IELTS Cue Card Sample 547 - Describe a company that employs many employees in your hometown
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 05 May 2020 01:18
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 36886
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a company that employs many employees in your hometown.
You should say:
- what type of company it is
- how many people work there
- what type of qualification they require
and explain whether you would be interested to work there or not.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
The town, in which I live, is not exactly a big one where many industries or businesses, be them big or small, are to be found. Therefore, it is going to be a challenge for me to find a company that really employs “many” (depending on how one chooses to define “many” though) people. So, what I am going to do here is to talk about a company which employs the highest number of people of all the companies we have in our town.
The company, I am talking about here, is a Textile Manufacturing Company. This textile industry is primarily concerned with the production of yarn, and cloth, as well as the subsequent design or manufacturing of clothing and their distribution. The raw materials, used in the company can be natural or synthetic, depending on the demands and requirements of the customers.
Even though the company initially started to manufacture and operate on a small scale with a rather limited number of staffs, its operation grew rapidly because of the high demands for its finished products. Today, with more than 20 different kinds of machines, known as woollen mill machines, thread winding machines, Bleaching/Dyeing Machines, Scutching Machines, Carding Machines, Spinning Machines and Yarn Gassing Machines, this textile company employs about at least a couple of hundreds of employees. Both male and female staffs work for this company, and they certainly do a great job to contribute to the local economy of my home town. By the way, most workers at this company are mostly unskilled or semi-skilled, and therefore, they are not really that qualified other than having a high school diploma.
Anyway, even though, I am happy for the fact that this textile company is in my hometown, I wouldn’t really work there because neither I have any knowledge about this industry nor I am interested in this kind of working environment. Besides, the jobs at this company don’t really pay well, and given how much I earn at my current job, I don’t really think that I would be interested to work here at this time.
Sample Answer 2:
Thank you for this opportunity to let me talk about a company in my hometown that employs a sizeable number of people from the locality. This is a chair manufacturing company and it has been manufacturing chairs for a long time in Greece. The company employs a good number of local people from the city to manufacture various types of chairs and other accessories to decorate chairs and tables in my hometown. This is a smart cue card topic and I am really happy to have this.
Around 900 people work here and most of them are workers. In fact, the job of manufacturing chair involves a huge number of hands to complete the process. Almost all the people of this locality are involved in producing chairs and they work around the day in the company factory. The majority of the people belong to the working class while some of them are working as high officials in the company. Actually, the area I live in is densely populated and most of the people are not that much educated. As a result, they are unable to manage a higher job for them.
High school graduation is a must to get a job with this company and with higher education, anyone can apply for some other positions than that of the worker. But if someone can show some extraordinary skills, educational barriers are relaxed for them. The authority employs them without a second thought and considers them as the asset for the company. The salary offered by this company is also higher and everyone working here is pleased.
I would be interested to work here if I get a chance. Actually, all the works are equal and contribute to building society. So, I do consider the job of a chair company worker is respectable. Moreover, the benefits of this company are also attractive and everyone loves their job here. I am currently doing my bachelor degree in Business Administration and would love to get a relevant administrative job in this company.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a company which employs many employees in your hometown.
1. This is a renowned car manufacturing company based in Nuremberg in Germany. The company employs a good number of employees and at present- around 150 employees work there. The employees need to be moderately educated. They need the minimum qualification for getting recruited. If I get the scope of working with the company, certainly I will work there. The packages are highly lucrative for the employees.
2. T-mobile is a large mobile phone device manufacturer based in New York. This is a large company and employs around 300 people in its plant. All the staffs need to be highly educated as they deal with sophisticated mobile accessories, equipment and technologies. I am unwilling to get a job there for some reasons. The most important thing is that the work in the factory is complicated. The staffs inside the factory need to work with sophisticated tools to make or repair the mobile phones. And I am unable to do those.
3. National Australia Bank is a bank in Australia. It employs a notable number of people in its branches across the country. Now over 500 people are working there. Getting a job in this bank requires a higher degree. Completing a university degree is the minimum qualification for a job in this bank. Certainly, I am interested to get a job in this bank. The jobs are filled with responsibilities and rewards are outstanding.
4. Singtel is a communication company based in Singapore. This is one of the largest telecommunication company in the Asian region. The company employs a substantial number of personnel to run its daily activities. A bachelor degree is a must to get a job here. I would like to serve here if I can have the chance. The company has a wide pool of responsibilities and I have the option to get one after my qualification.
5. In Russia, Inter RAO is a power engineering company. This is one of the largest companies in the country and employs thousands of people. The company is based in Moscow and has its branches across the country. An engineering degree is a must to get a job in this company. The rewards for the employees here also smart. Despite my interest to get a job here, I would not be allowed because I do not have the degree needed to get a job here.