IELTS Cue Card Sample 542 - Describe a work of art that you really like
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 22 November 2017 16:41
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 11152
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a work of art that you really like.
You should say:
- how it looks
- where you first saw it
- why you like it
and explain how you felt when you first saw it.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Mona Lisa is a half-length portrait painting which is extremely famous in the whole world. It was created by Leonardo da Vinci. And in fact, this is the most known and most praised paintings in the world. A wide number of criticisms are found in this painting. I am really lucky to have this candidate task card and will explain this painting which is one of the finest artworks the world has ever produced.
I first saw the painting at a museum in Paris. I was a kid then. Later, I came to know about the vastness of this piece of art. Actually, my parents took me to Louvre Museum in Paris where I first met with this painting and the character. When I grew up, I paid some visits to the same museum only to see the painting. It is said that the painting is the portrait of a woman named Lisa who was the wife of a nobleman at that time.
I like the painting for a few specific reasons. The most important reason for liking the painting is the mysterious smile of the character portrayed in. The historical value of this painting also notable. Though no exact date of origin for this painting is found, it is assumed that it has been painted in 1506. The past history of this painting also attracts me. It was acquired by King Francis but later, the painting has become the property of the French government. Moreover, it has been exhibited since 1797 in the display of this museum for permanently.
Honestly, I did not have any special feeling when I first saw it. Actually, I was a small boy then. But gradually I came to know about the history of the painting and a special attraction grew in me. Now I am a diehard fan of this painting indeed.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a work of art that you really like.
1. The Self-Portrait with Two Circles is one of the most prominent artworks in the world. It was painted by Rembrandt and I first saw it in the Kenwood House in London. I liked the artwork for few reasons. Usually, people look at the paintings but there is a basic difference with this one. The subject of the painting is looking at the person who looks at the painting. I felt a bit nervous in the beginning because the sharp look of the painter appeared looking into my soul.
2. Recently I have seen a cave painting. It was about some horse-like animals and appeared wonderful to me. I saw it at the Chauvet in France. I was in love with the painting. In fact, I did not have any idea that a cave painting could be so nice. There were some lifelike animals in the painting. They were beautiful indeed. I was thrilled with the painting. Unluckily, there was no signature on the painting about the painter. In those days, the signature trend might not have been introduced.
3. The Las Meninas is a wonderful painting. I saw it in Madrid a few months ago. The painting has many layered matters. So, it particularly drew my attention. The painting exhibited different things together in a single place. A painter was making a portrait of the royal couple and there were some other people on the court. A messenger or someone else is also seen through the door. The painting is a great piece of strangeness. So, I loved it much.
4. Girl with a Pearl Earring is a notable artwork in the world history. It was painted by Johannes Vermeer. I saw it in Mauritshuis in Netherlands. The painting portrays a simple girl wearing a pearl earring. The identity of the girl is not revealed rather there are many speculations about it. I like the painting for some reasons. It looked wonderful. Her opened mouth indicates that she wanted to ask something. I fell in love with the painting after I was it.
5. The Nighthawks is an outstanding painting. Prominent painter Edward Hopper painted it and I saw it a museum in New York City. This was an adorable painting. The painting takes the audiences to a night scene. A bold narrative is hidden inside the painting and the audiences are often puzzled about it. When I saw it first, I also was baffled. In fact, I could not get the answer to some questions and finally felt the isolation.