Describe a language you would like to learn - Cue Card # 597
- Last Updated: Monday, 24 August 2020 17:39
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 104462
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a language you would like to learn.
You should say:
- what it is and how you plan to learn it
- where it is spoken
- how it will help you
and explain why you want to learn this language.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Learning a different language always helps, especially, if someone wants to improve his/her career and wants to learn about the culture and traditions of another country. However, here I want to talk about one particular language, which I really like to learn, is called “Mandarine”.
Mandarine, the language of about 1.5 billion people all over the world, is mostly spoken by the people in the South-East Asian countries, including mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Macau. It is also spoken by many Chinese expatriates who are living in the USA, Canada, Australia and many European countries.
Anyway, even though, learning Mandarine can be a quite challenging task, especially for an English speaking “American” like me, I think that I can still learn it easily if I stick with my plans. And, my plan includes practising alone with my textbooks, written in Mandarine and meeting a few Mandarine speaking friends both online and offline. I also plan to enrol in a Mandarine learning school. I am also planning to see more Chinese movies in order to understand the different tone and pronunciation methods of the Mandarin language. Besides, after already learning a few basic facts about Mandarine, such as how learning 1000 commonly used characters would help me recognize 90% of the characters in Chinese newspapers, and how straightforward is Chinese grammar, now I am confident more than ever that I can easily learn this complex language. Finally, I am also planning to memorize some basic and simple Chinese vocabularies in order to become fluent quickly.
Anyway, there are a couple of reasons for which I want to learn the mandarine. First, it would allow me to learn about the great culture of Chinese people in more details and objective manner. By the way, I also just to love to learn about different countries and culture in order to keep myself informed. Secondly, it would also allow me to avail better career opportunities in the future as more and more Chinese companies are becoming attractive places for working for professionals all over the world, including the USA.
Sample Answer 2:
I would like to learn the Italian language for some specific reasons. Currently, I am living in Sri Lanka and have got a scholarship at an Italian university. So I have to travel to Italy soon. I am planning to learn Italian from any recognized language teaching centre in my country. In fact, I am searching for such an institute where I can learn the language. This is a great cue card topic and thanks for the opportunity to let me talk about it.
The Italian language is also known as lingua Italiana. Italian is a Romance language which is widely used in some parts of the world including Italy, San Mario, Switzerland, Malta, and Albania. Besides, it is also spoken in the USA by the Italian migrates. Since I am going to Italy, I need to have a good command over the language.
Learning Italian would give me a competitive advantage once I am there. So, I think if I could know the language, it would be beneficial for me in the long run.
I want to learn the language for several reasons. First of all, it will help me communicate with the people and particularly with my classmates and teachers. Moreover, there are some courses in Italian language and if I do not know the language, I would not be able to cross the examination barriers. Hence, knowing the language will be a huge advantage for me. On top of that, learning the language would help me understand many aspects of Italian culture and tradition which will be helpful to me once I am in Italy.
Model Answer 3:
For some unexplainable reasons, I have always felt a passion for learning the Chinese language. The idea of learning this language is rooted back in my teenage days when one of my aunts learned this language and often explained how the grammar and punctuation of this language work. I would like to thank you for the opportunity to let me talk about this topic.
Though I have always wanted to learn this language, I have never given serious thought about actually doing it, until a year ago. The aunt I have talked about is working as a mechanical engineer in Beijing, China and came to visit us a year ago. I had a few conversations about her life in China and at a time we discussed the language she uses to communicate. She explained how learning a new language can help us widen our perceptions and accommodates us to understand a new culture. After she left the country, I saw an advertisement from one of our local university about offering a six month's course to learn a second language for university students.
As soon as I learned that they offer a Chinese language course, I became interested. Though I have not started the course yet, I am determined to intake it next summer. The Chinese language has many varieties and I would specifically learn the standard Chinese language which is mainly spoken in China, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau. Standard Chinese is also called Mandarin and have some variations based on where it is spoken.
I will not learn this language for any particular reason or for professional benefits. Rather, I would learn it from the sheer interests I feel about the language and Chinese culture. But, I believe that learning a foreign language always offers some hidden benefits. Though I am not sure, who knows, someday it might be proved to be a necessary skill!
As I have already stated, I would take the 6 month's language course at a local university and hopefully, that would give me a good grip on the basic of the language. After that, I will surely take advantage of the online resources to further enhance my skill in the Chinese language. Besides, I will have some friends, hopefully, from the language course, who would be a good fit for me to practise the language even after the course is over. Furthermore, I will have video conferences with my aunt who now lives in China and practise Chinese whenever possible. These are my plans to master the language but I am sure with the course of time, I would be able to devise some more intuitive ways of becoming proficient in Chinese.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a language you would like to learn.
1. Recently I have visited India and have become interested in learning the Hindi language. Majority of the people in India use this language and it sounds nice to me. Learning the language would also help me better understand Bollywood movies.
2. The Arabic language is really delightful and I would like to learn it. I would like to learn Arabic for some reasons. It would help me communicate with my Arab clients (I have an export-import business there) and expand my business. Besides, I believe that learning a second language offers numerous other benefits including our understanding of a foreigner culture and the history associated with this language.
3. The Malay language is a special one and it has around 10 dialects in Malaysia. I have a plan to learn the language as I am planning to migrate there with my family next year. It would be helpful for me to learn the language people use there.
4. I think the Spanish language has some special charms. This language is quite different from many other languages and Spanish speakers are found all over the world. Therefore, I have a plan to learn the language from a local language club here in Mumbai.
5. My recent trip to Sri Lanka has amazed me and I am mostly in love with the language of the state. They speak in a very special way and their tone is unique. Sinhala and Tamil is the most prominent language there and I have decided to learn Tamil.
6. My husband lives in Iran for his professional needs and he wants to take me there soon. So, I need to learn the Persian language. In fact, Persian is one of the smartest and oldest languages and I need to have a good command over it.
7. I don’t know why the Japanese language attracts me so much, maybe because my ancestors are from Japan. So, I have set my mind to learn the language. Though it would be difficult for me to learn it, I will give it a try.
8. I have got a scholarship at a German university but they have asked me to learn the German language properly. It is hard to find a suitable German language club for me here in Indonesia. But definitely, I will learn the language.
9. The number of French-speaking people is on the rise and I have a plan to study in France in the future. So I think it would be better for me to know the language. I would like to learn the French language properly.
Your preparation for the cue card topic - "Describe a language you would like to learn" would help you talk about the following topics as well:
1. Describe the second language you have learned in school.
2. Talk about something you would like to do in the future.
3. Describe a skill you have.
4. Describe something you want to do if you get free time.
5. Talk about something you have always wanted to do but have not done yet.
6. Describe an activity you are involved in.
7. Describe something you have recently done.
8. Describe an unusual activity you have recently taken up.
9. Describe a language you will learn in the future.