Academic IELTS Writing task 1 Sample 83 - Pie charts below give data on the spending and consumption of resourses
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 17 October 2017 17:41
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 57253
IELTS Academic Writing Task 1/ Graph Writing - Pie Charts:
» You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The pie charts below give data on the spending and consumption of resources by countries of the world and how the population is distributed.
Write a report for a university lecturer describing the information shown below.
» Write at least 150 words.
The given pie charts show data on world population, the spending of people in basic needs and their share of resource consumption. As is presented in the graph, people of the world spent most of their amount for their foods and more than half of the population lives in Asia whereas more than half of the resources are consumed by the USA and European people.
According to the first pie chart, people of the world on an average spent 24% on foods. In clothing, they spent 6% while this percentage is double for housing and triple for the transport. The remaining 40% is the combination of other categories for spending. The second pie chart shows that more than half of the world populations live in Asia continent while Europe & America have both only 14% of the total population. One-tenth of the world population lives in Africa and rest of the 5% people live in other places of the world. Finally, the third pie chart shows that though that 60% of world resources are consumed by the population of USA and Europe though their percentage is only 28% in total. The remaining 40% resources are shared among the rest of the 72% world population of other regions of the world.
It can be clearly seen that Asian content has the highest population but the greatest resource consumption is done by Americans and Europeans. Moreover, food and transport cost the highest percentage for people.
Now, turning to the details, people all around the world spend most of their money on food, transport and housing. Almost one-quarter of the total spending goes to food, while transport and housing require 18 and 12 percentages of that. Clothing comprises 6% of total spending for the global population.
Again, more than half of the world population live in Asia while Europe and America each contain 14% of the global population. And one out of ten people lives in Africa. Despite comprising around a quarter of the global population, Europe and America record for 60% of the global resources. Rest of the world with around 75% population has only 40% global resources to utilise.
Overall, the proportion of the population, spending and resource-consumption worldwide has a great disparity. The most populated continent is Asian while the consumption of resources is the highest in the USA and Europe.
According to the first pie chart, people's major expenses go on food, clothing, housing and transport. Food expenditure is 24%, and 18% expenses go on transportation while 12 per cent on housing respectively. Finally, people spend the least amount (6 per cent) on clothing. The remaining 40% is for all other necessities.
On the other hand, the most populated continent is Asia that comprises more than half of the global population (53 per cent). However, the USA and Europe are inhabited by 14% population of the world. Interestingly, despite the fewer population in the USA and Europe, their consumptions of resources are exponentially higher at 60 per cent, whereby the rest of the world has a total of 40% resources to consume.
Overall, the resource consumption by the American and European people are dramatically higher comparing to that of other continents, whereas the highest portion of the population is distributed in Asian countries.
In terms of world expenditure, most of the people in the world spent more money on food. Although the population in America and Europe in combination is only 28% of the total, their consumption of the world resources represents 60% of total consumption. 57% of the world population lives in Asia while Africa and other areas take up only 15% of the total population. The trend of expenditure on essential goods like food represents almost one-fourth, and then transportation and housing expenditures are 18% and 12% respectively. The spending ratio on clothing is slightly lower, only 6%. The other categories represent 40% of total expenditure.