IELTS Cue Card Sample 568 - Describe an object you find particularly beautiful
- Last Updated: Thursday, 09 July 2020 15:42
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 36680
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an object you find particularly beautiful (e.g. a painting, sculpture, piece of jewellery/furniture, etc.).
You should say:
- where the artwork/object is
- how it was made
- what it shows/looks like
and explain why you find it particularly beautiful.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
My house is full of different kinds of furniture, that are laying there for ages, and that are also serving many purposes of my house. But, today, I would like to talk about a piece of furniture which is relatively new, and which I particularly find beautiful.
The furniture, I am talking about, is a large computer desk which my family has bought rather recently from a famous chain furniture store in my country. Even though it was primarily bought to use as a family computer desk, now we use it for practically all purposes, from ironing our clothes to eating our afternoon snacks. Not to mention, of course, the L-shape desk is large enough, not only to accommodate our big, old desktop but also to keep some of the best-looking flower vases that our house has.
Anyway, to describe the computer desk, in a bit more details, it is a brownish and wooden (from oak tree) desk that have perfectly well-rounded corners. Its edges on all sides are curved very smoothly in order to render the desk a rather modern look overall. It's also very wide and deep, which gives us plenty of room, not only to place a computer, but also to do other things which I have already mentioned above. By the way, even though, originally the desk, which can be broken into pieces and assembled easily, had a rather expensive price tag, my family actually got to buy it on a discounted price. In fact, the desk costed us only a little over 200 US dollars, which also additionally included some beautifully-designed metal legs if we wanted to ever use them later on.
Anyway, I find this particular piece of furniture beautiful, mainly because it looks very shiny as if it is just newly-bought. Besides, the particular piece of furniture blends in perfectly and naturally with the other household items inside the room in order to give it a rather elegant look.
Sample Answer 2:
Thank you for this nice cue card topic. In fact, the Statue of Liberty, located on the Liberty Island in New York, is one of the most impressive and wonderful sculptures in the whole world and attracts thousands of tourists every day from different parts of the world. This is a historical sculpture and was a gift from the French people to the USA marking the centennial of the liberty of the USA. I am thankful for this cue card topic and the remaining answer goes here.
It was made of copper. The structure of the statue was made with a combination of iron and copper. And it was sent to the USA by breaking down the entire statue into several parts. The design of the statue was done by Frederich Bartholdi while it was made by Gustave Eiffel himself who is also famous for the construction of the Eiffel Tower in France.
The statue is a symbolic one and the Lady Liberty has a nice look. The statue is also known as the Liberty Enlightening the World. The statue is in the form of a robbed woman who represents Libertas. Libertas was a Roman goddess. And here, the statue wears a crown on her head, holds a torch with her right hand above the head. She is also carrying a book in her left arm that contains the date of independence declaration of the USA. The broken chain down at her feet symbolizes freedom.
This is a beautiful sculpture indeed in all terms. Though the symbolic meaning is not known to all, people all around the world come to visit the statue and the island only to enjoy its exceptional beauty. Earlier, the visitors could have reached the torch but now the visit is limited. It has been enlisted with the UNESCO World Heritage Site list in 1984.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe an object you find particularly beautiful (e.g. a painting, sculpture, piece of jewellery/furniture, etc.).
1. Recently, I went to a museum in Germany and found a painting quite elegant. It was painted with oil composition. A country view was portrayed in the portrait. The painting looked striking on the wall. In fact, it was the first thing that attracted my respects. It was completely different from the other types of artefacts in the museum. The scenarios were bright and it was really admirable.
2. The half-man and half mountain, also known as the colossus are located in Italy. It was erected in 1500 by a famous Italian sculptor. The sculpture was made with a combination of different elements. The statue looks like a monster trying to grab something from the water. The sculpture is beautiful in some senses. It has some rooms inside the body which are trickily hidden. The sculpture is also 35 feet tall and comes with a strong look.
3. The Sapphire Ring used by Princess Diana is now handed over to Kate Middleton. It was an iconic ring and was given to Diana on her engagement. The shape and size of the rings are perfect. The stone on the ring shines brightly even in low light. The ring has some specialities. First of all, the price is an issue to consider. Besides, the historical value of the ring is immeasurable. Prince Charles gave the ring to Lady Diana Spencer and only for that reasons, the ring is more valuable aside from its real price.
4. 'The Thinker' is one of the most preferred sculptures in the world. The Thinker is located in Paris. It was made of bronze. This is a nude male sitting and thinking deeply. In fact, many believe this figure to be the symbol of philosophy. The sculpture appears beautiful to me for its nice colour and structure. It is 73 inches in height and different techniques have been made to complete the entire statue.
5. The Last Supper is one of the delicate works of Leonardo da Vinci. The painting is available in a dining hall in Milan, Italy. The painting exhibits Jesus with some of his disciples. This is a masterpiece. It depicts the last supper of Jesus Christ before his Crucifixion. It appeared beautiful to me for some reasons. The photo was too lively that it appeared everything was happening before my eyes.
6. The Tiffany Yellow is the largest known cushion cut diamond in the world. The diamond is exhibited at a flagship store in Manhattan. The diamond comes with a 128-carat weight. The diamond looks outstanding more than any other pieces of ornaments and has been worn only twice so far with over 150-year history. The diamond has a striking look on a ribbon-shaped necklace. At present, it is one of the most valuable diamond pieces in the world.
Your preparation for this cue card topic would help you talk about the following cue card topics as well:
1. Describe something important you own.
2. Describe a gift you recently gave to someone.
3. Describe something you bought recently.
4. Describe an item you ever bought from your visit to another city.
5. Describe a painting or sculpture you like.
6. Describe the best gift you have ever received.
7. Describe something beautiful you own.
8. Describe a beautiful gift or present you got for your birthday.
9. Describe a famous painting or sculpture from your country.