IELTS Cue Card Sample 564 - Describe a popular place for swimming you know in your country
- Last Updated: Saturday, 13 June 2020 15:28
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 23762
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a popular place for swimming you know in your country.
You should say:
- where it is
- what type of people go there
- when usually they go there
and explain whether this is a good place to go to.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Thank you for such an interesting topic as I do know about a few popular swimming places in my country, and today, I would be more than happy to talk about one of them in as much details as possible.
This popular swimming pool, I am talking about, is popularly known as “Dhaka University Swimming Pool”. Located in the Dhaka University campus, at the opposite of “Curzon Hall”, even though, this swimming pool was initially built for the students of Dhaka University, today it is open to all public.
There are two swimming pools: one is about 15 feet deep and has a large area. This swimming pool is used by the “experts” who want to practice diving. The other swimming pool is about 8 feet deep and relatively smaller. But, of course, both swimming pools are used by the swimming lovers to enjoy their time, especially, during the summer days.
Filled with crystal clear water and surrounded by some beautiful trees, these swimming pools attract all kinds of people and professionals, both young and adults, from all over the city to help them relax and spend some quality time by swimming with their friends and families. Many little children can be also seen here, trying to learn swimming with the help of their parents.
Anyway, while this swimming pool remains busy throughout the entire year, it is during the weekend in the summertime that it becomes even more crowded, be it in the day time or evening time. In fact, it becomes so crowded during the summertime that people actually have to wait to swim there. By the way, people can swim in this swimming pool from morning to late evening.
To conclude, this is a great place to go to do swimming, primarily because it has a nice environment. There are proper safety and security measures here, so people of all ages, especially the children, can enjoy swimming there. Besides, this place also has a happy atmosphere where people like to laugh and chat with each other in a rather friendly manner. In fact, I also go swimming in this place.
Sample Answer 2:
The National Aquatic Centre is located on the Level 1 of Bukit Jalil National Sports Complex in Kuala Lumpur. This is a great place for swimming and a notable number of people come here for the purpose. This is also a favourite place for professional swimmers as well. The swimming lines are wide and spacious. I think this is a special cue card for me and I will answer the questions in brief now.
This is a place where almost all types of people can pay a visit and swim. But some of the swimming lanes are reserved for special purposes. The local swimming academies have their own swimming lane here which the others cannot use. Besides, the swimming pool is also used by professional swimmers around the city. They come here for practice. Some of the locals also use the pool during the night time and in the early morning hours.
This is a swimming pool opened to the public. So, every day a good number of people gather here for swimming. The pool is crowded during the weekends. The weeknights are also crowded too. The long and wide lines provide the best possible service for the swimmers. But on the other days, the swimming pool is crowded with swimmers who want to learn swimming. The depth and lengths are attractive and thus it has gained popularity among the locals.
This is a good place to swim for many reasons. The most important thing is clean water. The authority is much careful about the cleaning issue and follows a couple of steps. No chemicals are used in the water for the swimmers' safety. A couple of lanes have made it convenient for everyone to swim here. Considering the grounds, this is a great place for swimming.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a popular place for swimming you know in your country.
1. The Goldiggins quarry is a popular place for swimming in Cornwall. The place is preferred by adventurous types of people. In fact, this is not a swimming pool, rather this is a nice location for outdoor swimming. The place is suitable for many other purposes too. People mostly come here in the noon and evening hours. In fact, this is a great place for swimming and beautiful lake water is charming for swimmers. The open sky, jade blue water –everything attracts the swimmers.
2. Lake George is located in New York and this place is swimming heaven. This is an open space and everyone can go there for swimming. The place is also preferable for a sunbath. Hence, swimmers gather here from the early morning. They enjoy the sunrise and even the sunset scenes. This is a wonderful place for swimming and passing leisurely moments. The beach is covered by lifeguards – so the place is safe.
3. The Sweetwater Pool in Edith River in Australia is a great place for swimmers. The entire area is surrounded by a majestic natural view. It attracts mostly people who want to swim under the open sky. And the best time to swim here is in the early morning or in the late afternoon. Honestly, this is a wonderful place for wild swimmers. The swimming holes come with plenty of crystal clear water and the feeling is awesome.
4. The sunset point in Diu, Gujrat in India is a wonderful place for swimmers. There are a small lagoon and a beach there. Swimming is perfect when there is no tide. So, the swimmers are advised to know the tidal hours before visiting the beach. The entire area is surrounded by palm trees. Most of the time, people come here to enjoy the sunset views during swimming.
5. The beach in Kuta in Indonesia is a perfect place for swimmers. The beach allows all types of swimmers to swim in calm water. The suitable visiting hours to this beach is in the early morning and late evening. Besides, the swimmers are never ambushed with waves on this beach. The swimmers and visitors can also take part in other activities here.
If you can talk about this cue card topic, you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Describe a place where you go to in the evening.
2. Describe an activity you have recently started doing.
3. Describe a place in your hometown where people can go swimming.
4. Describe something you would start in the near future.
5. Describe a public place you know about in your city/town.
6. Describe something healthy you do regularly.
7. Describe an activity you would like to start but have not started yet.
8. Describe a form of exercise you like to do.