IELTS Cue Card Sample 546 - Describe a popular public event that you went to
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 05 May 2020 01:04
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 13013
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a popular public event that you went to (such as a carnival, sports event or religious event).
You should say:
- what the event was
- when and with whom you went there
- why you enjoyed this event
and explain why this is a popular event.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Back in the days of my student life, July and August months used to be my most favourite time of the year for two reasons: one of these reasons was, of course, the beautiful summer weather, and another one is watching a very popular sports event of my country. Today, I will talk about that popular sport that I attended about 8 years ago.
This popular sports event called the national football league tournament in which all of the top-rated football clubs of my country used to take part. All of these football clubs had a very significant support base all over the country. As a crazy fan of this great sport called “football”, I also had my own favourite club. The club, I supported, wasn’t really one of the best in the tournament, but still, I supported it because they represented the region in which I lived.
By the way, this football tournament used to take place in the capital city of my country, and my parents wouldn’t really allow me to travel to the capital city just to watch some game since I was so young. So, all I could do was to watch the games on television. But, when my team somehow managed to reach the semi-final of the tournament, I had to go to watch the game by being present at the stadium. So, I begged my parents and they allowed me to go with a few high school friends of mine, who also supported the same club. Anyway, in that semi-final match, my club lost, but it was the best football match I had ever watched. The shouting, the tension, the intensity of the competition in the field – everything made the match so much enjoyable and unforgettable.
Anyway, this is a popular event in my country because people from all walks of life in my country try to visit the stadium in order to watch this particular tournament. Besides, the huge prize money, which is awarded to the champion and the runners-up of this tournament, has taken this tournament to a new height of popularity.
Sample Answer 2:
My recent visit to Spain was wonderful and I had the chance to participate in a very popular public event in the country. It was the Cadiz Carnival. In fact, it was one of the most wonderful carnivals I have ever seen. It ran for around two weeks but I could not participate the whole two weeks. This candidate task card topic is indeed very nice and I will answer the remaining parts in brief here.
I work for a multinational car manufacturing company and it wanted to expand its existing branch in Spain. So, I was sent there to set up the right strategies at the beginning of this year. I stayed there for two weeks but the carnival began in the last week of my stay. Hence, it was troublesome for them to attend all the days as I had to finish my duties assigned from the main office. However, I enjoyed the event and also participated in some of the popular activities.
I went with a team of experts who also were responsible to assess the market and set the strategies. I was responsible to accumulate all the strategies together and make a final plan if the company will start moving with the plan or not. But the other team members were too much busy and could not enjoy the event. So, most of the time, I had to be alone while participating in the carnival. But the Spanish people were friendly and when they know that I was a foreigner, every one of them extended their helping hands.
I have visited some other countries but did not find such an interesting public event. I enjoyed the musical performances and the lyrics were outstanding. The carnival costumes were beautiful while the face paintings were adorable too. Based on the reasons, I enjoyed this event greatly.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a popular public event that you went to (such as a carnival, sports event or religious event).
1. It was the Robin Hood event at the Sherwood forest in England and I went there in the noon right before the beginning of the event. I went with my friends to enjoy the event. This was a public event and I enjoyed the entire event to the last minute. The event replicates the happenings of the legendary outlaw, Robin Hood. The event is popular among every age of people and particularly this is a heaven for little children. I also enjoyed the mock fight scenes with Robin Hood and the soldiers of the King.
2. Grapefest is a popular event in Texas and the history of the event dates back to 1986. I went there on the first day of the event. I went to listen to live music and take part in a wine-tasting competition. My friend, Jimmy, accompanied me there. 'The grape fest' was an enjoying event for me. I loved the live music. Testing wines was another impressive experience that I never had before. In fact, the event has become popular for the wine testing feature.
3. I went to the Philippi Festival in Greece. This is a public event and mostly takes place during the night time. The event runs through July and August each year. I went on the night of August and enjoyed the event. Roberto Corleone accompanied me in this event. I enjoyed the event much for the plays. The plays were based on the ancient historical events and the performers gave their bests to portray the characters. Many of the visitors come here only to enjoy the play.
4. Music concerts are very popular in Malaysia. It was a musical concert that I went to. I went there last September. My friend Tingku accompanied me to this event. The event was held in a local stadium in Kuala Lumpur and it was open for all. I enjoyed the event very much for some reasons. The venue was convenient and the accommodation system was adorable. I also could listen to the songs clearly. People also love such events as they have the chance to relax from the ordinary life.
5. Holi is a popular public event and festival across India. I took part in the last "Holi" event. In fact, it was great fun for me. One of my cousins accompanied me to this event. The streets were filled with people and throwing hues at each other. This is a very popular festival in the country. People of all cast creed and colour take part here. They forget social classification and get entertained.