Cue Card 585 - Describe someone you know who does something well
- Last Updated: Monday, 24 August 2020 18:55
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 54284
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe someone you know who does something well.
You should say:
- who this person is
- how you know this person
- what he/she does well
and explain why you think this person is so good at doing this.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I am lucky to have some great people in my circle of friends and acquaintances who are successful both in their personal and professional life. Some of them even take pride in their works since they do them (their works) really well, and I am going to share the story of one such person, whom I have known for a long time.
This person is none other than the father of one of my high school friends who I have known for more than 10 years. The person, I am talking about, is a “Tailor” or a “Dressmaker” by profession. He runs his tailor shop at a very prime location of our hometown, and as far as I remember, I have never seen a dull moment at his shop because people from all over the town visit his shop to get their dresses made just the way they prefer.
Initially, I thought that most people visit his shop to make their dresses because he would charge them less money for making them, but I was later proved out to be wrong when I found out that they visit him also because he is really good at his works. Of course, one of the great characteristics of this person is that he personally gets involved with every detail of the works of his employees and subordinates so that there is no room for errors. Besides, I have seldom seen him missing his work except when he is really sick. In fact, I have found him to be working even on public holidays sometimes.
Anyway, I think that this person is really good at doing what he does, mainly because I have never heard any complaints from any of his customers about his quality of works. Besides, the fact that so many people from in and outside of our city visit him on a daily basis to get all kinds of dresses done, be them for male, female, children or professional, goes to prove the fact that he is really good at his tailoring job.
Sample Answer 2:
Ms Nefertiti teaches art and painting at a local school in Alexandria. She is also a prominent painter and able to paint anything she wants or her students ask for. She believes painting is her silence of thought and music of sight. Completing her post-graduation from Paris, she returned to Egypt and been engaged in teaching art, painting drawing cartoons etc. Besides, she is smart and intelligent. This is an outstanding cue card and I love the questions. Here go the remaining answers.
I first met with Ms Nefertiti at the school of Ubaid, my son. I went to bring him back home and found her waiting. She wanted to talk to me about some issues of Ubaid. She informed me about the potentials of my boy in the painting. She told me that Ubaid creates with heart. Painting is a voyage and my son could be a great sailor here someday.
She is highly skilled in painting contemporary issues. Even she is engaged with a local newspaper where she draws cartoons. She is a young lady with painting in her heart and mind. I have seen some of the paintings of this lady and got amazed. She expresses her thoughts in painting beautifully and selects out of the box themes. Each of her paintings carries a message for her audience.
After years of practice, she mastered painting. Before starting to teach painting at the school, she arranged exhibitions with her painting. Luckily I had the chance to visit one of such exhibitions. Undoubtedly those were some masterpieces. Her vision in mind makes her outstanding than other painters. She imitates what she thinks and so the paintings are stunning. She also takes less time to paint for her strong imagination skill. For all the reasons, I think she is good at painting.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe someone you know who does something well.
1. Mr Robert is a middle-aged man and my neighbour here in London. As I rented the house a few months ago, I invited some of my neighbours and met him there. He has an extraordinary decision-making skill that is scarce among many ordinary people. In fact, he takes the right decision at the right time and I believe his past experiences of visiting different places makes great stories.
2. My meeting with Samuel was a miracle indeed. I was in trouble with a math problem at my university in San Francisco, and he appeared like an angel. Actually, he is very good at math and can solve almost all types of problems related to mathematical issues. I do believe that there are some people who are gifted and he was one of them. I have never seen someone before to solve mathematical problems so fast.
3. I needed some idea for my project and meet with Mr Nero. He was our art teacher here at the university in Paris. I met him around two years ago when I got admitted to this university. He is a creative thinker. He can think extraordinarily and brings the best of them. Mr Nero has been performing the role of art and craft instructor and has gained huge experience in this field and he is highly capable to provide creative solutions.
4. After completing the analysis on an economic topic to be published in a local newspaper in China, I wanted to check the content and met with Dr Jian. He is the associate professor at my university and loves me much for my inquisitive nature. He has a great skill in critical thinking and an outstanding analytical ability. So, I sought support from him and he extended his helping hand. He is good at critical thinking because he always keeps himself busy in research and studies.
5. It was a nice evening when I went to a musical event. Ms Samira was the key attraction there. She sings Arabic songs beautifully. I came to know about her form a friend of mine who runs such musical events across the UAE. She is exceptional in singing songs in Arabic language and being a native Arab, it sounds very well. I also was informed that she had been singing since her childhood. So, she was good at the job.
6. Inter-personal skills are not available at present among many people but Mr Xioam appeared different. He is very good at building nice inter-personal skills. I met him at a conference here in Malaysia. He attended the conference in Japan. He speaks very well and knows how to influence others. In fact, he is a public relation officer for his company headquartered in Tokyo and needs to deal with different types of professionals.
Your preparation for this cue card topic would help you talk about the following cue card topics as well:
1. Describe a good person you know personally.
2. Describe a person who helps others.
3. Describe a good neighbour you often meet with.
4. Describe one of your family members whom you admire.
5. Describe a person who is famous in your area.
6. Describe a political leader who does good things for others.
7. Describe someone you know who can do something mentionable.