Cue Card Sample
Describe someone you know who does something well - Cue Card 585
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 02 May 2023 13:05
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 164113
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe someone you know who does something well.
You should say:
- who this person is
- how you know this person
- what he/she does well
and explain why you think this person is so good at doing this.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I am lucky to have some great people in my circle of friends and acquaintances who are successful both in their personal and professional life. Some of them even take pride in their works since they do them (their works) really well, and I am going to share the story of one such person, whom I have known for a long time.
This person is none other than the father of one of my high school friends who I have known for more than 10 years. The person, I am talking about, is a “Tailor” or a “Dressmaker” by profession. He runs his tailor shop at a very prime location of our hometown, and as far as I remember, I have never seen a dull moment at his shop because people from all over the town visit his shop to get their dresses made just the way they prefer.
Initially, I thought that most people visit his shop to make their dresses because he would charge them less money for making them, but I was later proved out to be wrong when I found out that they visit him also because he is really good at his works. Of course, one of the great characteristics of this person is that he personally gets involved with every detail of the works of his employees and subordinates so that there is no room for errors. Besides, I have seldom seen him missing his work except when he is really sick. In fact, I have found him to be working even on public holidays sometimes.
Anyway, I think that this person is really good at doing what he does, mainly because I have never heard any complaints from any of his customers about his quality of works. Besides, the fact that so many people from in and outside of our city visit him on a daily basis to get all kinds of dresses done, be them for male, female, children or professional, goes to prove the fact that he is really good at his tailoring job.
Model Answer 2:
I know a person who is exceptionally good at cooking. His name is Jack, and I have known him for almost 5 years now. I met him through a mutual friend, and since then, we have become good friends. Here, I would like to talk about Jack and his cooking skills.
Who this person is:
As mentioned earlier, Jack is a friend of mine whom I have known for almost 5 years now. He is a professional chef and runs his restaurant in the city. Jack is passionate about cooking, and he is always exploring new recipes and techniques to enhance his cooking skills.
How you know this person:
I got to know Jack through a mutual friend. Initially, we used to meet at parties and get-togethers, but over time we became good friends. We share a common interest in cooking and often discuss new recipes and cooking techniques.
What he/she does well:
Jack is an expert in cooking different types of cuisines, including Chinese, Italian, Mexican, and Indian. He can cook anything from simple comfort food to complex dishes with intricate flavours. Jack's dishes are not only delicious but also visually appealing. He pays attention to every detail, from the presentation of the dish to the taste, and this makes his cooking stand out.
And explain why you think this person is so good at doing this:
In my opinion, Jack's passion for cooking is what makes him so good at what he does. He enjoys every aspect of cooking, from selecting ingredients to presenting the final dish. Jack is always experimenting with new ingredients and techniques to create unique flavours. He has also undergone formal training in cooking, which has helped him master the technical aspects of cooking. Jack's creativity, passion, and skill make him stand out as an exceptional cook.
Sample Answer 3:
I have a cousin who has recently graduated from university and she is exceptional at website design. I have had the opportunity to observe her work and see the amazing websites that she has created. For this topic, I would like to talk about her and her skills in website design.
Who this person is:
My cousin, Lily, is a recent graduate with a degree in Computer Science. She has always been interested in design and decided to specialize in website design during her studies.
How you know this person:
Lily and I have been close since childhood. We grew up together and have always been close friends.
What he/she does well:
Lily is an incredibly talented website designer. She has a great eye for design and understands the technical aspects of website creation. She is skilled in various programming languages and can design websites from scratch.
And explain Why you think this person is so good at doing this:
Lily has always had an eye for design. She is creative and has an excellent understanding of colour, shape, and layout. She is also technically skilled and has spent countless hours perfecting her craft. Her passion for website design is evident in every project she works on. I believe she is so good at this because she has a natural talent for design and has put in the hard work to master the technical skills required.
Sample Answer 4:
Ms Nefertiti teaches art and painting at a local school in Alexandria. She is also a prominent painter and able to paint anything she wants or her students ask for. She believes painting is her silence of thought and music of sight. Completing her post-graduation from Paris, she returned to Egypt and been engaged in teaching art, painting drawing cartoons etc. Besides, she is smart and intelligent. This is an outstanding cue card and I love the questions. Here go the remaining answers.
I first met with Ms Nefertiti at the school of Ubaid, my son. I went to bring him back home and found her waiting. She wanted to talk to me about some issues of Ubaid. She informed me about the potentials of my boy in the painting. She told me that Ubaid creates with heart. Painting is a voyage and my son could be a great sailor here someday.
She is highly skilled in painting contemporary issues. Even she is engaged with a local newspaper where she draws cartoons. She is a young lady with painting in her heart and mind. I have seen some of the paintings of this lady and got amazed. She expresses her thoughts in painting beautifully and selects out of the box themes. Each of her paintings carries a message for her audience.
After years of practice, she mastered painting. Before starting to teach painting at the school, she arranged exhibitions with her painting. Luckily I had the chance to visit one of such exhibitions. Undoubtedly those were some masterpieces. Her vision in mind makes her outstanding than other painters. She imitates what she thinks and so the paintings are stunning. She also takes less time to paint for her strong imagination skill. For all the reasons, I think she is good at painting.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe someone you know who does something well.
1. Mr Robert is a middle-aged man and my neighbour here in London. As I rented the house a few months ago, I invited some of my neighbours and met him there. He has an extraordinary decision-making skill that is scarce among many ordinary people. In fact, he takes the right decision at the right time and I believe his past experiences of visiting different places makes great stories.
2. My meeting with Samuel was a miracle indeed. I was in trouble with a math problem at my university in San Francisco, and he appeared like an angel. Actually, he is very good at math and can solve almost all types of problems related to mathematical issues. I do believe that there are some people who are gifted and he was one of them. I have never seen someone before to solve mathematical problems so fast.
3. I needed some idea for my project and meet with Mr Nero. He was our art teacher here at the university in Paris. I met him around two years ago when I got admitted to this university. He is a creative thinker. He can think extraordinarily and brings the best of them. Mr Nero has been performing the role of art and craft instructor and has gained huge experience in this field and he is highly capable to provide creative solutions.
4. After completing the analysis on an economic topic to be published in a local newspaper in China, I wanted to check the content and met with Dr Jian. He is the associate professor at my university and loves me much for my inquisitive nature. He has a great skill in critical thinking and an outstanding analytical ability. So, I sought support from him and he extended his helping hand. He is good at critical thinking because he always keeps himself busy in research and studies.
5. It was a nice evening when I went to a musical event. Ms Samira was the key attraction there. She sings Arabic songs beautifully. I came to know about her form a friend of mine who runs such musical events across the UAE. She is exceptional in singing songs in Arabic language and being a native Arab, it sounds very well. I also was informed that she had been singing since her childhood. So, she was good at the job.
6. Inter-personal skills are not available at present among many people but Mr Xioam appeared different. He is very good at building nice inter-personal skills. I met him at a conference here in Malaysia. He attended the conference in Japan. He speaks very well and knows how to influence others. In fact, he is a public relation officer for his company headquartered in Tokyo and needs to deal with different types of professionals.
Part 3 - Two-way Discussion/ Details Discussion:
Discussion topics: Skills and abilities
Q. What skills and abilities do people most want to have today? Why?
Q. Which skills should children learn at school? Are there any skills which they should learn at home? What are they?
Q. Which skills do you think will be important in the future? Why?
Discussion topics: Salaries for skilled people
Q. Which kinds of jobs have the highest salaries in your country? Why is this?
Q. Are there any other jobs that you think should have high salaries? Why do you think that?
Q. Some people say it would be better for society if everyone got the same salary. What do you think about that? Why?
The answer to these part 3 questions could be found in - Speaking Test 74 - Part 3
Your preparation for this cue card topic would help you talk about the following cue card topics as well:
1. Describe a good person you know personally.
2. Describe a person who helps others.
3. Describe a good neighbour you often meet with.
4. Describe one of your family members whom you admire.
5. Describe a person who is famous in your area.
6. Describe a political leader who does good things for others.
7. Describe someone you know who can do something mentionable.