Describe a museum you have visited and liked - Cue Card # 599
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 09 March 2021 14:55
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 58665
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a museum you have visited and liked.
You should say:
- what kind of museum it was
- when you went there
- what you saw and did there
and explain why you liked this museum.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Some people might argue otherwise, but I would certainly like to suggest that no trip to Toronto is complete without visiting the “Royal Ontario Museum” because it happens to be the largest museum of art, world culture and natural history of Canada. The museum attracts more than one million visitors every year from all over the world, making it the most visited museum in the country.
When I visited the museum about a few years ago, I felt like I was looking at a “luminous beacon” (or a lighthouse), made of steel structure with aluminium cladding and prismatic forms of glasses, from outside as if it wants to make a bold statement to its visitors. But, what I saw, after entering the amazing looking museum complex, was what just blew away my mind because it was so huge inside with so many things to see, I would actually need the entire day, if not longer, to be able to see only a fraction of it.
So, I chose to use my common sense instead and decided to see only those exhibitions which were generally popular among the common visitors. Included among those exhibitions are a “granite bust of Cleopatra” (an image of ancient Egyptian goddess), the magnificent “Paradise of Maitreya”, a mural that once adorned the wall of a Chinese Buddhist monastery, back in the days of Khubilai Khan and Marco Polo, and the bat cave (presenting bats in a simulated natural habitat to show how bats use echolocation to navigate at night). Then, I also saw a lot of dinosaurs fossils and skeletons, some of which were even real and original bones, among many other collections.
Anyway, I really liked visiting this museum because it allowed me to wander around without any bar or restriction. Of course, the layout was also great, exhibits were all well designed and interactive, and the information was easily absorbed. In fact, I would dare suggest that there were definitely something for everybody to see and enjoy. Finally, the exhibitions were great overall and they all came at a fair price.
Sample Answer 2:
I went to Paris a few months ago and visited the Museum of Perfume, and that was a unique experience for me. The exhibits of the museum were perfumes from different eras, regions and categories. In fact, the idea of exhibiting perfumes and perfume bottles was a bit unusual to me. It was a fabulous experience, and I felt wonderful with the displays of the museum. This is a nice candidate task card topic and I am feeling lucky to have it in my share.
I went to this museum last February. The museum is located in Paris where I went to close a business deal. I got some leisurely hours to spend after a successful business meeting. So I decided to visit any of the notable places in the city and went to this museum after doing some online research. I learned that it was a private museum that began its journey in 1983. The mansion where the museum is located looks exquisite with its Napoleonic style. I instantly liked it.
Aside from the fact that the structure and design of the museum looked strikingly beautiful, the perfume collections of different ages, countries and kinds were something worth enjoying. Luckily, I got a guided tour and came to know about the history of different perfumes, their ingredients, and how they evolved. Most of the information was unknown to me, and I enjoyed what I learned.
I liked this museum as it revealed many secrets of perfumes and informed the visitors about the history of perfumes of different ages. It preserves a remarkable number of items related to perfume production and displays hundreds of perfumes. The whole idea that a museum could be dedicated to perfumes was something unique to me and that's why I enjoyed such a great and unprecedented experience.
Model Answer 3:
Thank you very much for letting me talk about a museum where I have been to and relished my experience. In fact, whenever I visit a new city or a new country, I try to go to famous museums there to learn more about its history, culture, people and the way of life. For this cue card topic, I would like to talk about the "National Museum of Australia", which I visited more than once and which is one of the best museums I have ever been to.
As far as I know, this museum was established in 1980, not a long ago, and it is located in Acton, Australia. This museum preserves and interprets the social history of Australia and represents the people and events that have primarily shaped the country. It is a prominent witness of Australia's history. I went to visit the museum in 2001 for the first time with my father. I was merely a teenager at that time. However, I went there with some of my friends in 2018 for the second time and the memory of my visit is still fresh.
My latest visit to the museum was a fabulous experience. I learned that this is the world's largest museum in terms of its collection of Aboriginal bark painting. It has more than 50 thousand years of indigenous heritage and prolific collections of different events of Australian history. It is a must visiting place for anyone interested in Australian history. This museum is also famous for its publications of a wide range of books, journals and catalogues besides the innovative technology it usages that have brought an international reputation for the museum.
The location of the museum is another attraction to the visiting tourists as it is situated on the Acton peninsula, and it offers a great view both from the inside and outside. I was taken aback by the splendid and memorable way it had decorated its entrance, a unique design for a museum.
Anyone will find so many reasons to like this museum and I adored it specifically for its outstanding design, use of technology and unique collections. Visiting this museum was like witnessing the past and I felt like I had been time travelling to the past. I liked it so much that I would like to visit it again someday.
Cue Card Topic: Describe a museum you have visited and liked.
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, better known as the 'Met', is a classical place in New York City in the USA to visit. I was amazed by the stunning paintings and sculptures that the museum displayed for visitors. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
2. My visit to the Pergamon Museum in Berlin gave me the biggest surprise of my life. The museum was filled with fantastic artefacts. I wondered at the huge Altar of Zeus. In fact, I did not have any idea about it before. Finally, the Ishtar Gate of Babylon was a gem to discover.
3. Indian Museum in Kolkata contains some rare collections and ornaments of ancient time. It comes with six sections and contains numerous scientific and cultural artefacts. The museum was founded in 1814 and it is still a great attraction for many tourists and locals.
4. Canada Science and Technology Museum is a wonderful place to get new ideas about science and technology. The museum has exhibitions of virtual travelling, science and so on. It also runs some educational programmes.
5. My last visit to the Acropolis Museum was awesome. The museum mostly focuses on the archaeological findings of Athens. The museum houses numerous artefacts including rocks of different ages. It was founded in 2003 and it has gained huge popularity these days.
6. The Army Museum in my country is a great place indeed to know about the military of the country. It is located in the capital city in our country and has been in operation since 1961. The museum contains relics of the Army like old uniforms, tanks, weaponry etc.
7. The Hong Kong Science Museum exhibits the wonders of science. This is a thematic museum in Kowloon in Hong Kong. It exhibits areas for children, driving simulation, video flight etc. The museum houses around 500 exhibits.
8. The Museum of Islamic Art is located in Doha, Qatar, and it is a magnificent place where some old Islamic manuscripts are exhibited. The ceramic and metal works are impressive. Besides, the musical events of this museum are adorable.
9. My recent visit to the State Russian Museum was exceptional. It was established in 1895. The collections of the museum were taken from some other museums but the prevalence of private collections is more there.
If you can talk about this cue card topic, you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Describe your favourite museum.
2. Describe a museum in your city/country.
3. Describe a museum or art gallery that you want to visit.
4. Describe a museum or art gallery which does not have an entry fee.
5. Describe a place you would like to visit again.
6. Describe a worth visiting place in your city.
7. Describe a place you went to with your friends.
8. Describe a place you would recommend to a foreign tourist to visit.
9. Describe a famous museum or gallery you have visited.
10. Describe a public place in your city.