IELTS Cue Card Sample 558 - Describe a situation when you had to wait for something special
- Last Updated: Saturday, 13 June 2020 14:22
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 23116
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a situation when you had to wait for something special to happen.
You should say:
- what it was
- what you did during that time
- what eventually happened
and explain what happened afterwards.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
This is indeed a special topic to talk about since it allows me to remember about a very special time when I had to wait for something very special to happen. It all happened about 10 years ago when I had to wait for my first computer to arrive.
It was the first year of my happy university student life, and I was living at a university dormitory with another fellow year-mate of mine, who had his own computer. As I could see my roommate doing all sorts of cool things on his computer, I also wanted to have my own computer and asked my father to buy one for me. But, my father told me to wait for at least a couple of weeks as he was terribly busy to buy me a computer at that time. So, all I could do at that time was to wait for at least two weeks before I could get my computer.
Needless to say, two weeks' waiting period at that time was probably the longest as well as the most exciting waiting period of my life. Anyway, as I was waiting all those times, I was discussing with my roommate about how to use my computer and what other cool and interesting things I would be able to do with it. My computer eventually was delivered to me at my dormitory after two weeks by a courier serviceman, and as soon as I got it, I felt like I was floating in the moon in joy and happiness.
Anyway, as I was done with my initial excitement and all that after having my computer, I immediately asked my roommate to set up the computer for me since I wasn’t too sure about how to do it. And once the computer was all set on my desk, I started to work on it like there is no tomorrow. In fact, I kept playing with my computer till the late night, and I stopped torturing my computer only after my roommate laughingly told me to give it a little rest and start over again the next day.
Sample Answer 2:
It was the eve of Christmas last year and I had to wait to receive my gift from my parents. I will always remember that night. In fact, I received one of the most important gifts of my life on that date. My parents wanted to make me happy and so, they gave me a very special gift marking Christmas. This is a pretty nice cue card for me, and I am happy with this.
The moments were filled with anxiety. I tried to focus on several things but failed. At first, I took a book right after supper. But I failed to focus on the book. Then I moved to play some computer games, and it was a failure as well. Later, I tried to concentrate on social websites and it turned in a fruitless effort too. In fact, I was too much excited and could not concentrate on anything at all. The moments turned longer and I could not enjoy the things I was doing.
Actually, my younger brother told me that I will receive something special from parents and thus I became excited. But I could not share my emotions with the other people fearing if I do not get the gift. Gradually, my dad came to me and said that he wanted to tell me something. He was serious and I was afraid. But suddenly he smiled and gave the gift to me.
I was too happy after receiving the package. The gifts were - a leather bag, a pair of sunglasses, a perfume from my preferred brand and a nicely decorated dress. Everything was packed in a single package. I jumped out with joy after unveiling the gifts and thanked them a lot for the gifts. I am using the products and grateful indeed to my parents.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a situation where you had to wait for something special to happen.
1. I was waiting for the birthday of my younger brother. In fact, I was waiting for the day to celebrate it in an extraordinary manner. I waited patiently for the moment to appear. Gradually the moment arrived. Then I surprised my younger brother with a nice gift. He was least expecting that. It was a special event for me because I organized everything.
2. My university admission test was yet to be published. Thereby, I had to wait until the publication. I was presuming that I would get a chance at the University of Bengaluru. When the result was published, I found my admission test roll number of the beginning part of the list. I was thrilled because of getting the chance at the university in my desired subject.
3. Dad told me to take me to dinner at night at a reputed restaurant here in Paris. I was eagerly waiting for night to appear. It appeared that time has become a sloth. Eventually, the moment appeared and dad made a phone call to me to get prepared for dinner. So, I got ready for dinner and went there with mom. It was a very nice dinner party indeed.
4. It was about participation at a college event. I had to wait a long time to get my name enrolled in the list of chess competition. I waited patiently in the queue. Gradually, my serial came and I got enlisted in the inter-class chess competition. I took part in the chess matches and got the second position. It was tough to defeat other competitors.
5. Waiting for a new phone is hard. When I heard that another version of the iPhone will be announced, I became impatient to grab that one. But I had to pass the moments patiently. Besides, it took a long time to reach phones in Indonesia. Finally, after waiting for a long time, I got the phone. It was a bit expensive for me though.