IELTS Cue Card Sample 520 - Describe your favourite park in your city
- Last Updated: Monday, 16 September 2019 14:26
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 66836
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe your favourite park in your city.
You should say:
- where it is
- how can you go there
- how frequently you go there
and explain why this is your favourite park.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I love living in Melbourne for some obvious reasons. In fact, Melbourne has been voted as the most livable city in the world a number of times. There are just so many things to do and so many places to visit in Melbourne that it would take someone at least a month to talk about them. But, today I would just like to talk about one of my favourite parks.
The name of the park is Alexandra Gardens, and it is conveniently located on the south bank of the Yarra River, and on the opposite side of Federation Square and the Melbourne Central Business District in Victoria. One of the most distinctive features of this park is that it connects two other beautiful parks named the Domain parklands and the beautifully-landscaped Royal Botanic Gardens. This garden park also has many palm trees, beautiful ornamental shrubs (spreading fragrance and clean air to its visitors) and star-shaped garden which is designed to represent the great federation of Australia. First laid out in 1904, the park also has some popular river-front barbecue spots and other venues to facilitate different kinds of parties and celebration. I visit this beautiful park at least once in a week if not more frequently. By the way, people can visit this place either in private cars or by using public transportation through the tram routes of 16, 1, 64, 5, 6, 67, and 72.
It is my favourite park mainly because this is rather close to the area in which I live. In fact, it takes only about 15 minutes to walk to the park. And, that 15 minutes walk feels really good for my health. I like this park also because it is situated by a river, unlike many other parks, and it allows me to enjoy the nature in its “entirety” away from the “hustling-bustling” of the city life. Finally, this is my favourite park also because visiting there allows me to meet and interact with many interesting people from all walks of life without going to some clubs or parties.
Sample Answer 2:
Cuyahoga Valley National Park is located near my house and this is my favourite park in the city. I live in the Ohio state in the USA and this is the National Park we boast about.
Cuyahoga Valley National Park is located in Summit County and Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA and it has remarkable natural beauty, unusual ecosystem, unique geographic features and natural appeal. This park is approximately 28 kilometres away from my living place. Most of the time, I went there in my private car but public transportation and tourist buses are also available to reach the location.
I have always lived in the Ohio state. I love to explore places that are new to me. Natural beauties attract me more than other charms. So far I have gone to the Cuyahoga National Park 7 to 8 times. I have also been to the American Samoa, Arches, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Everglades and Glacier Bay which are also famous National Parks in the USA. There is no certain frequency of my visit to this Cuyahoga park. In fact, this is not a kind of park that is located near the community where people often visit in the evening and morning. I need planning, free time and preparation tp visit and enjoy the Cuyahoga park.
In my opinion, Cuyahoga is great beauty and a must-visit place for whoever lives or come visit the Ohio state. It has around 32,950 acres area and it was established in October 2000. More than 2 million visitors enjoy this panoramic park each year and it is governed by the National Park Service, USA. A great variety of animals lives in this park, many visitors ride bicycles or do hiking there. I specifically remember my last visit there in 2014 when I did hiking in this park. The spectacular views of the rolling hills, winding rivers, waterfalls and caves are mind-blowing. I have always enjoyed being in this park and have a lot of sweet memories there. As a resident of the Ohio state, I am very proud of this park and the outstanding beauty and recreational activities of this park make it my favourite one.
Sample Answer 3:
Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and enriched with natural blessings. Several national parks are available in the country which have also played the role of beautification. I frequently visit the Georgian Bay Islands National Park and this is my favourite park.
The Georgian Bay Islands National Park is an archipelago and made of 63 islands. It is located in Ontario in the Georgian Bay. The entire area covers an area of over 13 square kilometres. Earlier it was attached to another island but now this is completely a different one. The natural views are charming and the visitors have numerous options to pass their leisure hours. This is mostly formed with lots of pines and rocks. Some of the hardwood forests are also available here. Despite the exceptional facilities, the visitors are to pre-book the venue if they want to pass time in this park.
The Georgian Bay Islands National Park is a two-hour journey from my city, Toronto. But the Georgian Bay Islands National Park is accessible by boat only. Since this is the combinations of a good number of islands, there are no other transportation mode except boat if you want to visit the park completely. So, it is a good place for people having their own boats. Besides, ordinary visitors can take a ride on the water taxi to reach the park and get engaged in the entertaining activities. The water taxi is available from the Honey Harbour road. Besides, the visitors with their own boats can also visit there and can dock their boats safe and sound in different locations.
It needs some preparations to visit the park. So, it is not possible for me to visit the park frequently. Generally, I visit it once or twice in a month and pass the entire day with thrilling activities. Moreover, the locality is inhospitable. So, I need to take some other precautionary measures before starting the journey like taking foods and water, necessary medicines, extra clothes etc. Visiting the park and observing nature is my hobby, but often I take part in some other activities as well. There are over 30 species of reptiles and amphibians are available. The islands are their nesting areas. But I keep a distance from those areas and keep myself busy with other adventurous activities.
The Georgian Bay Islands National Park is my favourite park for some special reasons. First of all, this is the largest freshwater archipelago in the world. Mother nature is preserved here with care. A large number of pines are available here while the granite shores, dense forests etc. are adorable. The park allows taking part in different adventurous activities like camping at night, camping in a group, cycling, riding on a canoe, fishing in the lakes, walking on the trails and hiking and more others. This is also a great location for the picnic while many of the professional photographers come here for their photography needs. Swimming in the lakes is one of my preferred tasks. Whenever I can manage the time I do not miss swimming in the freshwater lakes. Considering all the features, this is my favourite park in Canada.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe your favourite park in your city.
1. Hyde Park is located in West Central London. I can even walk there from my living place. In fact, the park is a few minutes’ walks from my residence. I go there almost every day for my morning walk. There are ample spaces inside the park for walking. This is my favourite park because it comes with some outstanding natural views. The spaces are larger than the other parks in the city of London. It also provides fresh air in the morning hours.
2. The Weston Bend State Park is located near Kansas City. I need to ride on my vehicle to reach the park. I visit the park at least once a week because this is a bit far away from my place. This is my favourite park because it comes with some special facilities like camping at night. Often I arrange for a camping night at the park with my friends or family members. We spend some quality times there. Sometimes, we arrange for a campfire and take our meals there too. So, for all the grounds, I prefer the park.
3. The Port Campbell National Park is located near the Victoria State’s Shipwreck Coast. I need to take a ride to visit the park. I visit the park once a month and spend the day there. This is my favourite park because of the nice views it offers. The walk route on the Great Ocean Road makes me feel thrilled. I love the orchids lying beside the streets and the wildlife is also adorable there. So, I love the park much.
4. In China, Lushan is a great place to hang around. This is located in a distant place and so I need to use my car to reach there. So, I cannot visit the park every day or in a week. Rather, I visit the place in a regular interval of around two months. The park is on my favourite list for its natural beauties. There are ample spaces filled with gardens, mountains, and lakes. Spending time by the side of the lakes and enjoying the silence is my best-preferred activity. So, I love the park.
5. Kerama Shotō National Park is located in Okinawa Prefecture in Japan. The park is far away from my residence and so I need to take several trips to reach there. I visit the park occasionally after every three or four months later. Despite being a park, it provides swimming facilities for visitors. Snorkelling is another entertaining activity there. Based on the grounds, this park is on my top favourite list.