IELTS Cue Card Sample 560 - Describe a crowded place you have visited in your country
- Last Updated: Saturday, 13 June 2020 14:51
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 35485
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a crowded place you have visited in your country.
You should say:
- where it is
- when you went there
- with whom you went there
and explain how you felt about being there.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
No matter how much we dislike going to crowded places, the necessity of life actually compels us to do so. And it was out of this very necessity of life, I also had to visit one crowded place – I mean, really crowded – and today, I would like to share that story with you.
This crowded place was one of the most popular shopping malls in my country. Being located in one of the most populous metropolia of my country, it naturally attracts a huge number of people from the city itself on a regular basis. However, it becomes even more crowded when a very significant number of people flock into this place from other cities nearby, especially, during the weekend.
And it was during a weekend when I visited this place with a couple of friends in order to buy a special birthday gift for a very close friend of ours. By the way, we had already visited a few other shopping places to buy a perfect gift for our friend, but unfortunately, we couldn’t really find anything of our liking and hence visiting the crowded shopping mall.
Anyway, after arriving at the shopping mall, we noticed that all the entrances were packed with visitors, so we literally had to push people to make our way into the mall. There were so many shops in the mall, and yet, they all were filled with hundreds of customers to buy their merchandises at once as if the products were going out of style. Besides, the noise was so deafening there that we (me and my friends) actually had shouted at each other to communicate even though, we were probably only a couple of feet away from each other.
Anyway, after visiting that crowded place, my first impression was that I wanted to get out of it as soon as possible. I was also under the impression that some people visited that crowded place just to spend some of their lazy times, which shouldn’t have happened. However, I also felt happy and relieved, knowing that we at least found what we were looking to buy for our birthday boy.
Sample Answer 2:
The Chinatown is located in Manhattan in New York. This is one of the most crowded places in the country and a good number of people visit there. This is mostly a neighbourhood in Manhattan and surrounded by some other residential and commercial areas. This is also the home of Chinese people living in New York. It appears as a nice candidate task card for me. I will talk about this place in a brief.
I visited this place a couple of months ago. I went there to meet one of my Chinese mates and greet her on her birthday. She studies marketing with us at university. It was difficult for me to seek out the location at the beginning. The entire area was crowded with lots of people and the majority of them were Chinese. They were speaking in their own language while some of them were speaking English as well. The shops and the sellers were interesting.
I went there with Jim, Silvia, Blake, David, and Rocky. In fact, we were invited to the birthday party of our Chinese friend Chunhua. She invited us to attend the party and after her demands, we went there. It was a trouble to find out the location. All the places appeared similar to us and getting the right holding was extremely difficult for us. But finally, we reached Chunhua’s place. It was a nice evening.
The feelings were mixed. In fact, it was the very first visit to any Chinese home. So, I could not think of what to do or how to respond. Besides, travelling to the crowded place was another exciting event. I have not seen such a crowd before. People were everywhere and all of them were Chinese. At first, I was a bit anxious but gradually everything turned normal.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe the most polite person you have come across in your life.
1. I went to visit the centre of London a few days ago and found the entire area was crowded with hundreds of people. I went there in the morning hour. Everyone was busy to reach their offices and other respective works. I went there alone. Actually, it was a day off for me and I wanted to check the city’s scenario in the rush hour. Honestly, I felt sad. Everyone was rushing to their job places. They did not have a single minute to stop and talk with each other.
2. Millennium Park is one of the most crowded places in Chicago. I went there for a walk. And I went there in the evening. One of my college friends accompanied me on the walk. In fact, we together planned to walk in the park and discuss the upcoming exam. I felt enjoyable during the walk. Actually, this is a nice gathering place. People of all ages were there and were making fun.
3. Elizabeth Bay is a crowded place in Greater Sydney. I went there in the late afternoon. My girlfriend, Shelly, accompanied me there. Actually, I had a plan to enjoy the sunset scene. But I could not imagine that there would be so many people at that time. But I felt good. And the evening was enjoyable. I could not like the excessive noise and it seemed everyone else was enjoying the noise. However, it was a nice experience.
4. My recent visit to a temple in Jaffna in Sri Lanka was interesting. I went there to meet a friend. I went in the early morning and found lots of people were rushing to the temple to complete their religious activities. The large crowd reminded me of God. All of them were there to seek the blessing from God so that they could have a happy life.
5. Petronas Tower is a crowded place. This is an iconic skyscraper in Malaysia and a landmark for the country too. I went there in the evening. One of my younger cousins accompanied me there. I was amazed at the view. People around the world come here every day. They get their pictures keeping the tower behind them. In fact, the entire area becomes lively for the crowd and it remains until midnight.
6. Tokyo Station is a crowded place in Japan. I went there to get some information to use in my report. I went their alone. In fact, it was an official assignment for me. So, I went in the early morning and tried to get the necessary information. It was an interesting experience for me. I saw people were moving to their destinations using the rides. They were amid the rush. Life was buzzing there. I would not have gained such an interesting experience if I did not go there.
Your preparation for this cue card topic would help you talk about the following cue card topics as well:
1. Describe a place you have recently been to.
2. Describe a place you visited and did not like.
3. Describe a place where a lot of people gather.
4. Describe a crowded place you know about.
5. Describe a place you have been to which was full of noise.
6. Describe a place you have recently visited and was disappointed about it.
7. Describe a part of the city which has changed greatly.