A wedding/marriage ceremony you have attended - Cue Card # 598
- Last Updated: Monday, 05 April 2021 11:05
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 118211
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a wedding/marriage ceremony you have attended.
You should say:
- where it took place
- who was getting married
- why you attended this wedding ceremony
and explain what was special about this wedding/marriage ceremony.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
In my “not-so” long life, I have had the opportunity to attend many wedding ceremonies of many cultures and traditions, and it just makes me feel really happy when I get an opportunity to talk about them. While none of those ceremonies was any better or more special than the others, as far as I am concerned, I guess it is ok to remember some a bit more than the others. So thank you for offering me the opportunity to talk about one such special wedding ceremony.
It was the wedding ceremony of Alex, one of my best university friends, who I hadn’t seen for at least about a few years after our graduation from the university because we were living in different cities, which were far apart from each other. Besides, we were also very busy with our professional lives. So, when I received an invitation from Alex to attend his marriage, I felt really happy and excited, not only because it would allow me to witness one of the happiest days of my friend’s life, but also because I could finally meet him after a long time.
Anyway, the wedding took place at a local church in the home town of Alex, which was magnificently decorated with a great colour scheme by matching it with the bride’s wedding dress and flowers. However, the marriage ceremony was rather brief which was conducted according to the Christian religious practices. Then came the wedding reception which was rather elaborate and eventful with the couple cutting the wedding cake, wedding party mingling with drinks and snack in their hands, and brief dancing by the newly-wedded couples.
Well, it was a special wedding ceremony for me because I was made to be “the best man” on that day. Besides, I also contributed a little to the decoration ideas of the overall wedding ceremony, which was really appreciated by the guests there. The wedding was special to me also because it allowed me to meet many of my old day friends and catch up with them during a very happy event.
Sample Answer 2:
Recently my younger sister, Bella, got married and this was an extraordinary wedding ceremony in my life that I have experienced so far. I was both exhilarated and sad at the same time, and this would make me remember this ceremony for the rest of my life. I would like to thank you for the opportunity to let me talk about it.
The marriage reception took place at our home, (...mention your city and country name here...), and almost two hundred guests including many relatives, neighbours and my parents’ colleagues, were present at the ceremony.
My younger sister, Bella, who is my only sister, was getting wedded to his boyfriend- Ryan. They had a 5 years’ relationship and after they got their parents’ blessings, they decided to tie the knot. In our country, it is almost a ritual that brothers would act as one of the main hosts when their sisters get married and I had no reason to be absent from my only sister's marriage ceremony. I was a university student at that time and the ceremony was arranged during my semester break. I was looking forward to being a part of the ceremony as I wanted a memorable wedding reminiscence for my loving sister. I had to look after many aspects of this programme and I happily did everything.
This was a special wedding ceremony to me as one of my most beloved persons was starting a new phase in her life. On the one hand, it gave me immense joy that my sister was very happy to have a life partner she loved, but on the other hand, the thought of her departure from our house almost brought tears to my eyes. I cannot remember any other event so touchy for me and this was a day I will always remember.
Cue Card Topic: Describe a wedding/marriage ceremony you have attended.
1. I attended a Muslim marriage ceremony in Indonesia. In fact, the bridegroom was my colleague and we worked for an international airliner in its Jakarta wing. It was a splendid event and I loved the festival, tradition and food they served.
2. George and Samantha got married last month. I was invited to their marriage ceremony as a special guest. Actually, it was a settled marriage and I had played an important role to make it happen. I was glad to be there.
3. Alberto got married last month to his girlfriend, Isabella. The marriage took place at the Los Moriscos Golf Club. The charming location enthralled all the invited guests. I loved the entire decoration and of course, the cuisine.
4. Last month, I visited India to attend the marriage ceremony of Ashok. He is a software engineer and my coworker. We have worked on different projects together and so the bondage between us is strong. I flew to India from Sydney to attend the programme and it was a whole new experience for me.
5. Attending a wedding ceremony in Greece was quite interesting. I had the chance to enjoy such a colourful event a few months ago. In fact, one of my university friends took me to a marriage ceremony when I was in Greece for some work. The experience of attending this programme was great.
6. The marriage ceremony in Qatar is quite different from the usual European marriage events that I know about. Recently, I went to a marriage ceremony in Doha and it was quite exciting. I loved the traditions and rituals of this marriage ceremony. The food was delicious too.
7. The sudden invitation to the wedding ceremony of Robert baffled me. In fact, it was in the morning of the occasion when I came to know about it. I got ready hurriedly and rushed to the church located in the last block in Yorkshire in the evening.
8. A wedding ceremony under the open sky was a new experience for me. I had no idea that my friend will get married near a sea beach in Greece. I actually fell in love with the way the marriage took place. It was unique and quite enjoyable.
Similar other cue card topics that you should be able to answer with your preparation for this cue card topic:
1. Describe a traditional wedding ceremony you have been to.
2. Describe an event that you enjoyed a lot.
3. Describe how a traditional marriage ceremony is held in your country.
4. Describe a party or programme where you gave a speech.
5. Describe a celebration you enjoyed a lot.