IELTS Cue Card Sample 508 - Describe a time when someone got angry with you
- Last Updated: Monday, 04 December 2017 17:26
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 3836
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a time when someone got angry with you.
You should say:
- when it was
- who got angry with you
- what you did to make this person angry
and explain how you felt about it.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
No matter how hard we try, we cannot control our anger all the time. Sometimes we lose control and get quite angry with someone. This is a part of our human characteristics. When some people are short-tempered and get angry easily, many others are very placid and super cool. My father is one of the coolest and understanding persons I have ever known. This cue card topic reminds me the day when he became very angry with me. Thank you for this Cue Card topic and the chance to share this experience with you.
It would be either 2003 or 2004 and I was around 16 years old at that time. I played football every evening and was one of the team members in our high school football team. My parents were worried about my too much involvement in sports activities as they thought that it would degrade my academic performance. Their doubt became true and I performed very poorly in my year final exam.
After my father looked at my scorecard, he frowned at me and asked me the reason for this poor performance in the exam. I mumbled for a few seconds and could not give him any definitive and satisfactory answer. Next day he went to my school and found out that I escaped some of the classes only to practice football in the nearby football club. My teacher also complained that I was supposed to bring my parents to meet him for a discussion but they never went to my school to meet him. That possibly ignited the rage in my father as I actually never told him that one of my teachers wanted to meet him. After he returned home he got very angry. I do not blame him for the anger he showed. I would probably have reacted in the same way if I found that out about my own child.
I had never seen him become such angry until that very day. He was literally screaming and out of control. He was acting like a wounded wild animal who had been deceived and hurt. I thought it would be the best policy to remain silent and answer honestly everything he asks until he calms down. Though I felt very afraid, I knew my father. He is a great dad and his anger was reasonable. I knew that he was very decent and understanding and I should be honest with him to avoid any further damage. I also felt sad for me and for my parents and was promising to myself not to repeat that heinous act ever again. I was sorry for my imprudent and immature lifestyle. I also promised myself that I would never disappoint my parents and would never bring any disgrace to my family.
Given the time, my father got calm within 40 minutes or so. He remained silent for the whole day and the next day he had a frank discussion with me. I love my parents very much and my love and respect for them made me realise how important it was for me to study harder and become one of the top scorers in the class.
Sample Answer 2:
Thank you, madam, for this great cue card topic. Though I am a bit embarrassed to talk about an event when someone got quite angry with me, I would try to give as many details as possible to explain the whole situation. I think the situations are worst when a teacher gets angry at someone and I have such an experience which I am going to share with you.
I am an undergraduate student at École Normale Supérieure de Paris and been studying for last two years. On Monday of the last week, I was supposed to submit an assignment to my biology teacher. Unluckily, I forgot to bring that and it made the disaster. The class was set to hold in the very first hour. It was the assignment of drawing the parts of human body. The teacher instructed us all to make the parts clear and also instructed to use pencils only. Accordingly, we drew the parts with a pencil. But I think the application of colour on the sketches would have done better.
Mr Leo Falkner took the biology class. He was really a great teacher and sincere as well. Most of the students are afraid of him because he was a perfectionist. He never allowed mistakes with simple issues of his students. The giant-like man was the key to attraction in the class when he described the inner matters of biology. Besides, he was a man of letters and knew well how to teach his students. Regarding punishment, he was inflexible. I have not seen any teacher to punish students at this level but he was a different kind. My meeting with him was a kind of blessing for me and I believe from the learning that I had by committing the mistake about the assignment. Usually, Mr Falkner does not get angry with anyone but he turned so on me over the issue.
As I told earlier, he is a strict man and does not like any incompatibility regarding the matters of academic activities. But he is considerate enough for reasonable excuses. If someone can show any reasonable cause for their failure to complete any project or assignment, he allows them to complete it by next class. But in my case, the matter was a bit complex and different than usual. I lost my assignment from my dormitory. I completed the assignment last night but it was missing since the morning. I told the fact to Mr Falkner but he did not believe the issue. I tried to make it clear to him but he did not understand. He thought I was planning to escape the assignment. So, he turned angry. In fact, I have never seen him so angry before.
My feelings were disorganised. I was shocked and could not say anything about it. I understood that my teacher was completely mistaking me. Someway I lost the assignment but he thought that I did not complete the assignment and showing the excuse. Moreover, it was the last date for the assignment submission before the semester ends. Finally, I was able to make him understand that I did the assignment but someone in the dorm might have hidden it to have some fun. I sought for one more day to Mr. Falkner so that I could submit the assignment. Considering the ground, he allowed me the next day to submit the assignment. I was relieved. In fact, without the assignment submission, my grade could have fallen extremely. Besides, it was a great lesson for me as well.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a time when someone got angry with you.
1. I had no idea that the event will take place in the early morning. Dad got angry with me but I could not sort out the reason in the beginning. Actually, I deleted some files from his laptop and when he sat with the device, he found the files missing. He asked me to make a copy paste and I did the opposite. I was nervous with the behave of my dad. He later apologized for his rudeness and told me that I made a grave mistake. I expressed my regrets to dad.
2. It was on the evening of last Monday when Samantha and I started enjoying a movie at my home. Samantha got angry with me for many reasons. First of all, I love to enjoy a single scene a couple of times. So, I started repeating the scenes, especially the action sequences. It made her angry on me. She started shouting at me. I found that she was heavily angry with the matter. Later, I said that I will not repeat any scene again though I could not keep the promise.
3. I am unable to cook for the family but the attempt I took on last weekend was devastating. My mother got angry with me. In fact, I could not cook well and it was a complete wastage of food ingredients. Almost all the foods were overcooked. The tastes were weird and none could take the foods. So, my mother turned angry at me and ordered me never to move for the kitchen. So, I felt a bit disheartened with her statements.
4. Breaking down a precious and antique showpiece is really horrible and I did that on Saturday last. So, my mom got angry with me about the matter. Though I tried to make her realize that it was not intentional rather a pure accident, she did not pay heed to me. She was angry at her level best and kept shouting. Later, feeling sad and frustrated, I promised her that I would bring a showpiece for her which would be much better than the one I broke.
5. While travelling in Mumbai, I made a mistake and it was purely unintentional. But it made a pedestrian angry. I have a bad habit of spitting here and there. I spit on a stranger. In fact, it was an accident. I was on a rickshaw and spit from there that had fallen on the man. So, he was angry with the matter. I felt sorry for the event and it was unintentional indeed. I apologized the man for the event and said that I would never do it again.