IELTS Cue Card Sample 596 - Describe a significant historic event in your country
- Last Updated: Monday, 13 November 2017 17:39
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 1867
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a significant historic event in your country.
You should say:
- what it is
- when it happened
- what happened
and say why it is a significant historical event for your country.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
The assassination of Abraham Lincoln was one of the significant historical events in the USA. Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes, a renowned actor of that time. Wilkes was a sympathizer of the Confederate and it was a vengeance by him to Lincoln. Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago, Lincoln had dreamt of his assassination and shared the issue with some of his security officials. But he could not survive the day finally. This is an interesting cue card task and here are the remaining answers in brief.
The assassination took place on April 14 in 1865. It was the evening when the attack was made by John Wilkes. It was a kind of revenge from the belief that Lincoln was the root cause for damaging the South while the assassinator thought that Lincoln dishonoured the people and institutions of the South. So, he assassinated Lincoln. At that time Lincoln was delivering a speed before a group of audience.
It was one of the worst moments for the nation when Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. He was a great man and loved the countrymen. He underwent ‘situations’ but handled them successfully. His assassination was a great loss for the country. Abraham Lincoln was shot in the back of his head with a 44 calibre derringer pistol and he went into coma for around nine hours. He did not wake up from the coma and died.
This is an important historical event for the USA. Abraham Lincoln tried to make the country united, carried important role to remove slavery and many other humanitarian activities. In line with the assassination, some other events also took place to destroy the administration of Abraham Lincoln. Later, a manhunt was done to search out the assassinator, John Wilkes. Sadly, it was a great loss for us.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a significant historic event in your country.
1. Bombing in Nagasaki was a black event in Japanese history. In 1945, during the Second World War, a bomb stormed the city and claimed around 40,000 lives. It was the nuclear attack on the country and people went through unbearable sufferings.
2. The demolition of Babri Masjid in India was a historical event. In fact, this was a great assault on the Muslim community of the country. Political leaders tied to gain their own interest in the event. The riot killed and injured many people.
3. The launch of television began in 1929 and it was an experiment. Initially, the television was launched from Melbourne and then the stations spread in some other but the mainstream television was launched in 1956.
4. In 2000, the primary and secondary education was made compulsory for every child in Singapore. Earlier, it was not mandatory for children and the Compulsory Education Act has made it so which has been enacted in 2003.
5. The discovery of oil in Dammam Dome was a historical event for Saudi Arabia. In fact, oil drilling was continued in the region for the past couple of years, and geologists had lost their hopes about oil in this region.
6. The history of Malaysia is enriched with numerous events but I think the birth of the state as an independent nation is the best one. It became independent in 1957 as Federation of Malaya from British domination.
7. In 1990, the German football team had defeated the Argentine football team. It was the final match to decide the winner of 1990 FIFA World Cup. The match took place in Rome and Germany scored the only goal in the match.
8. The civil unrest in 2016 was a historical event for Hong Kong and it resulted in a crackdown on unlicensed street hawkers. It had several negative impacts and there was severe violence between protestors and police.
9. A major earthquake took place on June 1 in 1990 in Iran. The earthquake had some serious consequences on the lives and properties of the local people. It had killed nearly 40,000 people and the destruction of properties was also unusual.
If you can talk about this cue card topic, you should be able to answer the following topics as well:
1. Describe a historical event which is important for your country.
2. Describe something everyone in your country knows about.
3. Describe a famous event in your country.