IELTS Cue Card Sample 600 - Describe a shop or store you often go to
- Last Updated: Friday, 10 November 2017 18:39
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 5268
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a shop or store you often go to.
You should say:
- where it is
- what type of people go there for shopping
- what types of goods are sold there
and explain why you go there and like/dislike most about it.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
‘Coffee Time’ is a coffee shop which is located near my university campus and they make the best coffee in the town. It is on the 4th floor of the Grand R Plaza building which is just 3 blocks away from my university. Thank you, sir/madam, for this lovely cue card topic.
Students, teachers and office executives who love coffee, milkshake, tea, fast food and like to play billiards mostly visit this coffee shop. Though this shop has a menu with over 20 items, coffee is their hot selling product. I sometimes drink tea or eat a sandwich, but most of the time go there to have a refreshing cup of hot coffee. They sell both hot and cold coffee and as far as I recall, they have more than 10 variations of their coffee.
I would easily attest them as the best coffee maker in the town. I love their coffee and mainly visit this shop for that. The opportunity to play billiards for free seems like a discount to me! Apart from that, they have a great environment and polite and professional staff members to serve the customers. I sometimes sit there to chat with my friends or pass an hour and there is no rush to empty the seat for a new customer. I love their music choice, interior design, and friendly attitude. They even offer a complementary menu to regular customers. The only thing I dislike about them is the time they take to serve an item. It’s like I have to wait around 20-25 minutes every time I order something. The time delay to actually serve an item must irritate office executives who are in hurry! I have notified them that it is so annoying for some to wait for so long only for a cup of coffee or tea and their excuse to my complaint was something like - ‘We take time to serve a customer because we value quality and the taste. And to make sure the food taste, we give our best effort.’ The response might seem a little lame to others, but I don’t mind waiting for few extra minutes especially when I have time to kill or have some friends with me to talk to.
Sample Answer 2:
The shop, named as “The Daily Shop”, is located in the middle of the street where I live in the city of Samsun in Turkey. This is a large superstore and sells a wide variety of goods and products. The shop has some positive aspects. First of all, it is accessible from any part of the city for its geographical location. Further, the inner decoration of the shop is also adorable and attracts customers a lot. This is an interesting cue card topic and I glad to have it. I will answer the reaming questions and describe the shop in brief. And thank you for the opportunity to let me talk about it.
The shop is for everyone and sells numerous types of goods. But I have noticed the number of males is more than any other types of people. I think there are several reasons behind the increased number of males in this shop. Actually, the males are mostly responsible to shop for the household and in this consequence, they move for shopping and found mostly in the shopping stores. But when it is about occasional shopping, usually females also accompany their men.
The shop mostly sells the daily necessaries like the canned foods, toiletries, cosmetics, fruits, groceries, vegetables, dairy products, fish, packaged foods, various types of meats like beef, chicken, soft beverages like juice and numerous other goods. Most importantly, all the goods are sold in a good state and quality of each of the products is ensured.
I frequently visit the shop as it is adjacent to my residence. So, while returning from my work, I pay the visit there. And it has become a habit for me to check some of the parts of the shop to know the latest updates about the products like toiletries and perfumes. I also like the way they serve the clients.
Cue Card Topic: Describe a shop or store you often go to.
1. My mom has diabetes. She often gets hyper. So I need to visit the drug store located at the end of my street where I live in Paris. I need to buy medicines for her. The most irritating thing is that she often skips the medicines.
2. I take care my cell phone and often visit the phone accessories shop at a local shopping mall here in Thailand. The shop sells different types of mobile accessories like the mobile cover, tempered glass protectors etc.
3. I need groceries every day and so I visit the grocer’s shop. The shop is on the ground floor on the apartment block I live in Indonesia. It has become helpful for me and often I use my debit card to purchase groceries.
4. The subject of urban planning requires completing numerous projects and often I need to visit the DIY stores. I am a student of a local university in Malaysia and frequently visit the 'Help Yourself DIY' store located near my university.
5. Reading books is a great hobby for me. I also like to add new books to my personal library. So, I frequently buy books from a local bookstore named – The Book Lovers. It sells various types of books and reading materials.
6. Wearing new dresses is my passion and I like to follow the trendy dresses. Every month I get some newer clothing. So, I have to visit the clothing store frequently. But I prefer to have my clothes from the street shops in Shanghai. The prices are affordable and they have a great variation.
7. My baby boy is only one-and-a-half-year-old. I frequently buy different types of toys for the baby. Hence, I need to go to the toy shops regularly. I visit the toy store in the Broadway in New York City at least once in a week.
8. Visiting the newspaper stand daily has become a habit for me. I collect my newspaper from the seller every morning as my home is located at the end of Hang Dong, a street in Hanoi in Vietnam. Delivery service is unavailable there and I visit the newspaper stand to have my copy.
Your preparation for the cue card topic - "Describe a shop or store you often go to" would help you to talk about the following topics as well:
1. Describe shop or store near your home.
2. Describe small shop that you frequently go to.
3. Describe your favourite shop.
4. Describe a shop or market that has a large number of customers.
5. Describe a shop that sells expensive products.
6. Describe a shop or store that sells antique items.
7. Describe a shop from where you purchase gift items.
8. Describe a shop or market that has recently opened in your locality.