IELTS Writing Task 2 Sample 502 - It is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools
- Last Updated: Monday, 29 May 2017 18:22
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 168431
IELTS Writing Task 2/ IELTS Essay:
Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
You should write at least 250 words.
Sample Answer 1:
The topic of whether boys and girls should be taught in mixed schools has been a contentious issue ever since the initiation of women’s rights movements. Some argue that the practice of teaching boys and girls in the same school should be upheld, while others refute this. Both sides of this debate will be analysed in this essay before a reasoned conclusion is drawn.
In one camp, it is believed that educating boys and girls in a co-education system reaps numerous bounties. For example, most women rights activists contend that instructing males and females together enhances the understanding between the two genders. This equips members of both genders with the necessary skills which can later be transferred into their personal lives, and as result enjoy a higher degree of matrimonial bliss. Thus, it is clear why many people support the idea of co-education.
On the other hand, many consider the practice of educating girls and boys separately is best. For example, Saudi Arabia is often mocked for its conservative culture. Despite this, Saudi Arabia has one of the lowest rape and sexual assault rates in the world. One of the reasons cited for this is the segregation on the basis of gender in the educational institutes. When looking at this side of the debate, the benefits that are derived from separate schools for girls and boys can be seen.
Although both sides of this argument have indisputable virtues, it is felt that practice of educating male and female pupils in the same school is much more of a positive development than negative. Therefore, it is hoped that the trend of co-education schools will continue to be the norm the world over into the foreseeable future.
Idea Generation for this IELTS Essay:
Essay Type: Discuss both views + Opinion.
Main question of this IELTS Essay:
A. Discuss the first view: It is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools.
B. Discuss the second view: It is better to have coeducation schools.
C. Give your own opinion and say which one do you support and why?
First View: It is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools.
- Better concentration in the class and achieving higher grades because they spend less time on other activities.
- Reduction the rate of inappropriate sexual relationship.
- This does not contradict with some religious beliefs like Islamic belief.
- It is observed that when boys and girls are separated, it would make them more disciplined.
- Less report of sex discrimination (giving more opportunity to specific gender)
- In this system, students tend to be more focused on studies rather than being distracted to all fantasies of teenage.
- This system is better in terms of students’ engagement in extra-curricular activities like sports.
Second View: It is better to have coeducation schools.
- Better communication with opposite gender in real life (work, family, marriage).
- Participation in more team working.
- Being respectful to opposite gender.
- Both genders have different abilities to learn different study materials, so they can help the opposite sex to learn better.
- Co-education system enhances the understanding between the two genders.
- Maintaining co-education system would be less costly. Clearly, to divide girls and boys, governments have to spend more money on education.
- Each gender would be able to co-work as well as participate in competition with the other gender. Such friendly competition and co-working would enhance the overall performance of the students.
1. Both sides of the discussion have indisputable virtues and benefits. However, I agree that co-education system is far better than the unisexual schools.
2. I opine that separate schooling for boys and girls has far more benefits and that's why I support this system.
[These ideas should be helpful for you to generate your own ideas and writing an excellent essay on the given IELTS Essay topic should be easier for you. If you have new ideas that we might have missed, add them in the comment section and we will publish it.]
Sample Answer 2:
Nowadays, the co-educational system is considered as the best option in many countries. Some believe that it is better that young females and males study separately, while others mention that studying together can be more beneficial. I will discuss both sides and will give my opinion.
Sample Answer 3:
In this era of globalisation,” Education “, has become a part of every individual’s identity. But the bone of contention is whether to get educated in separate or co-education schools. This has been a debatable topic since the inception of the education system. The following essay will discuss the beneficial aspects of both schools and my opinion.
In regard to the citizens who believe that segregated schools are better places for their children, there are several positive impacts; firstly, it is believed that when boys and girls are separated, it would make them more disciplined. Secondly, they tend to be more focused on studies rather than being distracted to all fantasies of teenage. So this would likely bring out them with flying colours and prosper in life.
On the flip side, it is undeniable that co-education schools are also far more beneficial. This is because the interaction which occurs in this environment between boys and girls creates a healthy relationship, which naturally tends to make them more comfortable in later stages of life. This is not all; this education system makes her free from shyness and fear. For illustration, if a girl who is educated in co-education school joins a company for a job, she will feel free to communicate and socialise with others, since she would have shredded all her hesitations and nervousness in her school days. This would definitely lead her on the right path both in career and life.
In a nutshell, mixed education imparts more and more benefits on students and these would facilitate them to progress in life. In my perspective, when both genders are educated together, it would bring out the best citizens who could serve as a torch bearer for posterity by making them aware of their own limits and culture of the society.