Cue Card 574 - Describe a TV series/show you enjoy watching
- Last Updated: Monday, 24 August 2020 18:57
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 39186
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a TV series/show you enjoy watching.
You should say:
- what the TV series/show is about
- who acts in it
- how often it is on
and explain why you enjoy watching this TV series/show so much.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
US televisions air some great quiz shows. In fact, if I know that there is a quiz show on TV, I don’t really bother to watch other programmes, no matter how great and entertaining they really are. Today, I would like to talk about one such great TV quiz which I got hooked with, after watching it for the first time about a decade ago.
The name of this TV quiz show is called “Jeopardy”. Arguably regarded as the best and most popular TV quiz show, as well as one of the 60 greatest shows of all time in American television history, Jeopardy started its journey in the year of 1964.
Since then, more than 8000 episodes of this quiz show have been aired which helped it win a record number of 33 Daytime Emmy Awards as well as a Peabody Award. Jeopardy has also gained a worldwide following with regional adaptations in many other countries.
This quiz show, currently hosted by Alex Trebek, features a quiz competition, in which 3 contestants, including the returning champion, are presented with general knowledge clues in the form of answers, and are expected to must phrase their responses in the form of questions. Contestants are free to phrase the response in the form of any question; the traditional phrasing of "who is/are" for people, and "what is/are" for things or words. Also, this quiz show is comprised of three rounds: Jeopardy, Double Jeopardy, and Final Jeopardy, and the material for the clues (all these clues in the show are actually presented as "answers") covers a wide variety of topics, including history and current events, the sciences, the arts, popular culture, literature, and languages. The show is aired 5 times a week.
Anyway, I enjoy this show much, primarily because it allows me to engage in a competition of intellect from the comfort of my own home and living room. I enjoy the show also because it helps me take my knowledge to the next level while providing the confidence in me to actually take part in this show someday with those other smart contestants.
Sample Answer 2:
I often watch television series and "Outlander" appears as the best one to me. This Tv serial is about time travel. Outlander is a drama series and the theme is developed based on some historical events and time travelling through the events. A nurse from the Second World War period is taken back to 1743 and she encounters a good number of events. This is really an interesting television series I have seen so far. This is a great cue card topic for me and I will describe the events now.
Two seasons of the series has been aired so far. In those episodes and some of the characters have been recurred in the second series. Caitriona Balfe plays the role of Claire Beauchamp Randall/Fraser in the first series while it was also starred by Sam Heughan on the role of James with Tobias Menzies on the role of Frank Randall, Laura Donnelly as Jenny Fraser, Duncan Lacroix as Murtagh Fraser, Steven Cree as Ian Murray among others.
The first season had 16 episodes together, and the first eight episodes were aired in August in 2014 and September of the same year. And the remaining eight episodes of the series of the first season was aired in April of 2015 and ended by May of the same year. The second season of the series was aired in April of 2016 and ended by July of the same year. Interestingly, the date of the third season will be announced soon.
This is highly an interesting series to enjoy. Travelling through time and getting involved in different activities really make me thrilled. When a woman of this century gets back in a former century and tries to survive amid troubles. Moreover, the writing style, casting, and other dramatic elements make it worth to watch.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a TV series which you enjoy watching.
1. The walking dead is my favourite television show. It is aired based on series. And this is all about zombies and apocalyptic events. A notable number of people have starred in the series. It began on a local USA TV channel in 2010 and a new session is yet to come. I love the show for some reasons. The show reminds me of such a situation when humans will struggle to live on and protect themselves from zombies. All the moments are thrilling and so I enjoy it.
2. CID is the longest-running television series in India and I like it most. The TV series is about investigating different types of crime by Mumbai police. The series is starred by Shivaji Satam, Dayanand Shetty, Aditya Srivastav, Dinesh Phadnis and Narendra Gupta among others in different roles. The series is aired on Sony Television on a weekly basis. I enjoy the show because of its plot, scripts, and performance of the artists.
3. Eternal Love is a Chinese television show. It is also known by other names like – Three Lives Three Worlds. The show is based on the novel of the same name. The plot is a combination of several aspects of the love of human and goddess, fighting ghosts and their powers etc. It is starred by Yang Mi and Mark Chao while there are many other supporting roles. The series is broadcast on a daily basis in some local and international channels. I love the suspense of the events and wait to know the consequences.
4. In Japan, Trigun was a popular anime television series and I used to watch it. The series was about bounty hunters who had been seeking a person to kill but the person had no idea what he did. There are several characters that lead the series to a conclusion. It was aired on a regular basis on a local television channel in Tokyo (I actually forgot the tv station name). I enjoyed the series because it had the flavour of western movies made in Hollywood.
5. Babylon Berlin is newly aired television drama series in Germany. The series is about the transfer of a police inspector into the capital in the setting of 1920. The series is starred by Volker Bruch, Liv Lisa Fries, Leonie Benesch, Peter Kurth among others in different roles. The series has been premiered in October of 2017. I enjoy the series because it is the combination of interesting issues like crime, history, love etc.
Similar other cue card topics that you should be able to answer with your preparation for this cue card topic:
1. Describe your favourite TV programme.
2. Describe a TV series or programme popular in your country.
3. Describe a cinema or TV programme you wanted and enjoyed.
4. Describe your favourite TV show.