Cue Card 589 - Describe an art and craft activity you did at school
- Last Updated: Monday, 24 August 2020 18:55
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 56993
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe an art and craft activity you did at school.
You should say:
- what it was
- what you did for this activity
- who you did it with
and explain how you felt about this activity.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
As a young schoolboy, I used to like a lot of things about my elementary school, such as playing with friends in the school playground and sharing tiffin with them. However, there was another thing, that I really liked about my elementary school, was the periodic art and craft activities. Today, I would like to describe one such activity that I did as a young elementary school student.
This particular art and craft activity involved “making picture album” with cardboard. Of course, in the beginning, I wasn’t really very interested in doing any art or craft activity because I wasn’t simply enjoying it as much as other school activities. Not exactly sure, why I was not enjoying it as much, but it was probably because I was doing it alone. But, as our school got a new art teacher, later on, he understood the problem and decided to group the students like us together in order to make us collaborate with each other. Anyway, it is time to go back again to describe my “picture album” that I made in elementary school.
In order to make this album, I used some hard cardboard, some photo magnet papers, a hole puncher, and a couple of heavy binding cords. First, I cut strong cardboard into two sheets in the same size and dimension. After that, I cut as many sheets of photo magnet papers as I want to the same dimensions as the cardboard covers. Then, I just attached or stick those photo magnet papers with the cardboard in order to stack them in a layer on top of another. Finally, I punched two holes along one side of the stacked layers in order to tie them together with the cord binders by threading through the punched holes.
Anyway, I felt really great about this particular art and craft activity as I could actually see the result of my hard works with my own eyes. Besides, this particular activity also allowed me to share some good laughs and quality time with some of my other fellow students which otherwise wouldn’t be possible.
Sample Answer 2:
Thank you a lot for this opportunity to let me talk about an art or craft activity I did at school. School days were fun and I miss those days very much. I enjoyed all the art and craft classes and activit9ies involved in it. Once I made a book about me and it was an interesting experience to make a book all by myself and about me. The book contained various interesting information about me and my family. I also wrote about my friends in the book and added some pictures of them. In the later stages, the book became the best wealth for me. The cue card questions are standard and I love answering such smart questions. The answers continue below.
Preparing a book for me was difficult. As a child of seven or eight years old, I was unable to collect all the things. I needed paper, book design, crayons, markers, photos and obviously some information about me and my surrounding people placed on the book. My siblings helped me greatly to collect all the materials and make the work complete. I had to collect information and images from my friends and parents to fill spaces in the book.
The project was individual, but I took helps from my friends and particularly from my elder brother. My brother arranged the necessary materials. I asked to bring some coloured papers and he brought accordingly. Moreover, I asked a friend to collect information about a few other friends. One more thing to share. It was a time-bound project. The teacher allowed us only a day to complete the project and submit to her. I was glad to gather everything on time.
I enjoyed making the book and it was fun. I had never made such books or worked in such an art and craft project. Thanks to the teacher for her endeavour to arrange such an event. In fact, the entire process made me confident. I felt joy and pride inside me. My book was chosen as the best among the items submitted by many other students.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe an art and craft activity you did at school.
1. I made a Christmas card as part of my art and craft activity in school in Yorkshire in the UK. I had to collect some specific materials to make the card. I completed the task with the direct support of my dad.
2. When I was a third-grader at a local school in New York, I made a craft to present in the school. It was a USA flag. I collected a large piece of cloth and painted the flag. I took help from my elder sister for this purpose.
3. My School in Pune, India asked to make a craft and I had made two little dolls and made them traditional Indian attires. I had to collect some small fabrics to make them look like traditional dresses for females. Without my brother’s support, I think it could not have been possible for me.
4. As a young child of five years, it was truly hard for me to make the Sydney harbour bridge. I made it using plastics, papers and applied some colour to give it a final shape. My mom assisted me greatly to complete the bridge and I was appreciated highly in the school.
5. Marking the Canada Day, my school asked students to bring some artworks. I went with a Maple leaf. It was a large leaf made of plastic and paper. I also used scotch tape and glues. I did it all by myself and used a large leaf to take the measurement.
6. As a student of sixth grade in my school in the UAE, I made a desert scene, particularly a cactus in the desert. I used cucumbers, toothpicks, and sands to prepare the craft. I took the idea from my mother and she also arranged the necessary things to make it happen.
7. New Year celebrations are outstanding in Vietnam and I made a red dragon marking the event to present at my school. It was a complex process and I needed plastic cups, glues, colourful wrapping papers and more other things. A cousin helped me complete the project.
8. A hand-fan was the best craft made by me ever. In fact, I made it marking the Chinese New year Celebration in my primary school. It was made with colourful paper, two sticks, and threads. I got the idea from my dad and he also helped to stitch the fan.
Your preparation for this cue card topic would help you talk about the following topics as well:
1. Describe something you enjoyed doing in your childhood.
2. Describe a passion or hobby you had in your childhood.
3. Describe a subject or topic you enjoyed a lot in your school.
4. Describe an activity you think should be added to the school curriculum in your country.
5. Describe an activity you did with a group of people.
6. Describe something for what you had been praised once.
7. Describe something you did in the past but no longer do.