Cue Card 591 - Describe your favourite flower
- Last Updated: Wednesday, 17 November 2021 14:15
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 97080
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe your favourite flower.
You should say:
- what it is
- where it is grown
- if it is common in your country
and explain why it is your favourite flower.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Some people adore it as the “queen of the flowers” while others like to call it “the flower of beauty and love”. Poets around the world have also written many, many poems about this particular flower because of its exceptional beauty. But, as for me, I just like to call it my favourite flower.
The flower, I am talking about, is of course “Rose”. Recognized as the flower of love, sympathy or sorrow, the cultivation of roses first began in China some 5000 years ago. After that, the flower only kept conquering the minds and hearts of millions around the world with its 150 different species or more, because of its stunning beauty and fragrance.
By the way, when talking about its beauty, the petal structure of this flower is so intricate that it's almost impossible to do roses any real justice in art. This beautiful flower can come in all colours although a "black rose" is not actually black, rather it looks very much like “dark red”. Each colour has a different symbolic meaning to us. For example, red means love, orange symbolizes desire while yellow means “joy” and so on.
Roses typically grow in warm climates, and flower in the summer months, but some roses can grow in the hot tropical climate as well, while others can grow in winter temperatures that drop as low as -50 degrees Fahrenheit. So, roses essentially can grow in a number of different climates. However, as for my country, it grows pretty much anywhere, including home and out in the field. Many people in my country grow this plant on a commercial basis also as there is a huge demand for it. In fact, I would say, this flower is very common in my country.
Anyway, it is my favourite flower because they look just so gorgeous and it has some exceptional fragrance. Besides, they also add a very beautiful look to the room in which they are kept. Finally, they are my favourite flower also because they are easy to get when I need them for any special occasion.
Model Answer 2:
Sunflower, an amazingly beautiful flower that could be found in most parts of the world, is my favourite flower. The French word for sunflower literally means "turn with the sun" and sunflowers do just that, at least the young plants do. In my childhood when I noticed this attribution of this flower, I became fascinated about it. I would like to thank you for giving me the chance to talk about my favourite flower.
The botanical name of the common sunflower is "Helianthus Annus", which I did not know until I started my high school and had to memorise that for an exam. I also learned that sunflowers were first domesticated by Native Americans, who grew and harvested them thousands of years before the arrival of Europeans to North America.
Nowadays, this flower could be found in most parts of the world. Ukraine, Russia and Argentina are the top three sunflower seed producing countries in the world. This flower is widely available in my country and it is hard to find someone who is not enchanted with the beauty of this flower. So I would say, it is a pretty common flower in my country and many gardeners love to have it in their garden.
The practical use of this flower is also huge. Some seeds are produced for human consumption while the relatively smaller seeds are used in commercial bird and animal foods. In my country, sunflower seeds are also a popular source of cooking oil.
Why do I like this flower? Well, I love the way it blooms and shines like the sun. A bouquet of thousands - in one "flower" and this flower is the sunflower. The yellow petals and a dark and mystic centre that most of us think of as a sunflower isn't really one sunflower—it's hundreds of them. And this fact fascinates me. But, it is not my favourite flower for the mysticism it holds, rather the beauty it symbolises. My grandmother had a garden full of sunflowers, and it attracted butterflies and bees to our landscape and this flower truly filled my childhood with animation and ecstasy.
Sample Answer 3:
I would like to thank you for this opportunity to let me talk about my favourite flower. I love Corsage Orchid – the national flower of Brazil, more than any other flower I know about.
This flower grows in every region in Brazil but needs a warm temperature to grow well. I have two pots containing a few of these plants in my room, and they are a constant reminder of the beauty of nature to me. This is a great source of fresh fragrance for my living area also. People often term the flower as orchid queen for its beauty and extraordinary features.
The Corsage Orchid plant requires ample light and air to grow. A moderate temperature is a must for the plant to grow and bloom. The temperature, as referred by the pot plant experts, needs to be between 50 and 70-degree Fahrenheit. But the growers should mindful to protect leaves from excessive sunburn. It is better if someone can manage an open area to grow the plant. Since the plant requires little care to grow, it is popular among professional as well as amateur gardeners.
Brazil is located in the eastern part of South America. The climatic condition of the country supports the growth of such flower plants. Consequently, the flowers are available in plenty in Brazil. The history of Corsage Orchid to get the national flower status is interesting. Someone discovered this strange flower from some random leaves in Brazil and a few years later, the flower bloomed and enchanted everyone.
The corsage Orchid flower looks gorgeous and its fragrance makes me feel relaxed. The amazing colour of the flower is sure to enchant everyone and they last for a long. A large variety of this flower makes it more attractive to people. They shine brightly. So, I like this flower very much.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe your favourite flower.
1. My garden in front of my house in Montreal is filled with Dahlias. This is the flower that I like the most for different reasons. First of all, I can grow the flower inside the room and plant them outside when they are grown. Moreover, this flower is a symbol of beauty and they are so gorgeous to look at..
2. African Lily is a wonderful flower, and I love it the most for some specific reasons. The smell of this flower is quite different from other types of flowers and they look gorgeous. Besides, this is a common flower in the UK.
3. I love the Pink Anemone more than any other flower. Several varieties of this flower are available across North America. It does not require much light and heat for proper growth. Winter is the perfect time to see this flower bloom and charm the people who look at this flower.
4. In India, a wide variety of flowers are available and "Zinnia" is my favourite flower. The flower does not need any specific climatic conditions to grow and flourish. I, actually, am in love with the flower for its exceptional fragrance and look.
5. The number of Japanese flowers is really large, but I adore the Japanese Cherry (also known as Sakura) the most. The flower is mainly available during the spring season. At the end of the winter, the flower announces the arrival of the spring season and people in my country love this flower very much.
6. China Rose is often considered the queen of all flowers for its special attractions. The flower is available around the year in China, and I like it for its distinctive colour and charming smell. The flower has been declared as the city flower in our country, and, of course, it is my favourite flower.
7. "Frangipani" is my favourite flower for many reasons. The flower looks extraordinary and is used mostly for worshipping purposes at the temples in Thailand. The flower is found in white, pink and yellow colours. They are impressive to look at.
8. In Russia, we have many different flowers all around the year, and I prefer Chamomile the most. This is a member of the daisy flower family. I am basically in love with the fragrance of this flower. Besides, this is the national flower of our country and that makes it more important to the citizens of Russia.
9. Germany has some distinct flowers and among them, Arnica is my favourite one. The flower is used for different purposes and sometimes for medicinal purposes as well. Arnica is also available in some other Asian and European countries.
If you can talk about this cue card topic, you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Describe a common flower in your country.
2. Describe something beautiful you like so much.
3. Describe something you love to get as a gift.
4. Describe a beautiful flower you know about.