IELTS Cue Card Sample 513 - Describe a creative person whom you admire
- Last Updated: Thursday, 16 April 2020 01:25
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 47648
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a creative person whom you admire.
You should say:
- who this person is
- why you think he/she is creative
- how you know him/her
and explain why you admire this person so much.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I think that "creativity" is something which not everybody has or it is a quality that is not shared by everybody. So, it is quite possible that we don’t really meet this kind of creative people in our everyday life, unless we are lucky, just like I was lucky to meet somebody from my college.
However, that "somebody" was also a good friend of mine, and his name was 'Rabbi'. We attended the same college. Both of us were students of science, but he was way more brilliant student than me. And, his being a brilliant student was one of the main reasons that I used to make time to hang out with him, but that, of course, is a different story.
Anyway, among many things, that we did together, one thing which we really enjoyed doing was to listen to all kinds of music from different countries as well as watching movies. But, apart from watching movies and listening to music from different countries, he also had a hobby reading poetries from different writers. Yes, he just loved poems, and he didn’t only love reading them but also could write poems on his own. In fact, he had such a creative mind that sometimes, I would choose a random word for him, he could write a complete poem of four to eight lines within minutes at ease. And, by the way, the words which he used to create those poetries were no ordinary or meaningless words, but rather they were some very standard and meaningful words.
Anyway, I admire Rabbi, mainly because even though he was a brilliant science student, it just puzzled me how possibly he could also have such a creative mind for literature. Besides, I haven’t heard of many people who would divide their times equally for studying science and poetries at the same time. I admire him also because even though he had all the qualities to become a renowned poet, he didn’t really have any visible ambition in that department. In fact, he very seldom would have talked about his hidden creativity to others.
Sample Answer 2:
The American songwriter, artist, writer and singer, Bob Dylan, whose original name is Robert Allen Zimmerman is a very creative person I know about. I also admire his creative songwriting and noteworthy songs. He is, in fact, one of the most influential songwriters and singers of all time and I respect him greatly.
He was born in 1941 in the USA and due to his remarkable contributions to literature, he was awarded the Nobel Prize recently. The Nobel Prize for literature is awarded both for lasting literary merit and for evidence of consistent idealism to a great extent. Dylan's songs have such creativity, consistent idealism and universal appeal and without any doubt, he is a very talented and creative person.
He is such a powerful and influential singer that his song like 'The times they are a-changing' and 'Blowing in the wind' became anthems for the American civil rights and anti-war movements.
His creative and dazzling lyrics incorporate a vast range of social, political, psychological, philosophical, and literary influences. As a musician, he has sold more than 10 million records. Besides, he is also a talented painter.
I knew him first when I heard his song 'Slow Train' from his album 'Slow Train Coming' in my early college days. I have explored his music and heard most of the songs sung by him. I have also read several articles online about him and his works. I know him as a revered songwriter and he is one of my favourite singers of all time.
I admire him mostly because of his talent and outstanding contribution to the music, lyrics, and literary works through his songwriting. There were times when his music personally inspired me, motivated me and helped me forget my pain. I have never met him in person but he seems like someone I know for a long and very closely. I respect him as a great musician, admire him as a songwriter and consider him one of the greatest minds of the present era.
Sample Answer 3:
I like to watch movies of different genres and never miss any single chance to enjoy them wherever I am. Hence, the name- Steven Spielberg is very usual to me. He is one of the most successful Hollywood film directors and in my opinion one of the most talented and creative people alive. I would like to thank you for this opportunity to let me talk about a creative person.
Steven Allan Spielberg is commonly known as Steven Spielberg. He was born in 1946. He is not only a director of some awesome movies but is also highly reputed as a producer and his extraordinary skills as a scriptwriter. In fact, Hollywood has entered into a new era with direct support from Spielberg. He introduced some of the newest genres and made them popular with his charming direction. As a result, he took a permanent berth in the history of Hollywood. Besides, the list of achievements for his efforts is adorable as well. He won several prestigious awards for his outstanding activities, including the Academy Award, with plots, casts and their performance.
Steven Spielberg is not only creative; he is a genius. Most of his movies deal with some exceptional issues. Consequently, he won the hearts of the global population. He is on moviemaking career for over 40 years and has made a notable number of quality movies. The movies directed by Spielberg are quite different from contemporary ideas. He initiated the Science Fiction in Hollywood and after its success, he moved to make movies on humanitarian grounds. Some of his movies have created a sense of justification among his audiences. He mostly experimented with some specific genres and made the masterpieces with his magical ability. He knows how to select casts and crews and never cuts ties with the people he comes in touch. This is the key reason behind his popularity.
When I was a teenager, I used to watch movies for entertainment. In fact, I was not matured enough to understand the movie plots of performances from the casts. Hence, there was no specific selection. One day, I watched a movie named Jaws and it attracted me most. Then I started gathering information about the movie and finally came to know about the movie director – Steven Spielberg. Until then, I did not have any interest in the movie makers or their plots. I just watched the movies for my entertainment and loved the movies that come with actions. But gradually the sense of appreciation grew into me. Then I was charmed with this movie maker of Hollywood.
After starting his career in Hollywood, Spielberg experimented on some specific genres which were overlooked before. He revived them with his own efforts. He worked on many themes and genres of movie-making in ages and turned out to be a successful director. It was not merely his luck that dragged him towards success, rather it was his hard efforts and perseverance. Almost all of the movies he made were successful and brought him the reputation of a great director. I have enjoyed all of his movies made so far and realised the different tastes. Each of the movies is completely different in terms of plots, cast, locations, innovative ideas, application of technology and more other issues while some of the movies have broken the box office records. For all such reasons, I admire him most.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a creative person whom you admire.
1. Steven Paul Jobs (better known as Steve Jobs) was a very creative person. He was creative in the sense that he had started a new trend in the technological arena. He was an inventor and industrial designer. I came to know about him while using an iPhone. I did not have an idea that the smartphone is the brainchild of this person. He is admirable to me for his contribution to technology. He played an important role in the improvement of the microcomputer and mobile phones.
2. In the film industry of Bollywood, the name of Aamir Khan is on the list of most creative persons. He is a film actor, host, activist and producer. He knows how to win the heart of people with an emotional touch. He applies some unconventional methods to express his creativity and finally he wins everything he desired. I knew him from my childhood for his special performances in the movies and got amazed at his capacity to portray the characters. I admire Aamir Khan as he has established himself as one of the most popular figures of the country although his beginning was not that much prominent.
3. Leonardo da Vinci was a famous painter and mostly known for his portrait – Mona Lisa. He had a deep sense about everything and he used the sense in his paintings. Almost all the paintings from this great painter are thought-provoking. A man without creativity is unable to arouse the curiosity of the world. In fact, he is a subject to study for many. I first read the name in my history book and it described him as the greatest painters of all the time in the world. I admire him for his multifarious talents.
4. At present, life without a social platform like Facebook is unimaginable. And the man behind the platform is Mark Zuckerberg. He had a great vision even before anyone else thought it. His creative sense has made the social networking platform for everyone and this is for free. When I started using Facebook in 2006, I came to know about its founder and tried to get information about him. I admire this person for his hardworking nature. Within a short span of time, he has become a billionaire.
5. The telephone we are using today is the invention of a creative person – Alexander Graham Bell. He was the inventor of the practical telephone which was a dream in the past. After lots of research and analysis, he invented the telephone and it is his extreme level of creativity that made the dream come true. I admire him because he realized the needs of communication and took initiatives to invent the most necessary thing of the present day. He was also the founder of AT&T that people in the USA are accustomed to as a telephone subscriber.
Some creative persons in world history who are quite famous:
1. Thomas Edison.
2. Leonardo Da Vinci.
3. Marie Curie.
4. Alexander Graham Bell.
5. Galileo Galilei.
6. Richard Feynman.
7. Bill Gates.
8. Larry Ellison.
9. Mark Zuckerberg.
10. Larry Page.
11. Steve Jobs.
12. Nikola Tela.
13. Benjamin Franklin.
14. Charlie Chaplin.
15. Steven Spielberg.
16. Albert Einstein.
17. Sir Isaac Newton.
18. Aamir Khan.
19. AR Rahman.
20. Sunil Gangopadhyay.