Cue Card Sample
IELTS Cue Card Sample 567 - Elderly person in your family who you enjoy talking to
- Last Updated: Thursday, 09 July 2020 15:36
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 70235
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an elderly person in your family who you enjoy talking to.
You should say:
- who this person is
- what he/she is like
- how often you see him/her
and explain why you enjoy talking to this person.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I enjoy the company of several elderly people in my extended family. I even get the opportunity to talk to some of them every now and then. But, I certainly don’t enjoy talking to them as much as I enjoy talking to my grandmother.
My grandmother is almost 75 years “young”. Yes, she doesn’t really like being called “old”, and she, of course, has reasons for that. In fact, even at this 75 years of age, she pretty much has all her teeth, and she very seldom uses any glasses unless she has to read some really fine print. Of course, she sometimes complains about the joint pains on her body, but that hardly ever stops her from walking like a 40 years young and get her things done without any help from others around her.
By the way, I have found my grandmother to be very “conservative” when it comes to spending money, even though, she is considered to be a reasonably wealthy person since her husband (my grandfather) left a considerable amount of wealth for his wife before passing away. And because of this conservative approach of her in spending money, I have never seen her keeping more than just a few set of dresses. But, just because she doesn’t like spending money, it doesn’t mean that she keeps her dresses untidy or dirty. Rather, I have found her dresses to be always ironed and spotlessly clean. Anyway, since my grandmother lives with us, it is quite natural for me to see her and talk to her at least couple of times a day – once before going out to work and other time is before going to bed at night.
Anyway, I enjoy talking to my grandmother, primarily because she is very soft-spoken. In fact, I have hardly ever found her to be cranky like other elderly people of her age. Besides, I also enjoy talking to her because she shares a lot of funny and interesting stories from her childhood and young days.
Sample Answer 2:
Thank you very much for the opportunity to let me talk about a senior person in our family. My grandfather is the elderly person in my family and lives with us here in Wellington. He is an intelligent and active man even in his 60s. Most of his stories are made from his real-life experiences when he served as a soldier in the army. So, I enjoy talking with this person and learn numerous invaluable lessons from each of the conversations. This is a great cue card task topic for me and I would like to thank you for this. I am glad to have it in my share.
My grandfather, Thomas Connor, was a brave soldier and served in the army for over 20 years. He was promoted to a higher rank of the army and got an early retirement for his vision impairment. But he looked very strong and smart with his official uniform. Still, he has a smart look with his glasses. He is able to drink a huge amount of beer at a time and loves to take part in outdoor activities.
I frequently meet him and when it is a weekend, I am glued to my grandfather round the day. In this time, I have nothing to do and the college is closed. Moreover, my grandfather also gets some spare moments to spend with the family. But I occupy the largest share of the moments from him. On a regular day, I do not have much time to spend with grandpa. I only wish him a good morning and leave for the college.
I love talking with this person. He has travelled to different parts of the world and so his knowledge is far enriched than the other people of my family. He also loves to spend time with me and teaches me about numerous issues. Based on the reasons, I like to talk with him.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe an elderly person in your family who you enjoy talking to.
1. I live in a nuclear family in Paris and enjoy talking to my grandmother. She looks nice with her curly hair and deep blue eyes. I frequently meet with her and most of the time it is the evening when I meet her. I love to talk with her for some reasons. She knows much about many real-life skills and shares her knowledge with me. Besides, when I am in trouble, I take suggestions from her.
2. My dad is the most admirable person in my family and I love to talk with him most. He is a retired police officer and served the German police for many years. Since he is retired, he passes most of his time at home and engaged in writing. But I only meet him during the night hours as I remain busy round the day with my academic activities. He loves to talk and his way of talking is different from other Germans. So, I enjoy talking with him.
3. Grandma is the most generous person in our family. I love to talk with her. She is now old and got several old age complications. But she can tell attractive stories. So, I love to listen to her stories in bedtime. She is the only person whom I can share everything. I share my happenings of college and she also enjoys listening to me.
4. My mom is my best friend. She looks gorgeous with all the time. I meet her every day. In fact, she is my constant companion at home. I spent all the times with her at my residence located in Indonesia. I love to talk with her. She knows everything. She guides me on all the necessary issues. In fact, I am amazed at her solutions. So, I love to talk with her.
5. Johnson is my uncle who is in his 60s and I am a big fan of him. He is my mentor in every respects. He has got a simple look with a cute face. I meet him every day. Actually, we share the same room at home. So, meeting with him is not a big deal for me. I love to have conversations with him for his insights. He can analyze situations perfectly and takes necessary decisions which are highly commendable.
If you can talk about this cue card topic, you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Describe an old person you admire.
2. Describe someone you often have conversations with.
3. Describe someone in your family.
4. Describe one of your relatives whom you like.
5. Describe someone you like to spend time with.
6. Describe a person who you turn to for advice.