IELTS Cue Card Sample 509 - Describe a famous book you would like to read
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 15 April 2020 21:46
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 31667
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a famous book you would like to read.
You should say:
- what book it is
- who is the author of this book
- how you know about this book
and explain why you want to read this book.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I have already read a number of books before, and needless to say, I have found most of them to be as eye-openers and stimulating. In fact, I wholeheartedly believe that there is no better friend of a man than books. So, I read them whenever I get a chance just like I am planning to read a book called “Nineteen Eighty-Four” in the next few months, hopefully.
This great dystopian fiction (some would also call it science fiction), often published as "1984", is written by famous English novelist, essayist, journalist and critic called George Orwell. Later on, of course, as I learned a great about the life of this prolific and philanthropist writer, it became abundantly clear to me that he was no ordinary writer.
If I haven’t heard it wrong, this book was published on 8 June of 1949 as Orwell’s final book in his lifetime. Anyway, I learned about this book from one of my university friends who was using some references from this great dystopia literature in order to prepare his thesis paper on the comparison of the British political system before the Second World War and after the Second World War. He also told me how fascinating he really found the book as he was trying to note down the references. So, since, I also take a great deal of interest in different political systems of the world and their impacts on the "international relationship" and "conflicts", I decided that I would certainly read this book in near future.
Anyway, I want to read this book, primarily because I really want to be able to understand how possibly a writer could envision the totalitarian political system of the future world in such an impeccable manner. Besides, I also want to be able to learn and understand if the writer found any clue back then about the future political system of the world from the architects of the First World War and the Second World War, as well as the Spanish Civil war in which he actively took part.
Model Answer 2:
Thank you a lot for this nice cue card topic. I have a list of books that I want to read and one of the famous books on this list is 'Moby Dick' or 'The Whale'. This novel was written by an American writer 'Herman Melville'. As far as I can recall, this book was first published in 1851 by 'Harper & Brothers' publication.
Without any doubt, 'Moby Dick' is one of the most acclaimed and popular novels of all time. This is basically an epic adventure fiction that has made its place in several lists of 'The best books ever'. Herman Melville, the writer, created a fine classic that will be read beyond centuries.
I have heard about this book from different sources. In my school, one of the teachers recommended this book and this is the first time I heard about the book 'Moby Dick'. During my college days, one of my friends, who was a bookworm, also narrated the story of this book and told me that I should read it. After I opened an account on 'Goodreads', which is a social networking website for the book lovers, I read different citations and reviews of this book. Another time a daily newspaper published a feature article on this book and I learned more details about this book.
I am very fond of reading and I love to read novels, fictions, classics, biographies and history-related books. I always wanted to read Moby Dick and hopefully, I will finish reading it soon. I have a digital copy of this book in my Kindle Voyage eBook reader, but I want to read the paperback version. This is probably the only reason I am yet to read the book.
As far as I know, this book was first published during the period of the American Renaissance and is considered as the finest American Literary work. The opening line 'Call me Ismael" is among the world literature's greatest opening line in a novel. A great British novelist and poet once claimed this book 'one of the strangest and most wonderful books in the world and the greatest book of the sea ever written".
This is a widely recommended book around the world and I would like to read it to be able to enjoy the finest piece of literary work and to complete one of my 'must-read' lists.
Sample Answer 3:
Reading is an excellent habit and I am proud to have it from my childhood. I have read a notable number of local and international novels but have not tasted the 'War and Peace' yet. So, I would like to read this great novel as soon as I can.
Russian author Leo Tolstoy is famous mostly for the novel 'War and Peace'. The novel is one of the best literary works in the history of world literature and a major work by Tolstoy. This is a novel that comes with the history of invasion - when France invaded Russia. At the same time, it focused on the elements of Tsarist society and how that was influenced by the Napoleonic era. The members of five Russian blue-blood families came to life in this book. It was first published in 1869.
Count Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy, better known as Leo Tolstoy to his readers and to the world was born in 1828. He was born in Russia while the family he born to was a noble family at that time. His literary life began in his early twenties and some of his creations are influenced by his real-life experiences. He has completed a wide number of short stories, fictions, plays, essays and novellas.
I am a book lover and seek books wherever I go. As part of my visit to my uncle, Vladimir Jacob, at his farmhouse in Kazan, I found the book. In fact, he is a widely-read man who collects books and has formed a huge library. The library contains more than 5000 books in different languages. While I was browsing for a book to pass my days there, I found 'War and Peace'. Earlier, I have heard about the book but never had the chance to read it. So, I decided to read this classic literary piece at that time. When I took the novel to my uncle, he offered me a short description of the book and told me about its author. He highly praised the novel and said that it was a journey to the history of Russia. Before writing it, Tolstoy did extensive research and accordingly, depicted the era that he had never seen while the work has become a masterpiece in the history of world literature. Subsequently, I decided that I would like to read the novel. Unfortunately, my visit was cut short and I had to return my hometown without reading the book. So, naturally, I would like to finish it soon.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a famous book you would like to read.
1. I have heard about the book ‘Man’s Searching for Meaning’ and it is a book recommended to me by a friend. The book is authored by Viktor E. Frankl, and I want to read the book because I want to know about the Holocaust, a tragic event in history. In fact, I'm curious about the Holocaust and want to know how the literature has treated it. The protagonist of the book spent a notable amount of time by suffering an extremely bitter experience of that time. So, I want to read the book.
2. 'War and Peace' is considered a masterpiece in the world literature. The book was authored by Leo Tolstoy – a prominent Russian novelist. I came to know about the book from a local bookstore. The bookseller highly praised the book and told that it was the finest work of the writer. The plot of the novel is based on the French invasion of Russia and its impacts on the social and political climate of the country. Stories of five Russian families have been portrayed here very lucidly. So, I want to read this book.
3. I have heard the name of Robinson Crusoe – an English novel that comes with special types of flavour for the readers. The book is written by Daniel Defoe. I came to know about the book from a friend of mine. He read that book and described the events that were narrated in the book. I want to read the book to know about the adventures of the central character Robinson Crusoe. The character underwent some thrilling adventures and the book challenges the reader's understanding of life and adventure. So I would like to read it as soon as I can.
4. I cannot imagine that a monster-like creature can be so popular in the history of world literature. But I might be able to imagine it if I complete the book named the Frankenstein. The book is authored by Mary Shelley, one of the most talented female writers of all time. I came to know about the book from a teacher at my college. He was describing his experiences of finishing the book and I was thrilled to learn about the writer and the plot. The story appeared interesting to me and I wondered how a man could create a monster like Frankenstein and how his feelings can touch the heart of millions.
5. The book ‘Never Let Me Go’ has attracted me deeply for some interesting and intriguing facts and I want to read it. The book is authored by the Nobel Prize-winning British writer Kazuo Ishiguro. I came to know about the book from a newspaper advertisement marking a book fair in my city, Spain. I want to read the book because it deals with the ultimate emotion of youth and the human race and their vulnerability.
If you can speak about the topic 'Describe a famous book you would like to read', you should also be able to talk about the following topics:
1. Describe your favourite book.
2. Describe a book you have recently read.
3. Describe a book you have at your home.
4. Describe a famous book you have read.
5. Describe a book you would recommend someone to read.
6. Describe worth enjoying a book you can think of.
7. Describe a book that has a positive influence on you.
8. Describe your favourite book from your childhood.
9. Describe a book that you enjoyed reading.
10. Describe a book that was recommended by one of your teachers.