How you spend time with your friends - Cue Card # 605
- Last Updated: Sunday, 21 February 2021 19:37
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 43172
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe how you usually spend time with your friends.
You should say:
- how often you meet them
- what you do together
- where you go together
and say how much you enjoy spending time with your friends.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
After graduating from university and entering into a career, I don’t really get much time to spend with my friends. Besides, as people get older, their priorities in life change. Therefore, it is not always possible to meet our friends and spend time with them despite our best intention. However, I will still try my best to give an account of how I usually spend my time with my friends.
As I have already mentioned that I don’t really get much time to spend with my friends except probably a couple of times a month mostly during the weekend, the good thing is whenever we meet, we try to make the best use of our time.
One of the things, which we really enjoy doing together, is that sometimes we take a long drive to a big lake outside of my home town in order to do fishing. Of course, most of my friends don’t exactly like to eat fish, but I do. So, while my friends are busy releasing the fishes back into the water after catching them, I keep myself busy in putting them in back except, of course, the problem is I don’t get to catch as many fishes as my friends. Another thing, which I really like to do, is to visit a local movie theatre and watch a great movie together with my friends. Then, after finishing watching the movie, we also hit one of our favourite restaurants and enjoy some great foods while poking jokes at each other and having fun.
Well, I enjoy spending time with my friends a lot as it helps me get refreshed and rejuvenated after a long and busy week. Besides, meeting with my friends allows me an opportunity to talk about an array of issues so that we can remain informed and smart. Finally, spending time with friends sometimes allows us to do some social works/charity works. All these activities help us enjoy a certain sense of peace in our minds which wouldn’t be possible otherwise.
Sample Answer 2:
Thanks a lot for this cue card topic. I will tell you how I usually spend time with my close buddies, what I do with them, where we go and how often I meet them.
Well, to begin with, I have more than ten friends and three of them are very intimate friends of mine. I meet those close friends two to three times a week on average, and sometimes more than that.
Whenever I am with those friends, we have endless topics to talk about and our conversations continue for hours. We often talk about ourselves, our family, sports we like, celebrities we admire, people we hate, things we should be doing, politics, movies, music, literature, books, science, recent events, history and so on. Topics we discuss or dispute often change, and our conversation shifts its direction from time to time. When we do not talk or gossip, we play computer games or do cycling together. We often visit different places together and love to explore different places. Recently, we went to an art museum and enjoyed our time in a new town, far away from our locality. That would be around a month ago and it was a memorable event for all of us.
To answer the last question, who does not enjoy spending time with friends? In fact, some people become our dear friends because we like to spend time with them. Good friends remain close to our heart and they have a special place in our life. My friends are very important to me and I feel completely free around them. With them, I do not need to pretend and I can be completely myself. This is probably true for everyone who has good friends.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe how you usually spend time with your friends.
1. Well, this is a great topic to discuss. I have four intimate buddies and we spend most of our time together whenever we are in our college. Sometimes we watch movies and this is extremely amusing to enjoy movies with them. Besides, we travel and explore new places.
2. I have a circle of three close friends and we all love to read books. We often meet with the intention to buy new books and explore new libraries. Sometimes, we lend books to each other as well. I think reading is an excellent habit and we are lucky to have developed our liking for books. A library is our favourite place and we often meet there.
3. Enjoying a live cricket match is fun and if it is with friends, the fun doubles. When I meet my friends, we all try to watch cricket matches in a local stadium. If there is no live match, we watch a cricket competition on television. Sometimes we play cricket together at our school ground.
4. Travelling is a hobby for all of my friends. So, whenever we meet together, we try to make short trips. Every one of us owns a bicycle and we use it to explore different parts of Tokyo. During the weekends, we try to make a day-long trip outside the city.
5. I love shopping and other close friends of mine also do so! We usually meet at our home and go shopping in the streets of Thailand. In fact, many of the Thai street markets are filled with nice dresses, gadgets and other fashion items, and we love to follow trendy fashions.
6. I play indoor games when I meet my friends at my residence in London. Actually, I have a couple of very close friends and we have been maintaining our friendship since our childhood. So, when we meet, we play different types of indoor games like chess, card etc. Watching television programmes and debating about numerous topics are perhaps two other common activities for us.
7. Eating street food is a pleasant activity for us. So, we often set dates to have street foods in the street of Vietnam. The food is yummy and the price is reasonable. Moreover, street foods have varied tastes and appeals to me and my friends.
8. Playing video games is a passion for me and some of my friends. So, when they visit me or I go to visit them, we all take part in a video game tournament. This is fun indeed. We mostly play action, adventure and racing games.
Your preparation for this cue card topic will also enable you to talk about the following topics:
1. Describe a typical day in your high school days.
2. Describe what you would do with friends if you could get back to your school days.
3. Describe a memorable period or stage in your life.
4. Describe a day you really enjoyed with your friends.