IELTS Cue Card Sample 604 - Time when you had to take care of a baby
- Last Updated: Monday, 13 November 2017 14:02
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 1786
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a time when you had to take care of a baby.
You should say:
- when it was
- who was the baby
- what you did
and explain how you felt about taking care of this baby.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I am one of those who loves babies but does not know how to take care of them. This cue card topic reminds me of a time when taking care of my nephew came on my shoulder. I would like to thank you for this opportunity to let me talk about my experience of looking after this baby.
It would be around six months ago when I had to stay home the whole day with my nephew, Ethan, who was merely 3 years old. Usually, my nephew is very adorable and gentle in nature but when he cries out loud, I find it hard to do anything to console him and bring him back to his normal jolly state. When Ethan's parents are around and he begins to cry, I keep my distance as my previous experience taught me that, anything I tried to do, made thing worse!
Ethan's parents had to go out for a long one day and there was none except me to look after the baby. Ethan was a good boy most of the day and he caused me no trouble which I was afraid of. I fed him twice the food his mom prepared for him, changed his diaper and dresses, caressed him, tried to make him happy by acting and making different sounds and was very cautious to make sure he was comfortable. He slept for a couple of hours and at that time I was beside him and read a book.
At first, I was intimidated because I did not want to take full responsibility for the baby while his parents would be away. However, as time passed, I started feeling confident that he would be okay with me and at a time I started feeling happy to be with him. That day I realised that looking after a baby is not as frightening as I thought it would be but it takes a great deal of effort to make sure the baby is okay.
I actually enjoyed being with Ethan and the way he played, laughed and hugged me was something totally new to me.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a time when you had to take care of a baby.
1. Recently, I went to Munich to meet my maternal uncle and aunt. Suddenly, they had to go to meet an emergency at their office and asked me to take care of the baby boy of one-year-old. I looked after the baby and it was a great and new experience for me.
2. I went to a party with my mom and had to look after a baby. In fact, it was a small cute girl and her mother was the host and went to meet with other guests. So, she asked me to take care of the baby for few minutes. It was an interesting experience.
3. Taking care of babies is hard and I realized it when my neighbour, Mr Robin, asked me to look after his baby for half an hour. We live in the same apartment block in Sydney. He went to groceries and I had a difficult time to fulfil continuous demands of the baby.
4. My maternal uncle came to visit us with his family and my mom asked to look after the baby of five years old. It was a nice event indeed. The baby was decent and loved reading books so smart. He was quite smart and I liked spending time with him.
5. Meeting with Evan was an interesting experience. He is three years old and lives in the opposite house of mine. His parents came to visit us and I was told to take care of the baby. We grew a nice friendship indeed.
6. Aunt Sally was too busy on the Christmas day last year. So, she asked me to take care of her baby while she prepared the dinner for the family member. I was a paying guest at her home in Spain. And taking care of the baby was a great fun for me.
7. Last week, I went to meet my sister and she requested me to accompany her baby in her absence. She was going for a shopping with her friends. Since I had spare moments, I looked after her baby boy.
8. In my office, one of my colleagues had brought her baby. Though I am not fond of babies, she asked me to look after the baby for a while so that she could finish her presentation with the boss. I did accordingly and I must confess it was not a bad experience as I always thought it would be.