IELTS Cue Card Sample 550 - Describe a happy experience from your childhood that you remember
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 05 May 2020 01:56
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 64974
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a happy experience from your childhood that you remember.
You should say:
- what it is
- how old you were then
- what exactly happened
and explain how you feel about it now.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
This is one of my favourite subjects to talk about since I have a very eventful and pleasant upbringing as a child. Anyway, while I am fond of many of my childhood memories and experiences, there is one experience which I specifically like to discuss here in as much details as possible.
This all happened when I was only about 10 or 11 years old and attending 5th grade in my elementary school. So, I guess that it is fair to say that I had already developed some sort of objective and logical understanding of the world around me, which also meant that I knew that what I liked or preferred. And, one such thing, which I really liked, was to swim.
In fact, I loved swimming so much that it would be almost impossible for my parents to keep me at home during the summer vacation as I would make any kind of excuse to get out of home and swim. Anyway, by that age, even though I managed to swim in all kind of waters, be it a pond, lake or a large river, I never swam in an ocean, and so I asked my father to take me to a sea to swim in it. Not to mention, my father was kind enough to take to me the sea and let me swim in it all day. By the way, I would never forget the experience of viewing underneath the ocean and viewing all kinds of fishes and stones while swimming in it. Besides, taking pictures with a group of foreign visitors, who taught me how to be good swimmer, was just an amazing experience.
Anyway, as I come to think of this experience, the first thing, I feel, is that I was so lucky to have such an understanding and caring father who took to pain to travel almost 600 kilometres just to offer me an opportunity to swim in an ocean. Besides, I also feel that if I didn’t go swimming in that ocean, I would never experience the vastness of an ocean with my little eyes.
Sample Answer 2:
One of the sweetest memories of my childhood was the first time I learned to ride a bicycle and I was tremendously glad to have the experience. My elder brother helped me ride a bicycle and he was very careful about it. Honestly, without his help, I would not have learned it. This candidate task card looks very interesting and I will explain the event now. I would also like to thank you to let me the opportunity to talk about it.
I was about six or seven, I cannot exactly remember the age. But it was not the age for a girl to learn to ride a bicycle. I just crossed my elementary grades when I learned to ride a bicycle. My older brother shared everything with me and I was his passenger on the newly received bicycle from his birthday. He was a teen but rode on bicycles like an adult.
After riding for a couple of days behind my brother, I wanted to learn to ride it myself. My brother, Jim, did not hesitate to teach me the riding. Initially, he explained how the bicycle worked and took me to take the rider seat. I fell on the ground several times and Jim instructed me to keep the balance. In the first phase, Jim used to control the bicycle from behind so that I do not fall on the ground and gradually I improved in riding the bicycle. Later, Jim allowed me to ride the bicycle alone.
It was a nice experience for me. I know how to ride a bicycle and even I can drive a car now. Jim is my instructor in this case too. In fact, as an older brother, Jim cared for me too much and helped me greatly in learning the riding and driving. So, I am grateful to him. If he would not take the initiatives in my childhood, I would not have become a driver in a true sense.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a happy experience from your childhood that you remember.
1. I got admitted to an elementary school in Montreal, Canada when I was barely 5 years old. In the first day of the school, I met with some of the other students and made a life-long friendship with them. I met Harry, Johanna, Julia, Robert, Alfred, and Jim. I feel lucky for having such people in my life. They are my best friends now and the bondage is stronger than ever.
2. My fifth birthday was the happiest event in my life. I was five years old and my parents wanted to celebrate my birthday. All the relatives were invited to the house – located in the southeast corner of Chennai, India. I was overwhelmed with the presents I received on that day. Everyone brought some sort of toys and clothing for me. I was happy with those and started playing with the toys immediately.
3. I went to visit the sea beach in Thailand with my parents. I was five or six years old – I cannot remember the exact age. It was a family trip and this was the first time I went out of my own country, Indonesia. My parents wanted to take me out of the country to let me see the world. I really feel good now about the experience. In fact, that was the very first trip out of my country and I was unable to make any other trips so far. So, often I check the pictures in Thailand.
4. My cousins arranged for a mini-golf in their courtyard in Hamilton. I was only eight years old when I took part in the game. They were unwilling to take me with them. They thought that I would not be able to play the game. But I made an outstanding score. Later, they all appreciated me and asked how I played so well. In fact, I was a quick learner and learned to play just seeing them.
5. Visiting a local water park was the most memorable experience of my childhood. I went to a park located in Chicago and had lots of fun. I was nine then. I did not have an idea that water amusement could be so interesting. My parents also took part in some other activities. It was a nice entertainment for all of us. I felt really glad and enjoyed the water rides very much.