IELTS Cue Card Sample 548 - Describe a good news that you have heard recently
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 05 May 2020 01:27
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 63135
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a good news that you have heard recently.
You should say:
- when you heard about it
- what it was about
- how you heard this good news
and explain how you felt after knowing it.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
These days, and in a world, full of many unfortunate and frustrating news, good news are really hard to come by. So, whenever there is any good news, I always try to cherish it. So, today, I would like to share one such good news, that I heard about a couple of months ago, in as details as possible.
Anyway, we all like to get the fruits of our works and efforts. But, here, in my discussion, the fruits, I am talking about, is not metaphorical, but rather the “real fruits”- the fruits of our mango garden. Actually, I and my family had some empty piece of land, and we all had decided that we would grow a mango garden on that unused land about 3 years ago. So, my father and I, together with some hired workers, we got into our business and finished planting about 100 trees.
It was a long and tiring work process, but finally, we were lucky to get it done within a month. After preparing our garden, all we could do was to wait for its trees to grow and eventually produce some fruits. Of course, we didn’t expect our mango trees to produce any fruits before 3 or 4 years, after planting them, but I guess that my family got lucky as mango started to show up in our garden in less than 3 years of time. By the way, when the mangoes actually started to show up on the trees of our garden, I was living in another city as I was working there. So, my father called me over my phone and gave me the good news.
Anyway, after learning the news from my father, I felt really happy and excited that the fruits (speaking literally here) of our hard works were finally showing up. In fact, I couldn’t wait to visit the garden as soon as I heard it, but I just couldn’t do that because of my job. So, I just thanked the Almighty lord and kept waiting until the fruits were fully grown up and ripe.
Sample Answer 2:
I heard the good news at my university while attending my classes as one of the University staff from the registrar office asked me to meet the registrar immediately. Accordingly, I rushed to the registrars’ office and came to know about the news. This is really a nice candidate task topic and I am glad to answer it. I will explain everything in brief now.
The news was about a scholarship in Germany. Actually, I applied for a full free scholarship for my MA degree in journalism and got it. It was a piece of good news for me as I had been waiting for the news for a long time. In fact, I gave up hope about the scholarship and the news arrived when I was least expecting it. So, it was great news for me and I was delighted hearing this. The university authority was glad too and the registrar assured me to provide the necessary assistance from the university so that I could complete the degree from that German University.
I was attending a lecture about public relation. I got admitted to this university as I did not get a response from the foreign universities. Moreover, I had completed my bachelor degree from this university. Being frustrated, I focused on the classes here and at this time it was really a piece of great news for me. The registrar invited me to his office to inform me about that the German university has issued a letter to him asking to provide details about me. The German university also assured that it had reserved a seat for me in the next semester.
I felt really glad after hearing the news. It was a success for me during this frustrating moment. And so I felt lucky after receiving the news. My parents were happy too.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a good news that you have heard recently.
1. I heard the good news from one of my relatives who works at a local university here in Russia. I got the chance for my PhD from the university I applied for. My uncle, a high official of the university, made a phone call to me. I was highly delighted to hear the news. In fact, I had been trying to pursue a doctoral degree but there had been some issues. Everything afterwards became easier for me.
2. After entering office last Monday, I came to know about a piece of splendid news. I got promoted to the upper rank of my team. It was great news for me. One of my colleagues appeared to me and informed it silently. I was expecting such a piece of news from the last few weeks because I had been working so hard. All my intentions were based on my work and literally I improved in the activities I am assigned with.
3. My dad made a Skype call to me last Thursday and informed that he will surprise me. Actually, he went to visit the USA and I asked him to bring an iPhone for me. During the conversation, he told that he has got an iPhone 7 for me. I was overwhelmed with joy. It was the best news I have ever heard in the last couple of months! I had long been waiting to get an iPhone but could not make sufficient savings. So, I asked it to my dad.
4. I did not have an idea that I would get such a piece of great news. By the end of August, I came to know about the matter. It was about getting married to my girlfriend. She informed me that we are getting married and everything was all set. Our families agreed on the matter. In fact, getting married by love affair is not preferred in Kuwait and it was really hard for us to fix everything. Finally, everyone agreed and we will get married shortly. It was great news for me.
5. In September last, I was informed about the matter. Watson, my college friend, informed me of the issues that I achieved the first position in the last semester's exam. Watson came to my home to inform me about it. I was suffering from fever and thus could not move for the University of Illinois. But hearing the good news, I was thrilled. All my efforts brought me a deserving result.