IELTS Cue Card Sample 31 - Describe a happy event of your life
- Last Updated: Thursday, 20 February 2020 13:27
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 97036
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a happy event of your life.
You should talk about:
- what the event was
- when it was
- why it was a memorable and happy event for you
and give some details of the event.
- What makes people happy?
- Do you believe money can bring happiness in life?
- Why childhood is the best time for so many people?
Model Answer 1:
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to talk about such an interesting topic. In fact, I have had several happy events in my life which I remember today. But, I would like to talk about just one of those happy events which I consider to be very special also.
It happened about 8/9 years ago or so, when I just had graduated from my university, and I was very much eager to get a full-time job or some kind of internship. But, the problem was, it was not easy for me to get any job or internship because I didn’t have any kind of formal experience. On top of that, I also didn’t have any access to a computer or the internet at my residence. In other words, applying to jobs wasn’t exactly as easy in those days as it is today.
So, I was basically relying on checking for job postings on different local and national daily newspapers and then applying for them by using either postal mail or fax. Needless to say, applying to jobs, one after another, in such old and traditional methods required a substantial amount of money which was not exactly easy for a student like me with no particular source of income. So, at one point, I even decided to do some private tutoring in order to pay for the cost of my job application. In this way, my job applying mission had continued for about 5/6 months before I started to get an invitation for job interviews. I even needed to travel a few cities outside of my hometown to attend the interviews.
But, I was getting a bit frustrated as I was not receiving any positive news from any end, even after trying for long 6/7 months. But, finally, on a fine Thursday morning, I received the good news in an official letter. In fact, I would consider that day to be one of the most memorable and happy days of my life as that’s the day when I received the news of my first job offer.
Sample Answer 2:
There are numerous happy events in my life that I can recall and among those, I would like to talk about the day that I was blessed with a little sister.
This was an event that I still recall vividly. I was then only 7-8 years old and when I saw a little angel was crying on my mother's lap, I became the happiest man in the world. I was the only son of my parents and when I heard that I will have another sibling, I got very excited and I was counting days when this brother/ sister of mine will come. I speculated and imagined lots of things I would do with my sibling. The day that my sister came into the world was one of the happiest days of my life.
For the first time, I felt a strong urge to kiss this little fairy child. She was so beautiful and adorable that I thanked God for the gift. My mother asked me to hold her and kiss her but I was afraid to touch her as I thought that might hurt her. I felt like I was flying on that day. My mother gave birth to the baby in a hospital and I was so happy and attached to the event that I denied returning home at night. I stayed in the hospital cabin for about 4-5 days until my mother and sister came home. I came back home with the most precious gift in the world.
Tips for answering this Cue card topic:
- Someone gave you a gift.
- One of your birthday celebrations.
- You did a mentionable thing which was appreciated by others.
- Your academic achievement like getting a scholarship or doing remarkably well in academic exams/ public exams.
- You got the news to get admitted to an educational institute where you dreamed of studying.
- You did something for the first time in like swimming, cycling, driving etc.
- One of your relatives got healed from a disease.
- You got a job.
- Your father/mother gave you a gift.
- A newborn was born in your family.
- You overcome an obstacle or bad habit you had.
- You went to visit a new country/ city/ recreational place/ historic place.
- You helped someone and s/he was very grateful for you.
- News related to you was published in a newspaper or was broadcasted on the TV.
- You were granted a scholarship/ admission in a college/ university.