Cue Card Sample
Cue Card 586 - Describe your favourite music band
- Last Updated: Monday, 24 August 2020 18:55
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 43759
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe your favourite music band.
You should say:
- what is the name of the music band
- for how long you listen to their songs/music
- what are some famous song of this band
and explain why particularly you like this music band.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I have heard the music of so many music bands over the years, since my high school years, and all of them quenched the musical thirst of my heart and mind in some capacity. But, there is one music band, which literally blows my mind away with its legendary sounds and lyrics, is called “Enigma”. And, I am certainly glad to have an opportunity today to tell something about this music band because it tops the list of all of my favourite music bands in the world.
Anyway, if I remember correctly, I listened to the songs of this world-famous music band for the first time before almost 15 years when one of my rich high school friends played it for me in his car on our way to a market. Back then, I didn’t own any audio cassette player at my home, but after listening to the songs of Enigma, I not only fell in love with their songs but also became very desperate to buy my own cassette player in spite of the reluctance of my parents.
Apparently, my parents thought that having a cassette player at home would distract me from my regular study works. But, I wasn’t exactly ready to listen to any advice or warnings from my parents because I wanted to listen to the songs of my most favourite music band to my heart’s content. Anyway, after buying my cassette player, only god knows how many times I had listened to their songs, which included the songs like “I love you, I’ll kill you”, “Age of loneliness” and “ Mea Culpa”.
Anyway, I like this music band particularly because their songs are uniquely sensual with a very calming effect on minds and bodies. I like this music band also because their songs tend to transcend the time and generation, because of their extraordinary musical appeal, unlike the discos of 80’s, as well as the techno and hip-hop music of 90’s. In fact, their music just takes me on a wonderful emotional journey every time, I listen to them.
Sample Answer 2:
The Beatles is an English music band which was formed in England, and later on, the band gained unbelievable popularity across the world. It was one of the hit music bands in the world after its inception in the 1960s in Liverpool. 'The Beatles' was formed by George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. The band experimented with several types of music composition and became quite successful. It was widely popular for its unconventional types of music. This is a nice candidate task card for me and I am glad about this. Here are the remaining answers.
I have been listening to their songs since my childhood. Though the band is no longer available, I have a large collection of their songs. And often I love listening to their songs at my leisure hours. At present, I cannot manage much time owing my business to listen to music but when I was a student, I used to listen to music around the day. And the melodious songs of The Beatles entertained me much.
The Beatles have lots of famous songs. The band has reshaped different types of songs and initiated pop culture. Some of the most noted songs of this band are – ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’, ‘The Ballad of John and Yoko’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Getting Better’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘Hello Goodbye’, ‘All You Need is Love’ etc. All the songs were composed and tuned in a different manner. So, they gained global popularity.
There are many reasons to like this group. The band has dominated the rock era of the world. And I am in love with the music style of The Beatles. The group has experimented with various types of music genre together and the application of classical instruments have brought the change in style. The band was commercially successful as well and each individual of this band is a legend, and this is quite rare for any music band in history. So, I like this band very very much. Their music still inspires me and help me fight my stress.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe your favourite music band.
1. I love to listen to rock music and Broadcast is my favourite music band. It was formed in 1995 in the UK with the participation of original members including James Cargill, Steve Perkins, Trish Keenan, Roj Stevens, Tim Felton and others. I have been listening to their songs for the past couple of years. The band has some popular tracks like “The Book Lovers", "Echo's Answer", “Lights Out”. I love the band for its special types of music composition.
2. The Band is my preferred music band, and despite being a Canadian majority, it has some special blends of country and folk music and also performed blues too. I am familiar with the band for past seven years and it has a remarkable number of famous tracks like “Ain’t No More Cane”, Atlantic City, “Chest Forever”, “Go-Go Liza Jane”. “I Shall Be Released”, “Life Is A Carnival”. I liked the band for its enriched music and superb lyrics.
3. I prefer to listen to band music from AC/DC – the Australian band based in Sydney. At present, the band is run by Angus Young, Stevie Young, Chris Slade and Axl Rose. I have been listening to the band for the past five years. “Back in Black”, “Highway to Hell”, “T.N.T”, “Shoot to Thrill” - are some of its popular tracks. Since I love to listen to rock music, this band goes with my demand. Besides, I also like the special types of lyrics of this band.
4. Headless Chickens is my favourite band in New Zealand. The band is popular for using electronic musical instruments. The members of the band were Chris Matthews, Fiona McDonald, Johnny Pierce, Michael Lawry, Grant Fell, Bevan Sweeney, Anthony Nevison among others. I have been listening to the band from my teenage. Some of its popular tracks are “In Love With These Times”, “Collision”, “Give It a Whirl” etc. I love the band, particularly for the superb music composition.
5. The number of bands in Indonesia is fewer and Hightime Rebellion is one of them. the band got fans within a short time after its formation. Rendy Surindrapati, Reza Arafat, Miyane Soemitro, Pulung Wahyuaji and Jason Sutrisn are the current band members. F Song, Walking Hour, Hum, Winter in the Window, Crest of Mind, Sail, Left-Right etc. are some of the popular tracks of the band. I mostly love the psychedelic beats, tone, and the female voice.
Similar other cue card topics that you should be able to answer with your preparation for this cue card topic:
1. Describe a music band you listen to most of the time.
2. Describe a singer or a music band you like.
3. Describe someone you want to meet.
4. Describe a famous person you know about.
5. Describe a person who has a great influence on you.
6. Describe a music band you would like to see perform live.
7. Describe a music concert or live performance you have enjoyed.