IELTS Cue Card Sample 538 - Describe a person in the news you would like to meet
- Last Updated: Saturday, 03 October 2020 14:54
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 29082
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a person in the news whom you would like to meet.
You should say:
- who this person is
- why he/she is in the news
- why you would like to meet this person
and explain what you would say to this person.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I’m not exactly a big fan of anyone in the news at the moment, but I guess it would be interesting to meet Justin Trudeau, the sitting prime minister of Canada. He’s constantly in the news at the moment because of being the most popular foreign politician in the world.
Now, I don’t know that much about him, or even agree with some of the things that he says – but he certainly seems to be popular with a large section of the population, not only in Canada but also in rest of the world. But, based on whatever information I have gathered about him so far, it would be fair to assume that he genuinely wants to make our world a better and more peaceful place for living by reaching out to every leader on this planet in order to solve its pressing problems.
Of course, many might argue here that a lot of other world leaders are trying to do the same thing, and therefore, there probably isn’t anything much about him which makes him such a sought-after personality in the world news these days. Well, such argument could be true to some extent, but none of those other leaders has been a teacher, an actor, a nightclub bouncer, a snowboard, a white water rafting instructor, and even a boxer before becoming a prime minister or a president, have they? And precisely because of these reasons, which makes him such a prolific personality, that I want to meet him. But, I also want to meet him because he believes in true diversity and because he really wants to deal with the dangerous climate situation that the world is facing today.
Anyway, after meeting this great political personality, I would ask him just one question, and that is why on earth he wanted to take on such a difficult role and becoming a prime minister of a country while he had all the means and resources at his disposal to enjoy the rest of his life as an actor or teacher!
Sample Answer 2:
I would like to meet Mr Jonathan as he appears in the news for his bestseller. He is a writer and his recent book “The Amazing Riders” has become the bestseller. So, the local news agencies have made reports on him and his reputation is soaring up. Interestingly, Mr Jonathan lives in my locality but I was unaware of his intellectual skills. His bestselling book is the talk of the town and the news agencies, newspapers and magazines are after him to make stories about his book and contribution to the contemporary literature.
I would like to meet Mr Jonathan for some solid reasons. The topmost issue about meeting him is to know about his writing. He writes smoothly and when the readers read the stories, it appears that the events are before them. In fact, I, as a reader of his book, has become his great fan. His narrative style is also different than other writers. He uses a different tone to describe the events through his writings. Besides, his plots are also interesting and will make you amazed. Before publishing the book, he was not that much familiar in the locality and people knew him as a simple man. But now he has become a celebrity by dint of the news.
I have so many questions for him to ask. If I get the chance to meet him, I will ask him first about his story plots and outlines. Some of his plots are highly interesting and they attract the attention of the readers. Further, I will try to get information about his narrative style. I think he will also share with me how much time he spends to make a story and where he gets his inspiration to write. These are the initial queries from my side for him.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a person in the news you would like to meet.
1. Sarah is a popular person in the present-day context in Victoria, Australia. She has appeared on the news for her outstanding achievement about using solar power to run a motorbike. I would like to meet her for some reasons. I would like to meet her to know her personally. I also have something else to know like how she has developed the matter, which facts inspired her to deal with solar power and so on.
2. Wayne is a rising supermodel in Singapore and recently he has been covered by news and other media. He is on the news for his manly figure and attitude. He has also starred in a movie that will be released shortly. I would like to meet him for some particular reasons. I want to know about the way to keep good health. In fact, he was a gym instructor before his debut in media.
3. Farah Yasmin is a popular Egyptian writer. She is on the news at present for her outstanding contribution to Egyptian literature. So, I would like to meet her. I have some questions for her too. I would like to know about her writing skills and how she develops outstanding plots. She is also on the list of 10 influential writers in the city. This is another reason to come in touch with this great personality.
4. Zikri is a teenager of interest from the Malaysian media now. He has been covered in news for his special achievement in a completion held for teenage. Zikri took part in an international competition and achieved the first position in mixed martial art. So, I want to meet him and know about mixed martial art strategies. In fact, I also have other things to know from him. I would like to know about his inspiration, regular practice duration and more.
5. Sophia is a popular humanitarian activist. She is covered in the news in the USA recently for her achievement of a reputed prize for her contribution in establishing peace in different parts of the globe. I would like to meet her to know about some specific matters. I would ask her about the matters that are causing troubles worldwide. I also would like to know from her that how she did everything. Moreover, I want to get some pictures of this national icon.
6. Christiana is a middle-aged lady, and she is on the news for her extraordinary recipes. She runs a restaurant here in Greece and took part in a reality show. She prepared a delicious and traditional Greek recipe that won the first prize. So, I want to meet her in person. I have a few questions to ask her. I would like to know about some other recipes from her as well.