IELTS Cue Card Sample 604 - Time when you had to take care of a baby
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 24 September 2019 14:55
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 9470
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a time when you had to take care of a baby.
You should say:
- when it was
- who the baby was
- what you did
and explain how you felt about taking care of this baby.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I love babies; I like to hug them, play with them, carry them as well as spoil them. But, when it comes to taking care of a baby, I never thought that I could ever pull it off. But, that’s exactly what I did about a year ago when my aunt left her “bundle of joy” (my baby “cousin”) for me to take care of because she needed to go out for a few hours.
Anyway, I knew that I needed to be “extra” careful in making sure that he wasn’t crying. And, to do so, I was holding and carrying him very gently. Of course, this is what my aunt instructed me in order to make him fall asleep. But the problem was I wasn’t succeeding. So, I took him in front of a TV and make him watch some cartoons even though I wasn’t too sure that he was “old” enough to enjoy cartoons! Anyway, this far, he was behaving like a “good” boy. But, then came the real challenge when he started to cry, but all I could do at that time was to try to “talk” to him with some “funny” faces in order to distract him. But, unfortunately, I wasn’t making much of an impression on my baby cousin so that he could actually stop crying. Then I suddenly remembered that he was probably hungry, and he needed his baby “feeder”, and as soon as I gave him his “feeder”, he got busy in “nourishing” himself from it until he fell asleep. Fortunately, he slept until my aunt returned.
Anyway, initially, I was a bit nervous about taking care of my “baby cousin”, but as time progressed, I actually started to enjoy the “responsibility”. In fact, it was really interesting to see how that little “wonder baby” tried to “communicate” with me with some “funny sounds” from time to time except, of course, the problem was that this “poor” cousin could not understand what I told him! Besides, I also felt good that I could actually help my aunt when nobody was around to help her.
Model Answer 2:
Model Answer 3:
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a time when you had to take care of a baby.
1. Recently, I went to Munich to meet my maternal uncle and aunt who both are doctors. Suddenly, they had to go to their office and that's why they asked me to take care of the baby boy who was two years old at that time. I looked after the baby and it was a fabulous and new experience for me. I never knew I would love spending time with a baby so much!
2. I went to a party with my mom and had to look after a baby. In fact, she was a cute little girl and her mother was the host and went to greet other guests. So, she asked me to take care of the baby for a few minutes. It was an interesting experience.
3. Taking care of babies is hard and I realized it when my neighbour, Mr Robin, asked me to look after his baby for half an hour. We live in the same apartment block in Sydney. He went to do some grocery shopping and I had a difficult time to fulfil the continuous demands of the baby. I was tired by the time his father returned and rescued me!
4. My maternal uncle came to visit our house last summer with his family and my mom asked me to look after their baby of five years old. It was a nice event indeed. The baby was decent and loved reading books. He was quite smart and I liked spending time with him.
5. Meeting with Evan was an interesting experience. He is three years old and lives in the opposite house of mine. His parents came to visit us and I was told to take care of the baby. We both had a great time together and I did things for him that I would normally avoid with anyone else. That day I realised how we become children when we are surrounded by them!
6. Aunt Sally was terribly busy on Christmas day last year. So, she asked me to take care of her baby girl while she prepared dinner for the whole family. I was a paying guest at her home in Spain. And taking care of the baby was great fun for me. The baby was cute and amiable and she listened to my instructions and I enjoyed being with her.
7. Last week, I went to meet my sister and she requested me to accompany her baby in her absence. She planned to go shopping with her friends. Since I had spare time, I looked after her baby boy. It was a great experience and we both had a pleasant time together. We watched an animated movie and prepared a meal all by ourselves.
8. In my office, one of my colleagues brought her baby one day. Though I am not much fond of babies, she asked me to look after the baby for a while so that she could finish her presentation with the boss. I did accordingly and I must confess it was not as bad an experience as I always thought it would be!
If you can talk about the cue card topic "Describe a time when you had to take care of a baby.", you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Talk about a time when a baby stayed with you.
2. Describe a guest who stayed at your house.
3. Describe a time when you had to offer a favour to a friend.
4. Describe a time when you looked after someone other than your friend or family.
5. Describe something unusual you did recently.