IELTS Cue Card Sample 570 - Describe a place where you lived for a short period of time
- Last Updated: Monday, 27 November 2017 14:38
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 2120
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a place where you lived for a short period of time.
You should say:
- where it was
- who you lived with there
- how long you lived there
and explain how you felt about living there only for a short period.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Thank you very much for the opportunity to let me talk about a place where I lived only for a while. During my study in Germany, I had to stay in Munich for about five months. In fact, I was unable to stay the entire course period of my post-graduation. I was troubled with some familial issues and considering the facts, the university authority allowed me to attend online classes and lectures. This is a great cue card topic for me and I will describe the matter in brief now.
I got the chance as a scholarship-granted student at the Munich Academy but could not attend the first and second quarter. So, I went Munich from Malaysia and stayed with a native family to pass the remaining days. It was not possible for me to arrange for a seat in the university dormitory. So, I had to accommodate myself at the residence of a German whom I met online. He had a very nice family and every one of them cooperated me to complete the course.
I lived there less than six months. And the entire time I was with the German family. It was a different experience for me to stay out of the home and with some completely unknown people. But it enriched my level of experience and I did get some unexpected support from them. I tried to help the family members as well and often cleaned the garden before their residence. I also used to help the kids of the family in learning some practical issues too.
I really felt pathetic when I left the home and returned Malaysia. In fact, I turned a member of their family. They loved and cared for me much. Even they did not take any money from me in exchange for my living there though I wished to pay them. So, it became the greatest kindness to me. However, I really miss the family.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a place where you lived for a short period of time.
1. It was near the regent park in London where I stayed for a short time. I went to visit my uncle and aunt. I lived there for around a week and spent a pleasant time with them. In fact, it was my first visit to London and they took me to different places to visit. It was a wonderful experience for me. And I wish I could live there for a long time!
2. I went to Seattle in the USA to spend some times with my relatives. My elder sister lives there with her family. They invited me to spend the summer vacation with them. So, I flew from Ireland to the USA. I lived around one month there. We moved into different places and enjoyed the vacation. It was a nice experience for me and them.
3. Berlin is a wonderful city and I had the opportunity to spend some time there with a friend of mine. I lived there with my friend’s family. And I had spent over 15 days there. It was an exciting stay and we had fun together. I have visited the most visiting places in the city. I loved the foods as well. I could have enjoyed more if I could extend my visa.
4. Mumbai is a nice place to visit. I went Mumbai in last month for making a documentary and stayed in a hotel there. I lived for around 20 days in the place. During the shooting of the documentary, I have gained many interesting experiences of my life. I came in touch with some exceptional people and they helped me greatly with all types of support. Moving along the Mumbai streets was enjoyable indeed.
5. I went to Malaysia for some business purpose. I had no one familiar there. So, I stayed in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur. I have spent a very short time – only a week. In this time, I had to attend nine meetings and also had to visit some factories. So, I could not manage much time to spend there. But I enjoyed the traditional foods and drinks. I also had some shopping for my family members in Germany.
6. My last visit in Egypt was highly a remarkable experience in my life. I stayed at the university dormitory that invited me to conduct a research work. I had to stay for over two months in the country. By this time, I went to many archaeological sites and wondered about their construction styles and durability. I also came to know about many other important issues about the establishments of Egypt. In a word, I enjoyed the stay in the country.
Similar other cue card topics that you should be able to answer with your preparation for this cue card topic:
1. Describe the place where you currently live in.
2. Describe a house or an apartment where you live or live once.
3. Describe a house where someone you know lives in.
4. Describe your favourite place.
5. Describe a beautiful place you know about.
6. Describe a beautiful place you have been to.