Cue Card Sample
Describe a street that you enjoyed visiting - Cue Card # 595
- Last Updated: Monday, 26 July 2021 00:29
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 21150
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a street that you enjoyed visiting.
You should say:
- where it is
- how it looks like
- what you did there
and explain why you enjoyed visiting this street.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Well, when we visit a city or some popular destinations in the world as international travellers, we usually try to visit some of their famous and interesting landmarks, museums or some other sites of great natural beauty. However, I had no idea that visiting a street could also be just as interesting as visiting those tourist attractions on any day.
The street, I am talking about, is called “Oxford Street”, which is located right in the heart of the city of London. It runs all of the way from Tottenham Court Road to Marble Arch via Oxford Circus. People say that it is Europe's busiest shopping street, with around half a million daily visitors, which had approximately 300 shops, as of the year 2012. People head to this famous street because it allows them to do some affordable shopping in stores, like "H & M," "The Disney Store" and "Uniqlo". However, if you are looking for more up-market high-street stores, you will also have your options in luxury brands like All Saints, Massimo Dutti and Aldo store, among others.
Oxford Street also has a varied selection of shoe shops including Clarkes, Office and Nike town. Offering 1.5 miles of unrivalled shopping from fashion and beauty to tech and homeware, Oxford Street is not only the ultimate shopping paradise but also a paradise for food lovers. This is because they can eat at any of its 500 restaurants without actually walking for more than five minutes. Of course, I didn’t have the time to visit all of those restaurants and enjoy their food, but at least, I visited three of them.
Anyway, I enjoyed visiting this world-famous street, not only because it offered so many choices in shopping, but also because I could meet and see so many different kinds of people, with different cultures, languages, and backgrounds, from around the whole world. Finally, I enjoyed visiting this street also because I felt like the sun never set in this street as it was illuminated with all kinds of bright lights.
Sample Answer 2:
My recent business trip to California was a huge success, and I had some spare hours to kill in the city. So, I went to see some of the notable spots in the city and the 'Hollywood Boulevard' - a large street, was so exceptional. In fact, it was one of the most impressive streets I have ever been to.
The street has beautiful buildings on both sides. Gorgeously decorated stores which sell all sorts of products were another appeal of it. The livelihood of the street, and its beauty took my heart away. Being there was a fascinating experience for me. This is an outstanding boulevard in the city, and it runs through Hollywood. It connects more than seven other streets and is big enough to walk on foot to reach the end. The street is decorated with palm trees, and they look more bustling at night. I guess the colourful decoration has something to do with it.
I went there for the first time when I was nine or ten years old. One of my uncles used to live there, and I spent a few months in the area. This time I went to revisit the street as it was a part of some beautiful memories. My uncle no longer lives there, but still, I went there. I stood at a corner of the street and gazed at the structures standing on both sides of the street. Then I walked for a few minutes and did some window shopping. Finally, I took a cup of tea from a bistro and then spent some idle time at a cafe.
I went to visit this street as it was once a known place to me and I miss those days. Being there was nostalgic, but I felt really good. The street is a major tourist attraction, and people from all around the world come here. Besides, the street view is excellent - to say the least. I took some photos of the street and thought to return there again someday.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a street that you enjoyed visiting.
1. Pennsylvania Avenue is located in Washington D.C. and is considered one of the Main Streets of America. The street connects the capitol building with the White House. A section of the street is mostly used for celebrating important events. I enjoyed it a lot when I was there as it gave me a unique experience.
2. I went to the Sitabuldi Main Road in Nagpur, Maharashtra for some shopping, almost a year ago. Actually, the street is famous for various shops and it is a great destination for tourists. The stores sell different types of clothes, shoes, and many other accessories. I loved the malls and my experience of being there was excellent.
3. George Street is one of the most attractive streets in Sydney. The Street is also the busiest one and it is a linkage among many other city streets. The street occupies a good number of renowned buildings and leads to different destinations.
4. England is a historical country and many of the streets are connected with its history too. 'Shambles' is one of them and the Street is located in York. This is a magnificent medieval street in England and has been mentioned in many literary works. I had been fortunate enough to spend a few hours there and I will always cherish my memory of being on this beautiful street.
5. Shopping at Tahlia Street was a wonderful experience for me. This is mostly a shopping street in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. The street is occupied by departmental stores and brand shops. In fact, this is the heart of Jeddah and people love to go there. My experience of being there was apocryphal.
6. Bugis Street in Singapore is a wonderful place to visit. It is a historical street and had been named after the first settlers in this locality. Buginese traders from Indonesia first settled here and now it has become a place worth visiting.
7. I loved the Hollywood Road in Hong Kong. This is a wide street and runs towards different other locations. This is the second road on the island and now has become an important one for its excessive use.
8. Takeshita Street is a wonder in Japan. The street is filled with dozens of shops and cafes where the visitors can have their own delicacies and various types of clothing. The street is mostly visited by young people.
9. Thailand is a popular tourist destination, and Khao San Road is a nice place to be. This is, in fact, a famous street in Southeast Asia for its street food and unique culture. The street is lively both during days and nights.
Similar other cue card topics that you should be able to answer with your preparation for this cue card topic:
1. Describe a place you have recently been to.
2. Describe a place you want to visit again.
3. Describe a place where you frequently go with your friends.
4. Describe one of your favourite places to hang out with friends.
5. Describe a place where a lot of people gather.
6. Describe a beautiful street in your hometown.
7. Describe a place where you used to spend time with friends but you no longer go to.
8. Describe an unusual place you have recently been to.