IELTS Cue Card Sample 599 - Describe a museum you have visited and liked
- Last Updated: Friday, 10 November 2017 18:30
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 6070
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a museum you have visited and liked.
You should say:
- what kind of museum it was
- when you went there
- what you saw and did there
and explain why you liked this museum.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Sample Answer 1:
Recently I went to Paris and had visited the Museum of Perfume. It was an exceptional experience for me. The exhibits of the museum were perfumes from different times and categories. In fact, the idea of exhibiting perfumes and perfume bottles was a bit unusual to me. Later, I realized that it was really an important thing to consider and felt wonderful with the exhibits of the museum. This is really a nice candidate task card and I am feeling lucky having it to my share. Here are the remaining answers to other questions.
I went to the museum for the first time in the last February. The museum is located in Paris, France where I went to have business deals. I got some leisurely hours to spend after a successful meeting. Then I decided to visit any of the notable places of the city and went to this museum. This was a private museum that began the journey in 1983. The mansion where the museum is located in looks nice with its Napoleonic style.
I was attracted by the name of the museum. At first, I thought that it might any majestic perfume selling shop but later I was thrilled with the exhibitions of the museum. The building looked striking while there were collections of different ages. Luckily, I got a guided tour and came to know about the history of perfume and their brands. I went through different eras and was informed about the perfumery items of those ages.
I liked this museum as it reveals the secrets of perfume and informs the visitors about the perfume history of ages. It preserves a remarkable number of items related to perfume production and located in the centre of the city. And there is no entry fee to access this museum.
Model Answer 2:
Thank you very much for letting me talk about a museum where I have been to and appreciated my experience. In fact, whenever I visit a new city or a new country, I try to go to famous museums there to learn more about its history, culture, people and the way of life. For this cue card topic, I would like to talk about the ‘National Museum of Australia’, that I visited more than once and which is one the best museums I have ever been to.
As far as I know, this museum was established in 1980, not a long ago, and it is located in Acton, Australia. This museum preserves and interprets the social history of Australia and represents the people and events that have primarily shaped the country and it is a prominent witness of Australia's history and the past. I went to visit the museum in 1999 for the first time with my father. I was merely a teenager at that time. However, I went there with some of my friends in 2015 for the second time and the memory of my visit is still fresh.
My latest visit to the museum was a fabulous experience. I learned that this is the world's largest museum in terms of its collection of Aboriginal bark painting. It has more than 50 thousand years of indigenous heritage, and prolific collections of different events of Australian history. It is a must visiting place for anyone interested in Australian history. This museum is also famous for its publications of a wide range of books, journals and catalogues besides the innovative technology it usages that has brought an international reputation for the museum.
The location of the museum is another attraction to the visiting tourists as it is located on the Acton peninsula and it offers a great view both from the inside and outside. I was taken aback by the splendid and memorable way it has decorated its entrance, a unique design for a museum.
Anyone will find so many reasons to like this museum and I adored it specifically for its outstanding design, use of technology and unique collections. Visiting this museum was like witnessing the past and I felt like I had been time travelling to the past. I liked it so much that I would like to visit it again someday.
Cue Card Topic: Describe a museum you have visited and liked.
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (better known as the Met) is a classical place in the New York City in the USA to visit. I was amazed at the paintings and sculptures the museum has as a collection. In fact, all the artifacts were adorable.
2. My visit to the Pergamon Museum in Berlin gave me the biggest surprise of my life. The museum was filled with fantastic artifacts. I wondered at the huge Altar of Zeus. In fact, I did not have an idea about it before. The Ishtar Gate of Babylon is a gem.
3. Indian Museum in Kolkata contains some rare collections and ornaments of ancient time. it comes with six section and contains numerous scientific and cultural artifacts. The museum was founded in 1814 and still is a great attraction for many tourists and locals.
4. Canada science and technology Museum is a wonderful place to get new ideas about science and technology. The museum has exhibitions of virtual travelling, science alive and other things. It also runs some educational programs.
5. My last visit to the Acropolis Museum was awesome. The museum mostly focuses on the archaeological findings of Athens. The museum houses numerous artifacts including rocks of different ages. It was founded in 2003 and have gained a huge popularity these days.
6. The Pakistan Army Museum is a great place indeed to know about the military of the country. It is located in Rawalpindi and been in operation since 1961. The museum contains relics of Pakistan army like old uniforms, tanks, weaponry etc.
7. The Hong Kong Science Museum exhibits the wonders of science. This is a thematic museum in Kowloon in Hong Kong. It exhibits areas for children, driving simulation, video flight etc. The museum houses around 500 exhibits.
8. The Museum of Islamic Art is located in Doha, Qatar. This is a magnificent place where some old Islamic manuscripts are exhibited. The ceramic and metal works are impressive. Besides, the musical events are adorable.
9. My recent visit to the State Russian Museum was exceptional. It was established in 1895. The collections of the museum were taken from some other museums but the prevalence of private collections is more there.
If you can talk about this cue card topic, you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Describe your favourite museum.
2. Describe a museum in your city/country.
3. Describe a museum or art gallery that you want to visit.
4. Describe a museum or art gallery which does not have an entry fee.
5. Describe a place you would like to visit again.
6. Describe a worth visiting place in your city.
7. Describe a place you went with your friends.
8. Describe a place you would recommend to a foreign tourist to visit.
9. Describe a famous museum or gallery you have visited.
10. Describe a public place in your city.