IELTS Cue Card Sample 512 - Describe an important historical event you know about
- Last Updated: Thursday, 16 April 2020 01:16
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 108895
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an important historical event you know about.
You should say:
- what event it is
- when it happened
- who or what was involved in it
and explain why you think it is an important historical event.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Our world has witnessed many historical events since our human story started. While some of these historical events are not that significant in the greater scheme of things, the others have been quite phenomenal and have changed the course of history to a great extent. Today, I would like to talk about one such historical even which pretty much changed the course of politics in the continent of North America.
The historical event, I am talking about, is the assassination of Abraham Lincoln which took place on 14th of April of 1865. It happened just when everybody thought that the civil war, which started, mainly because Abraham Lincoln abolished slavery, between the north and south, was over in the USA, and everybody thought that the 11 southern states would finally come back and join the then Union of USA.
But, the conservatives in the south part of the USA didn’t agree with that decision since the southern conservatives and white supremacists were never ready to give up their belief that slavery was part of the natural order of things. In fact, they believed that drastic action must be taken if slavery was to be preserved, and the only way it could be done was to kill Abraham Lincoln. So, they started their plots one after another to kill the union president until they eventually succeeded when Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by one Southerner called John Wilkes Booth.
Anyway, as sad and tragic of an event was the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, it was because of this sad and tragic even the politics of the USA had changed forever and for better, of course. In fact, the assassination actually united the whole people in the union, more thoroughly than ever, with a common sentiment of devotion to the country and of profound grief for the great calamity, that had fallen upon it. All party rancour was hushed. Political strife had ceased. All men of all parties, feeling a common interest and common grief, stood together in support of the nation, and of the man thus suddenly charged with the execution of the people's will.
Sample Answer 2:
I believe that history is much beyond the battles, conflicts, inventions and birth of great people who shape the world. History is the past events and time that shape the world and touch the lives of the humankind. The recent significant events like 9/11 – World Trade Center attack, the invention of the telephone, the birth of Muhammad or Jesus Christ, the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria are all significant historical events that have changed the world profoundly. For this cue card topic, I would like to talk about the ‘Invasion of Poland by Germany in 1939.’
This is a historic event that has changed the whole world drastically. If this did not occur, Hiroshima and Nagasaki would have been spared, World War II could have been avoided, several million people would not have to die, British would have ruled many parts of the world still today, the world superpower would have been different countries than those we see today, and we would have a different economic and political agenda these days. The cold war and Arms Race are thought to be triggered by this event and the world’s politics were changed and that would influence even the future world politics. All these major changes were the direct or indirect results of a single event – German’s decision to invade Poland.
This historic event is also known as the Poland Campaign. On September 01, 1939, German forces bombard Poland and Adolf Hitler of Germany was the mastermind for this invasion. As a result, World War II began.
World War II is one of the rare wars that has changed world history, power, politics and still influences the future politics. From this regards, the invasion of Poland in 1939 is a highly influential historical event.
Sample Answer 3:
The world has witnessed numerous events in every decade that sometimes shape the future course, but not all of them are historic. Amid millions of historical events, the birth of Muhammad is one of the most influential, I believe. I thank you for the opportunity to let me talk about this historical event with a paramount importance.
According to the religion of Islam, Muhammad is the last prophet and there would be no other prophets after him. He was sent by God to spread the words of God and to turn people civilised in that ancient era when chaos was the norm of the society amid the Arabs. Muhammad was born to a noble family in Arabia known as Quraish in 570 AD. He lost his parents in his early childhood and was brought up by his uncles. He is also known as the Holy Prophet of Islam and the central figure who worked relentlessly to spread Islam among people. His influence turned millions of people to convert to Islam and it is the second large religion in the world. Therefore, his birth is an important event in human history, I believe.
Muhammad's early life was filled with struggles. He initially was brought up by his grandfather and then by his uncle, Abu Talib. During his lifetime, the region of Arabia was filled with ignorance, the indiscriminating killing of baby girls was a very usual activity while people believed in several gods and worshipped idols. The people did not give up their ancestors’ faith and thus Muhammad was inflicted with a large number of both mental and physical torments. But he ensured the practice of Islamic belief till his last day on earth.
He did not receive any formal education but he was the most intelligent person of that time. He used to seclude himself in a cave, Hira, where he received revelation. He was around 40 when the revelation happened. Since then, he started preaching Islam as a religion secretly with the proclamation that God is only one and He is to be worshipped alone. He also preached that he was the prophet and messenger of God to preach Islam. Gradually he started getting followers but at the same time, the idolaters of Mecca started opposing Him.
The birth of Muhammad is an event of high historical importance. It has to be admitted that Muhammad is the most influential man ever. He was filled with superior humane qualities. He had to leave his motherland fearing attacks from the non-believers but when he won Mecca after battles, he forgave all those who wanted him to be killed. He is, in fact, an idol for every human being regardless of religion. Even many of the non-believers term him as the best human ever born in this world.
His birth defines the starting of the supreme religion - Islam. The historical events like World War I & II have a great effect on the human civilisation but not even close to the birth of this great man. The world has changed to a great extent by the influence of this man. No other human history would be that profound and intensifying as his birth is.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe an important historical event you know about.
1. The French Revolution is an important event in global history. It took place in 1789 and ended in 1799. The revolution also played an important role in the expansion of the French Empire. The revolution involved a wide number of people and is notable for overthrowing the monarchy and establishing a republic system in the country. This is an important historical event because it has changed the course of modern history, particularly in France.
2. The assassination of Abraham Lincoln is an important event in the history of the USA. On April 14 in 1865, the 16th President of the country was assassinated during attending a play at a theatre in Washington. A person named John Wilkes Booth was involved in this event and in fact, he was the assassin. The killing of the president changed the course of American history. The President was undertaking different approaches to develop the country and with his death, all the approaches halted.
3. The partition of India and Pakistan was an important event in the history of this region. The event took place in 1947. In fact, the year is also known as the ‘Partition Year’. Due to the separation, two different states were born, namely India and Pakistan. India is also known as the Hindustan because of the majority of the people believe in Hinduism. On the other hand, Pakistan was formed by the Muslim majority population who used to live in the 'greater India' at that time. The separation of East and West Pakistan in 1971 was also a result of this event.
4. The event of the gold rush was a historical event for my country, Australia. The event took place in 1851. Before the discovery of gold in Australia, there were some rumours around about gold. But not every one of those was true. The event had brought different changes in the lineup of the then colonial government in the areas. The economy of the country was destabilized too with the discovery of gold in the surrounding areas.
5. The end of the Second World War was an important event for Thailand. The War ended in November 1945. The global war came to an end after huge destruction and damages across the countries and many nations were involved in the war. It was an important historical event for Thailand because the country had to return the territories it obtained during the war. If the territories had been in its possession, the total areas of Thailand could have been far wider than it has now.
Important Historical Events:
A) The birth of Christianity.
B) The birth of Muhammad (570 AD).
C) The Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria (1914).
D) Invasion of Poland by Germany (1939).
E) 9/11 - World Trade Center Attack (2001).
F) The World War ||.
G) Cold War (1947 - 1991).
H) The French Revolution.
I) Cuban Missile Crisis.
In the USA:
A) Vietnam war.
B) The assassination of John F. Kenedy.
C) The Civil War.
D) 9/11, 2011.
E) The assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
A) Partition of India and Pakistan (1947).
B) Babri Masjid demolition (1991).
C) Birth of Gautam Buddha (563 BC).
D) Alexander's invasion of India (327 - 26 BC).
E) First Battle of Panipat (1526 AD).
A) 1787 First Fleet ( May 1, 1787).
B) Victoria became a Colony (1851).
C) Gold Rush Settlement.
D) Canberra was chosen to be the capital of Australia.
E) Queen's birthday (1788).
A) The collapse of the USSR (1911).
B) Victory in the World War ||.
A) The battle of Vimy Ridge (1917).
B) Royal Canadian Navy is established (1910).
C) Great Depression in Canada (1929).
D) Canada joins UN (1945).
A) British East India Company gains control (1768).
B) Anglo-Nepalese War (1814)
C) Nepal joins the UN (1855).
D) Nepal becomes a republic (2008).
If you can talk about this topic, you would be able to talk about the below-mentioned topics as well:
1. Describe an important event that shaped your country.
2. Describe a true event in your country.
3. Talk about a global event that you think has changed the world.