IELTS Cue Card Sample 509 - Describe a famous book you would like to read
- Last Updated: Sunday, 03 December 2017 20:40
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 8242
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a famous book you would like to read.
You should say:
- what it is
- who is the author of this book
- how you know about this book
and explain why you want to read this book.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
Thank you a lot for this nice cue card topic. I have a list of books that I want to read and one of the famous books in this list is 'Moby Dick' or 'The Whale'. This novel was written by an American writer 'Herman Melville'. As far as I can recall this book was first published in 1851 by 'Harper & Brothers' publication.
Without any doubt, 'Moby Dick' is one of the most acclaimed and popular novels of all time. This is basically an epic adventure fiction that had made its place in several lists of 'The best books ever'. Herman Melville, the writer created a fine classic that will be read beyond centuries.
I have heard about this book from different sources. In my school days, one of the teachers recommended this book and this is the first time I heard about this book. During my college days, one of my friends, who was a bookworm, also told me the story of this book and told me that I should read it. After I opened an account on 'Goodreads', which is a kind of social networking websites for the book lovers, I read different citation and review of this book. Another time a daily newspaper published a feature article on this book and I learned more details about this book from this article.
I am very fond of reading and I love to read novels, fictions, classics, biographies and history. I always wanted to read Moby Dick and hopefully, I will finish reading it soon. I have a digital copy of this book in my Kindle Voyage eBook reader, but I wanted to read it the paperback version. This is probably the only reason I am yet to read this book.
As far as I know, this book was first published during the period of the American Renaissance and is considered as the finest American Literary work. The opening line 'Call me Ismael" is among the world literature's greatest opening line in a novel. A great British novelist and poet once claimed this book 'one of the strangest and most wonderful books in the world and the greatest book of the sea ever written".
This is a widely recommended book around the world and I would like to read it to be able to enjoy the finest piece of literary work and to complete my 'to-read' list.
Sample Answer 2:
Reading is a very good habit and I am proud to have that from my childhood. I have read a notable number of local and international novels but have not tasted the War and Peace yet. So, I would like to read this great novel as soon as I can.
Russian author Leo Tolstoy is famous mostly for this novel – War and Peace. The novel is one of the best literary works in the history of world literature and a major work for Tolstoy as well. This is a novel that comes with the history of invasion - when France invaded Russia. At the same time, it focused on the elements of Tsarist society and how that was influenced by the Napoleonic era. The members of five Russian blue-blooded families, we all come to know about all the issues. It was first published in 1869 and before the complete publication, it was published in portions.
Count Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy, better known as Leo Tolstoy to his readers and the world was born in 1828. He was born in Russia while the family he born was a noble on at that time. He is famous for the War and Peace novel which brought the reputation him as a realist fiction writer. He literary life began in his early twenties and some of his pieces are influenced by his real-life experiences. However, his autobiographical and other writings were not as much successful as the novel War and Peace was. He has completed a wide number of short stories, fictions, plays, essays and novellas. He developed an idea of nonviolent resistant. He also incorporated some other beliefs and ideas in his writings that have really made the writings enjoyable.
Usually, I am a bookworm and seek books wherever I go. As part of my visit to my uncle, Vladimir Jacob, at his farmhouse in Kazan, I found the book. In fact, he is a man who collects books and has formed a huge library. The library contains around 5000 books of different languages and they are of wide variety. He has arranged the books as part of their category. While I was seeking a perfect one for me to pass my days there, I found War and Peace. Earlier, I have heard about the book but never had the chance to read this one. So, I decided to read this best literary piece this time.
When I took the novel to uncle, he offered me a short description of the book and its author. He highly praised the novel and said that it was a journey to the history of Russia. The sections of the novel are large but the readers will not have any disgusting feeling at all to go through the chapters. Rather, they will deeply be absorbed in reading. The discussion on the novel is reasonable and narrative. So, the readers will have a different taste. Before writing the novel, Tolstoy had to perform a minor-scale research on the era he was writing about. In fact, Tolstoy had written the novel considering the background of 60-years ago of his birth. He read all the available documents of that time including journals, letters, biography and autobiographies etc. so that he could form a clear idea of age. Accordingly, he depicted the era that he has never seen while the work has become a masterpiece in the history of world literature. Subsequently, I would like to read the novel.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a famous book you would like to read.
1. I have heard about a book named ‘Man’s Searching for Meaning’. The book is authored by Viktor E. Frankl and some special experiences are described here. I came to know about the book from a friend of mine. I want to read the book because I want to know about Holocaust. In fact, I have less knowledge about the matter and want to know how the literature has treated it. The protagonist of the book spends a notable amount of time by suffering some bitter experiences of that time. So, I want to read the book.
2. War and Peace is considered as a great valuable resource of the world literature. The book authored by Leo Tolstoy – a prominent Russian novelist. I came to know about the book from a local bookstore here in Tamil Nadu. The bookseller praised the book highly and told that it was the finest work of the writer. The novel plot centres on the French invasion of Russia and the other impacts of the social and political climate of the country. Stories of five Russian families have been portrayed here. So, I want to read this book.
3. I have heard the name of Robinson Crusoe – an English novel that comes with special types of flavour for the readers. The book is written by Daniel Defoe. I came to know about the book from a friend of mine. He read that book and described the events that took place there. I want to read the book to know about the adventures of the central character Robinson Crusoe. The character underwent some thrilling adventures in his life and those are highly interesting to know about though this is completely a fiction.
4. I cannot imagine that a monster-like creature is standing before me. But I might be able to imagine the matter if I complete the book named the Frankenstein. The book is authored by Mary Shelley. I came to know about the book from a teacher in my college. He was describing his experiences. The story appeared interesting to me and I wondered how a man could create a monster like Frankenstein. Since the teacher did not complete the story, I need to finish it by myself. So, I want to read the book.
5. The book ‘Never Let Me Go’ has attracted me deeply for some reasons and I want to read it. The book is authored by Kazuo Ishiguro. I came to know about the book from a newspaper advertisement marking a book fair in my city, Spain. I want to read the book because it deals with the youth, transformation. There is love and disappointments as well that have made the book plot more interesting. In fact, the book has some honest way of expressing love and getting disappointed. So, I want to read it.