IELTS Cue Card Sample 523 - Describe your favourite bird
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 28 November 2017 14:07
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 11539
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe your favourite bird.
You should say:
- what it is
- what it looks like
- is it a common bird in your country
and explain why it is your favourite bird.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
I love birds and I am very fond of parrots. Due to the beautiful colours, sweet vocals and friendly characteristics, the parrot is my favourite bird.
Sample Answer 2:
Shy Albatross is one of the most available birds in Australia. This is the bird that has undergone several changes in its category and known in different names. I like it most than any other birds for some reasons.
Shy Albatross is a medium-sized bird that is also known as Shy Mollymawk. Earlier, there were some confusions over the classification of this bird. After a number of research and argumentations, bird specialists have reached the decision that Shy Albatross belongs to Thalasarche species. It was shifted from its former class – Diomedea. In the beginning, everyone thought that this one belongs to Salvin’s albatross but observing some changes in its behaviours and types, the species class was changed finally. Now the bird is available on three Australian islands. The bird is also known as the white-capped albatross.
Shy Albatross is the bird that has a different look in size and shape of albatross family. Usually, a Shy Albatross is 35 inches in length while its wingspan is around 100 inches. It looks a healthy bird for its weight that ranges around 4 kilogrammes. The bird is largest in its species and comes with different colours including white, slate-grey and black. The underwing contains a black thumb marking which has made it attractive while flying. Moreover, the matured Shy Albatross comes with a white forehead accompanied by a crown. The face is pale grey. Some of the body parts are grey-black while the rest of the body is white in colour. Shy Albatross has a grey-yellow beak as well. As a result, the bird has got a gorgeous look.
Shy Albatross is a common bird in my country. But somehow it is getting endangered and within the next few days, it may turn into a vulnerable species. Basically climatic changes, loss of their habitat for causes created by men, wild animals etc. are the key reasons behind its vulnerability. To preserve the Shy Albatross, initiatives have been adopted and the research is still underway. Once it was available in almost all the islands of Australia but now the breeding of the bird has declined to a notable extent. Survival for the birds is becoming difficult. Now the birds are available on Albatross Island, Mewstone and Pedra Branca.
I like the bird very much for its special nature and looks. Shy Albatross is not a hunting bird but it can participate in pursuit to feed itself. The bird mostly takes fish, tunicates and cephalopods etc. Its breeding is also interesting. Almost all the birds breed in some calm atmosphere but it breeds on rocky islands. The bird is able to make its nest nicely. The nest is made of grass, roots, and soil collected from different places. The child birds have an unbelievable skill of flying. They are able to fly even to South Africa at a stretch. Shy Albatross are able to produce stomach oil which helps them to fly a long distance or to create a food source for their chicks. Sometimes they use it to protect themselves as well. For all such reasons, Shy Albatross has become my preferred bird.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe your favourite bird.1. The house sparrow is my favourite bird. This is a tiny creature with a lightweight body. The bird is available across the UK. I love the house sparrow because it helps me to get up from sleep every day. This is the only bird that does not make any unnecessary noise. Besides, a house sparrow also looks very nice with its coloured feathers. Its beaks are smaller and it has an overall attractive look. Considering all the matters, this is my favourite bird.
2. I love to hear the noise of woodpeckers. In fact, the hairy woodpeckers are my favourite birds in this state, Ohio. The bird has a smart look with a large beak. The colour may vary often but most of them are available in black and white. They are very common in the USA. The sound created by the bird is awesome. Moreover, I a adore the labour it invests to dig a tree. So, this is my favourite bird.
3. Though three separate species of this bird is found, I like the black and white magpie. The birds are available in separate colour combinations and the average size is around 43 centimetres. The back markings of the bird are different than the other types of this species. The Australian Magpies is available across Australia. The bird prefers to stay on the ground than flying. And they look wonderful when they jump with the small thin legs. So, this is my favourite bird.
4. Slaty Bunting is my preferred bird here in China. The bird is distinctive than the other birds because of its unusual tail. It is available in brown colour and comes in a smaller size. This is a common bird across the country and comes with a few varieties. I love the bird because it helps to keep the environment cleaner. It takes insects and other unwanted invertebrates as diet. So, the environment remains clean. Considering the environmental issue, I love the bird.
5. Asian Koel is the only bird that I love most in my city in India. The bird belongs to the cuckoo family. This is a singing bird and comes with a light black and brown colour. But the male birds are a bit greenish-black. Sometimes the colour appears light brown as well. This is a very common bird in the country and even it has become the symbol of the local poetry. The bird can sing very well and often I wake hearing the whistles of the bird at my window. Therefore, the Asian Koel has become my loveable bird.