IELTS Cue Card Sample 526 - Describe a joke that made you laugh
- Last Updated: Sunday, 26 November 2017 15:58
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 4304
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a joke that made you laugh.
You should say:
- what the joke was about
- who told you that joke
- was it funny
and explain why this was an interesting joke that made you laugh.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
My recent meet with my college buddies was great fun. We gathered after a long time near the Sydney Opera House and discussed different topics. At the gathering, there was a writer who cracked a joke over the current political conditions. We all laughed.
The joke was about a thief and his selection as a cabinet member in a fictional state. One day the police caught a thief red-handed. The thief was produced at the court. But the thief disagreed to be trialled on the court with excuses that the judge is dishonest. The issue was covered in the mainstream media. So, the issue was raised at the cabinet with the presence of the thief. The Premier asked the Home Minister to run the trial, but the minister denied saying that he is imperfect and often becomes corrupt. So, it was shifted to the Minister for Foreign Affairs - he also denied running the trial with the same reason of discrepancy on different issues. Almost all the ministers were asked to run the trial but all of the refuted with the similar reason. When finally the trial was shifted to the Premier, he also denied that saying that he is to run a state and he also needs to be corrupt sometimes. Suddenly, someone from the cabinet proposed to enlist him in the cabinet saying this will end the troubles.
Samuel is one of my close buddies. He loves to think critically about the society. Now he is an established writer cum journalist and writes fictions for a newspaper. Besides, he also writes as a freelance writer for some other agencies as well. I met him first at my college here in Australia. He joined us in the middle of the year. In fact, he was late for attending the classes though enrolled at the beginning of the year. He was troubled with visa processing at that time as he is non-native in Australia. However, after his joining, it appeared that our class was revived. He was smart and still he is. With his innovative speeches and activities, he made the classes fun and even the teachers also liked him for his witty questions and wise responses.
We all present at the gathering laughed. In fact, it really was an interesting for us and too funny. The reasons behind the joke were extremely positive. Actually, the reason of the thief for not being tried by any dishonest judge or public representative was amusing. Initially, the joke appeared quite interesting and we all laughed. We all laughed at the joke by our heart. Some of us started imitating like the thief – only to extend the fun.
The joke was really an interesting one for some reasons. In fact, the thief was correct in some sense. He did not want to be trialled with someone who is corrupt like him. He wanted to be trialled by someone who was honest so that he could get the right verdict for his misdeeds. But there was not an honest individual who could play the role of the judge to solve the issue. So, someone from the cabinet proposed to make him a minister and this will reduce the trial dilemma. Though the place and the characters are fictional, this is a common issue for almost all of the countries. Corruption is prevailing everywhere. We are accustomed to it but this joke was a type of blow against corruption.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a joke that made you laugh.
1. The joke was about doctor and patient. I heard the joke from a friend of mine. Certainly, it was a funny joke. It was interesting because I could not think that the ending would be so funny. I laughed for next few minutes.
2. It was a joke about the president of a country. Samuel told me the joke. It was amusing indeed. The joke made me laugh because it pointed out the silly matters of the president and he was unaware of that.
3. I heard a joke about men and women. Maria told me the joke and it was profoundly funny. It was interesting to me because of the solution in the end. I was happy with the witty solution of the problem that appeared before.
4. Jokes about the wedding are interesting and recently I have heard a joke about a wedding. My friends Robert told it to me. It was funny and I laughed too much. The joke was interesting as it dealt with a certain issue that people do notice during the wedding.
5. Making a cookie is simple but the joke that I heard was outstanding. Andrew cracked the joke before a group of audience and I was present there. It was extremely funny. I did not have any idea that cookies could be made differently and so it was interesting to me.
6. Popular brands often become the subject of laughing stocks and the joke was about such a brand. A friend of mine at the college told me the joke. It was funny in every sense. I actually could not think that such petty issues can make me laugh loudly.
7. Drinking alcohol is not always adorable but the joke made think it differently. Johnson told me the joke about alcohol drinking. It was extremely funny that I laugh even if I remember it now. The joke was interesting for its way of expression.
8. The conversation between husband and wife can also be a great joke and it was about some usual matter. My bestie, Annie told me the joke. I laughed out loud hearing it. The joke was interesting because the daily conversation has been converted to a hilarious matter.