IELTS Cue Card Sample 601 - Something you borrowed from your friend or family
- Last Updated: Friday, 10 November 2017 18:52
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 3112
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe something you borrowed from your friend or family.
You should say:
- what you borrowed
- when you borrowed it
- whom you borrowed it from
and explain why you borrowed it.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I would like to thank you for the opportunity to let me talk about something I once borrowed. To be honest, I can recall many such events when I had to turn to a friend or family member for something I required. However, for this cue card topic, I will talk about an event when I had to borrow two thousand dollars from my father.
Just after finishing my college, I along with two other friends planned to start a small business. It would be 2015, I guess, and I was convinced to be part of this business and borrowed the money from my father. Besides my university, I got serious about our new venture and I had been able to return the money within a year that I took from my father as a loan. When I returned the money to my father, he seemed surprised and I explained to him how our interior design house is flourishing day by day. He told me that he was quite astonished that our little venture eventually saw the light of success.
I thanked him for the money and explained how we worked together to make it a success. I also showed my gratitude and mentioned that without his money, I could not have been a part of this business.
In numerous times, I borrowed books, laptops, music player, money, CDs and so on from my friends and relatives but the two thousand dollars I took from my father was something quite different and I am lucky that I decided to borrow it from my father for a good reason.
Sample Answer 2:
I had to borrow a book on history from one of my friends in the university. I am a student at the undergraduate level and been studying different courses in this semester while the History of Ancient Civilizations was one of them. This is a popular course at our university, Can Tho University in Vietnam. I needed the book as I lost mine and needed to get some necessary information. This is a great cue card task for me and I am happy with the questions. Here are the remaining answers.
I borrowed the book, titled “History and Its Past” from Hien Long. He is my best friend at the university and lives near my residence. He is really a supportive boy and had lent me the book though he needed the book for the same purpose. I was happy to have the book and Long also was delighted that he could have helped me in my needs.
I need the book urgently to get some information to prepare an assignment that was to be submitted in the next day. But unluckily, I lost my book. And I do not how it was lost. If I fail to submit the assignment, it might be difficult for me to pass the course. It was an easy assignment and took only around half an hour for me to complete.
It was really necessary for me to have the book. And I could not go out in the night for some reason. So, I sought help to Long as he lived near me. I asked him to lend me the book and I will return the book immediately after the assignment was done. He was supportive enough and came my home with the book. And then I completed the assignment. I thanked him heartily.
Cue Card Topic: Describe something you borrowed from your friend or family.
1. Before going to the office yesterday, I needed to have some change to pay the bus fare. But I could not manage and lent some change from my mom. In fact, it is hard to get a change of a large banknote in New Delhi.
2. I was supposed to join the birthday party of my niece and she lives in the last building of my block here in Paris. I could not find my necktie and so borrowed that from dad.
3. Usually, I do not borrow something but had to do so last week. During a tutorial exam in my university, Free University of Berlin, I borrowed a pen. Actually, my pen ran out of ink and I did not have another one to complete the exam.
4. Smokers have rules worldwide. They do not hesitate to exchange cigarettes. I had borrowed a cigarette from a friend cum colleague yesterday. I am an IT professional in Cordova, Spain and actually forgot to buy my cigarettes that day.
5. My phone went out of battery a few days ago. I had to make an emergency phone call. So, I borrowed my dad’s phone. Putting my phone in charge, I lent the phone and had met the emergency.
6. I love to play badminton and this is a popular sport in Japan. I had to borrow a badminton from a friend of mine as I broke mine. It was a sad event for me because that was my favourite sporting tool.
7. Nicholas lent me his paint sprayer because I needed that to paint my kitchen. I have recently rented a small apartment in Leeds and it is located on the roof of a residential complex. Cleaning the rooms and spraying paint was the worst task I did then.
8. During the last semester, I had a presentation. I borrowed a formal suit from Robin, my best friend. In fact, we all were told to wear formal attires on that day and mine was left at home in New York. So, I needed to borrow one for the presentation.
Your preparation for this cue card topic would help you talk about the following topics as well:
1. Describe something you borrowed that was useful to you.
2. Describe an item you borrowed from one of your neighbours.
3. Describe a gift that one of your family members gave you.
4. Describe a situation when someone you know helped you.
5. Describe an item you do not have but you would like to have.
6. Describe a time when you rented or hired an item from the market.
7. Describe something you own but do not use much.