand the train schedule due to the language barrier. So, I missed the train and went to the station after around one and half hours later the train left the station for the destination. I had nothing else other than waiting. The moments were wasted.