IELTS Cue Card Sample 571 - Describe an appointment with a friend that you totally forgot.
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 02 June 2020 13:57
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 18131
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an appointment with a friend that you totally forgot.
You should say:
- when it was
- who you were supposed to meet
- what you did afterwards
and explain how you convinced this friend later.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you're going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
I am usually prompt and proactive when it comes to keeping appointments whether these appointments are with family/friends or complete strangers. But, then I am also a human, and I do forget to keep my appointments once in a while. Today, I would like to talk about one such appointment which I had with one of my friends but then completely forgot.
It was about six months ago when my good friend had asked me to take him to the airport in my car and pick up his uncle at around 6:00 pm. Seeing that both my friend and the airport were within a short distance from my office, I didn’t have a reason for not helping out my friend on that Monday evening. So, as soon as my good friend asked that little favour from me, I immediately agreed.
But, before promising my friend to help him pick up his uncle, I totally forgot that Monday was always the busiest day at my office since it is the first day in the office after the weekend. So, I kept working and working on that day until I suddenly noticed on my watch that it was already 5:30 pm, and I couldn’t even finish 70 per cent of my scheduled tasks for the day. Of course, I still had 30 minutes left to keep my appointment, but then I thought that it wouldn’t be such a wise idea since there always was a risk of getting stuck in bad traffic and miss the appointment. So, I immediately called my friend and explained to him the situation while also providing him with a phone number to call a taxi driver who lived closed to my friend.
Anyway, it was equally a frustrating and awkward situation for both of us. I could even feel some anger, and very rightly so, in my friend, but when I explained to him about a very busy Monday office day, and how I completely forgot about it before making that appointment with him, he finally got convinced that I wasn’t being careless at all and that I genuinely wanted to help him.
Sample Answer 2:
I made a mistake by forgetting an appointment with a friend of mine, Chin Chun, due to my family engagement. It was an embarrassing matter for me. Every year, the Chinese people celebrate the Hungry Ghost Festival and it has been going on for thousands of years. In fact, this has become one of the most important festivals across the country to drive away or satisfy the ghost and spirits of the ancestors. I was supposed to meet this friend to take part in the festival together. This is a great cue card topic and I would like to thank you for the opportunity to let me talk about it.
I was supposed to meet with Chin Chun at her home in the evening of the last day of July and it was planned earlier that we two would go for a shopping to get some necessary stuff to celebrate the festival that was held in last month, August. But unfortunately, I was highly busy with maintaining my own family arrangement for the festival. And thus I unintentionally forgot about the appointment.
I was too busy to pick up her phone call. So, when I managed everything, I called her back and was ready to listen to some advice. She was angry with me and told that she would not go shopping with me. I knew she was lying to me. And I told her that I had to do everything on my own this year as my mom was sick.
It was difficult for me to convince her. Actually, Chin Chun is introvert and I am the only friend she trusts. So, I proposed her to buy a present for her marking the occasion. At first, she did not accept my idea but as I insisted, she agreed with me. I had bought some attractive incenses for her to be used in the ghost festival. She was happy indeed.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe an appointment with a friend that you totally forgot.
1. I was supposed to meet Harry on Monday last but forgot owing huge work pressure in my office. We were supposed to meet at a shopping mall in the centre of Birmingham in England. Later, I meet him at his home though it was too late. Moreover, it was hard to convince him. He wanted some suggestions about proposing the lady he was in love with. And so, he wanted to meet me that day.
2. My appointment with Robert made me feel sad because I completely forgot about that. I went on a family trip in the outskirts of California and forgot to meet Robert on last Friday morning. I made a phone call and told him that I forgot and it would take time for me to return. He waited for me patiently and then we had the necessary discussion in the evening.
3. Emilia is my best friend and we were supposed to meet to discuss some university issues at a coffee shop in Munich. The meeting was set in the evening. But I totally forgot about the appointment as a few guests arrive at my home. I made a phone call to her immediately and informed that I would be late. It was tough to deal with the situations as the entire fault was mine. I could have informed her about the matter. So, did not talk with me for three days.
4. Samantha waited for me till 11 am in the college located in Vancouver. We made a plan on the previous day to make a plan for the upcoming lit-fest in the college. But I forgot to meet her due to assignment completion. Later, I informed her that I would be at the college by noon. I took a piece of large chocolate to convince her. She got agitated on me and finally, she was cool.
5. I was supposed to meet Tanaka at my university premise in Beijing. But I forgot to meet the appointment. Actually, I attended a late-night party and forgot about the appointment. By the time, my cell phone was out of battery. So, Tanaka could not reach me. Later, I made a phone call to him and described everything in detail. It was not hard for me to convince him of my mistake.
6. Last Sunday, I was supposed to meet with Camellia. In fact, we had a schedule to go for a movie. But I could not make it happen as I forgot about the schedule. I am a journalist here in New Zealand and work for a daily newspaper. So, I cannot manage my social life and even work on holidays. So, when I received her phone call, I apologized. I rushed to the theatre hall but could not enjoy the movie as it almost ended. So, we took a coffee and planned for another day.
Your preparation for the cue card topic - "Describe an appointment with a friend you totally forgot." would help you to talk about the following topics as well:
1. Describe a time when you forgot something important.
2. Describe a schedule you missed and regretted it.
3. Describe a time when you could not keep a promise you made.
4. Describe a time when you were late for something.
5. Describe a situation when you made someone wait for you.